• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] I beat SoulSilver with a "bad" team

Years
  • A long time ago I tried to finish SoulSilver with a team of Pokémon that are considered bad. I was having a hard time against the Elite Four so I gave up. After so many time passed, I decided to take the same challenge again, thist time with no total status limit. It allowed me to use Chikorita and see if it's as bad as its haters claim. (Spoiler: it isn't.)

Well, actually, I didn't plan to make a thread for this run until I was about to challenge the E4, so I'll just make very brief summary of the playthrough and detail the E4 battles.

I didn't choose Nature or Ability for my Pokémon. My team after defeating Lance is:

ledian-f.png
    GKuwagamon - Ledian (F) @ Bright Powder
    Ability: Swarm
    Level: 50
    Quirky Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Safeguard
    - Silver Wind
    - Baton Pass

meganium.png
    Hydramon - Meganium (M) @ Miracle Seed
    Ability: Overgrow
    Relaxed Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Synthesis
    - Frenzy Plant
    - Poison Powder

wobbuffet-f.png
    Lilithmon - Wobbuffet (F) @ Experience Share
    Ability: Shadow Tag
    Level: 49
    Naive Nature
    - Counter
    - Mirror Coat
    - Safeguard
    - Destiny Bond

dunsparce.png
    Goddramon - Dunsparce (M) @ Shell Bell
    Ability: Run Away
    Sassy Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rollout
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder

corsola.png
    Dragomon - Corsola (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Hustle
    Level: 51
    Quirky Nature
    - Surf
    - Shadow Ball
    - Ice Beam
    - Ancient Power

A brief summary of the gym challenge:

Falkner and Bugsy were no problem at all. Whitney was hard. Morty was only possible because Dunsparce had learned Pursuit. Chuck, Jasmine and Pryce were easy. Clair was like a test before Lance. I taught Ice Beam to Corsola to make it sweep the dragons, but it really didn't went well against Clair. This made me decide to use a Choice Specs strategy.

Finally, the Elite Four:

Vs Will

Corsola defeated Xatu and Jynx with Ancient Power. Ledian took Exeggutor down. Dunsparce lost to Xatu, and then Corsola defeated it but lost to Slowbro. Meganium finished Slowbro.

Vs Koga

Ledian led the team. I used Safeguard, Swords Dance and Baton Pass, bringing Dunsparce to the battle to sweep the whole team.

Vs Bruno

I started with Ledian again. It used two Swords Dance and Baton Passed to Dunsparce. It defeated Hitmontop but was knocked out by Hitmonlee. I sent out Wobbuffet, that shined for the first time in this night, defeating Hitmonlee with his powerful Counters. Bruno sent out Onix, so it was Meganium's time to enter the battle. He defeated not only the rocky snake but Hitmonchan as well. Bruno sent out his last Pokémon, Machamp, and I kept Meganium in the battle. I used Poison Powder, healed with Synthesis two times and finished it with Frenzy Plant.

Vs Karen

Ledian is the lead again. This time I set up three Swords Dance before bringin Dunsparce in. I defeated Umbreon and Gengar too, but unfortunately the latter one used Destiny Bond before fainting, taking Dunsparce with it. Then Corsola defeated Houndoom, Wobbuffet defeated Vileplume and weakend Murkrow before fainting. Corsola also lost to Murkrow, leaving the mission of winning to Meganium, that avenged his mates.

Vs the Champion - Lance

Ledian managed to set up one Swords Dance and Baton Passed to Dunsparce. I used Rollout, but Gyarados defeated Dunsparce before receiving any big damage. Wobbuffet defeated Gyarados and OH-KOed Aerodactyl. Corsola OH-KOed Charizard with Ancient Power, leaving only the powerful Dragonites left. The first one used Thunder, making Corsola faint. Wobbuffet brought Dragonite down with Destiny Bond. I sent Meganium in to the battle. With Poison Powder and Body Slam, I defeated Dragonite (and a bit of luck, cause Fire Blast missed). The last Dragonite was the one that knows Blizzard, and it defeated Meganium. Only Ledian was left, and I sacrificed it to revive Corsola. Now I needed to land that Ice Beam to win. And... it landed! I defeated Lance!

And that's it! I only needed one attempt to defeat the E4, and my Pokémon weren't really overleveled. Each Pokémon played its role to bring the victory to the team. Together, they were strong. This was a really memorable run.

I'll make a pause now but I'll go to Kanto eventually. Don't expect updates too soon.

Back