• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] How would you guys react if it was revealed that there will be no trainer customisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'd be pretty disappointed. I don't think it's that important, but it would be a nice addition.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • Because of its presence in the previous 2 generations, it'd be a pretty big bummer to me if it was suddenly removed. I've always found it fun giving my character more of a personal touch appearance wise. I really do hope it's still in, and with many more options to choose from to further give off that feeling of putting ourselves into the game.

Years
  • don't matter to me. i rarely use it. fun to change clothes though. would be fun if they amp the customizations a bit more for the next few generations

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I actually really like the female protagonist's outfit, but I would like to be able to customize - it wasn't something I thought would be a big deal in a Pokemon game until they actually started incorporating it, and I really had a blast customizing my characters in the games that allowed it.

Years
  • It'd be a bummer, but like... I don't feel too strongly about it? I think the female protagonist looks fine enough (albeit a little boring but still) that I wouldn't be bothered that much if there was no trainer customization in these games.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    If the customization was deep, like Fallout, Skyrim or an mmo like City of Heroes, perhaps I would be upset if it were not added. However, I do not recall Pokemon ever having deep customization. Therefore, I could deal with it being dropped. Not game breaking for me, unless it was an integral part of the game imo.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I would be a bit disappointed but SM/USUM didn't have that great of customization than XY so I mean .. guess it depends. ): If they're going to be lacking like in Gen Seven then I wouldn't mind skipping it if that makes sense

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i would be disappointed, but it is not a deal breaker for me. at the very least, as long as there is still a choice of skin tone, i'll be happy. to remove that would be a massive step back. my hope is that there will be better customization than the previous games to have the option, though. there's been enough games and enough time to figure out what works and what fans want. i would say take the animal crossing route and let us have basically whatever kind of hair style and color we want and have a larger options on clothing, but i know that's not the focus of this game so i'm not setting my expectations high.

Bhima

Hackrom Improver/Remaker
    Years
  • I wouldn't really care at all, I would just find it either disappointing or a bit questionable that they went back with this after the generally positive feedback they've gotten. No one really seemed to complain about it. If they didn't like it, they just avoided it.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'd be maybe 2% disappointed? Give or take. While I really enjoy trainer customization, it won't make much of a game play difference tbh!

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
  • I would be kind of disappointed, since I felt that it gave a sense of individuality to the game, but I would still buy it since it wouldn't really be too big of an issue.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It would definitely sour my expectations on what the rest of the game has to offer, considering that character customization, to the degree seen in past generations, would be far easier to implement on the programming side of things than, say, a collection of post-game battle facilities. Trainer customization is also quite beloved, and goes hand-in-hand with the idea of "each adventure is unique" that comes with every Pokémon title.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'd be angry. Trainer customization has been a staple in the Pokemon games (with the exception of ORAS) since it was introduced. Why remove it now? Trainer Customization makes the games feel more personalized to me since I'm not just the same trainer as everyone else, just with a different name.

Years
  • I mean, I'm going to buy Sword or Shield either way, so at the end of the day it wouldn't make a big difference. Still, it would be a big step backwards to take it out of the games after featuring in every game since X/Y (sans ORAS for obvious reasons).

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    A Japanese design contest confirmed that there will be trainer customization in these games. This thread is no longer necessary as a result and should be locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back