• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Can Speak Latin!

Years
  • Only English unfortunately we were forced to learn French or German in the first 2 years of high school but I dropped it as soon as I could, i'd love to learn Spanish but I dont really have the time.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I speak Portuguese and English, can understand most Spanish, and that's enough. Was never really good at languages.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • I'm fluent in English and fairly fluent in American Sign Language, though I need to brush back up on it.

I'd love to learn Japanese. I tried to take Spanish and Latin in school though, and don't really have a knack for picking up written language well, so I'd really have to dedicate myself if I wanted to learn Japanese.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I love the amount of weebs in this thread.

My mother tongue is Romanian, and I'm pretty fluent in English and not really in French. I also know a bit of German and Polish.

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
    Years
  • aside from english? bits and peices of 10 other languages:

italian
    irish
    german
    latin
    sweedish
    chinese
    japanese
    russian
    spanish
    french

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I speak French as my first language.
    Obviously I can speak a bit in English :P

But that's it.

Years
  • I only speak fluent English, because I was born that way. If I could ever have to learn a new language, I'd definitely take French or Japanese because I think they are the respective beautiful and cute languages.

Years
  • Well, growing up in Texas, I know English and Spanish fluently. I'm not Latino, but a lot of my friends are, so I just kinda started picking it up when I started going to school, and plus its super helpful for work.

Yukari

I've also been teaching myself Japanese. I intend to one day be fluent in it, though right now I only know enough to make myself look like an idiot. xD

I also know a little bit of Spanish and French. Emphasis on "A little bit."

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I'm also kind of a language freak myself, like to learn a little of each, so I'm one of few that has fun trying to play Pokemon in other languages. Can't wait to have my own adventure in Chinese.

For myself, I'm fluent in English and Spanish - able to read, write, speak, ,and type.

For learning - really love the Scandinavian (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Faroese) and Baltic (Finnish, Estonian, Latvian, Latgalian, Lithuanian) languages.
    The one language I would love to learn is Faroese.

Years
  • English, English, and...uh, English.

Sadly. :( I love languages, I love being able to learn them, I just haven't chased after learning them in any recent era. I've taken both French and German classes before, I wouldn't mind being able to relearn those (I can still read and understand a very tiny bit of both, but not enough to be of any use). Japanese has been on my list for quite a while, and I'm trying to think of what other languages I would love to learn. I feel like Italian might have been one, but not sure at the moment. Or maybe it was Spanish. I honestly do not remember.

Years
  • English is my 1st language

I'm in the process of learning Italian and Japanese. Very slowly I might add.

I've taken Spanish classes before and probably will pick it back up next semester since having that skill would be very valuable since it's the second most spoken language here in the US.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • English, Filipino, Chinese, Japanese.

Obviously the first two are taught here in the country as part of the school curriculum. I remember an experience in Early Grade School where people in English Class were "punished" for speaking in native tongue. But I don't mean punish like a spanking or an actual punishment but are sharply reminded to remember that "This is an English Class" kind of thing. One of these experiences that i remember was the whole "Pay a peso" for every Non-English word that someone says in English class. I had a lot of salty classmates who kinda hated me because i adhered to that rather lulz system quite well.

One of the things i hate about the society I'm in is that there exists people who call fluent English speakers such as myself a certain term or label, and mind you that label that some Filipinos call us Fluent English speakers is really offensive that I can't even say it here without sounding weird. Like really? Its a thing to them. They think us Fluent English speaking Filipinos are some stuck ups.

Years
  • I speak Afrikaans and English fluently.

Otherwise I know bits and pieces of the German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, Latin, French, and Italian languages.

I am currently focused on becoming fluent in German, Japanese, and potentially Spanish. Though, when I'll actually start trying, I do not know.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    English and Spanish.

English is my most fluent language, obviously. My mom is spanish, so I have enough grasp of the spanish language to get myself through a conversation and I'm able to read and write a little bit of it. I haven't practiced the latter two nearly enough though so I'm not really fluent in it, but the most common things you see I can definitely pick out and such. So I'd do okay if I went to a latino country again haha.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I speak English and Spanish fluently because both were taught and required in my school district. I also took German for 4 years but it didn't stick because I never use it. People only speak English, Spanish, French and Mandarin in my area.

A coworker is teaching me French and I'm helping her with her English! It's fun. She's from Haiti so she speaks Haitian Creole, too, on top of French and English. I've been wanting to learn French for years because we have a large population of people that are from either Quebec, Haiti, or South Africa.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Living in Spain, I have a pretty decent grasp of Spanish. I learnt English in school since I was 5, and I can sort of handle Catalan as well due to my dad living in that area of the country for the better part of the last three decades.

Tried studying French at secondary school but it was terrible so I gave up :(

Back