• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 8] I have no expectations for this game - Janp's first Shield playthrough

Years
  • Let's see what Galar is all about

I guess it's time for me to finally give Gen VIII a try. When the Switch was released, I promised myself to get it when new Pokémon games are released on it. But then GF released Let's GO games and I was so sick of Kanto that I postponed my Switch purchase to the new mainline Pokémon game release. But then GF released Sword and Shield and those games honestly looked so bad. I don't really care about Dexit or meh graphics, but this game felt like it took the worst out of all previous Pokémon games and compiled it into one bad package. So I opt out of buying Switch even then. I got Switch when Monster Hunter Rise was released, but still had some hope to get Pokémon game on it. Yeah, no luck so far and after the last trailer for Scarlet and Violet, I have a bad feeling that even those games won't be worth 60€. But I was able to get Shield for quite a small price, so let's see if it was worthy...

Years
  • The "don't drop this game before the end" run in Pokémon Shield

I have no expectations for this game - Janp's first Shield playthrough

UPDATE 1

So, let's start. Warning! I will probably be unnecessarily toxic and critical because so far the game isn't really trying to change my mind about it.

The beginning cutscene is weird. It's not bad per say, but no voice acting looks weird. The masses of fans also looked like they were taken from early 2000s FIFA or NHL games. But I like this introduction. It's nice change from the usual introduction done by the professor.

Then, I finally get to play. And I already have a pet peeve with the game. Everyone tell me to get MY bag, but there is only MY DAD'S bag in my room. Does this mean the game can't be finished because I can't finish this very first quest. Sadly, no.

This introduction part has a loads of dialogue. Bad dialogue. Everyone is repeating same few lines over and over again. Well, to be honest, I was expecting this, since this is exactly what happens in every Pokémon game. Anyway, after some more dialogue, I could finally pick my starter. I don't like Galar starters at all. They have one of the worst Pokémon design. Many people don't like that they are too humanoid, but my biggest problem with them is they set characterization, role and personality. Cinderace is more footballer than bunny and Inteleon is more spy than lizard. And these roles goes completely against what made earlier starters great. I get it, it's easier to market them this way, but it also makes them so boring. So I picked Grookey, since it's the lesser evil out of these starters.

Now, probably the best part of the game happened (at least so far and I'm 99% sure nothing will beat it in the rest of the game). Something I always loved about each new Pokémon game. I had to come up with nicknaming theme. I decided to go with my cheeses. And so, my first Pokémon is Camembert, the Grookey. Camembert is currently my favourite cheese. I usually slice it open, season it with paprika spice, put ham and onion in it and let it spend few minutes in the oven so it melts a little bit. Not really healthy, but it tastes great.

First battle with Hop was so slow and boring. Cool, he has 2 Pokémon. None of them even attacked me once. And for some reason, Hop first commented on how I already know about type advantage and then shortly after told be if I want to know what is type advantage.

I like next part in Slumbering Weald. It's something new to the series and helps the game gets more cinematic. Not use if that's the right word to use tho. But hopefully you know what I mean. It's refreshing to see this kind of thing in Pokémon.

And after all this, the game finally starts. My mum gives me 30 000 Pokédollars for some reason. And I have to really ask why? 30 000 means I can buy anything I need until the end of the game without beating any trainers. This just makes any reward for beating them useless.

I went through the same linear route I already had to get in tutorial and caught my first Pokémon. I had a really hard time deciding, who I want to use, because I like Gen VIII designs. In the end, I decided to switch around and catch more than 6 Pokémon. I caught Emmental, the Rookidee. Probably the first time I've used regional bird on my first playthrough since Johto games. Emmental is also fairly high on my cheese list, but it's so expensive in my country, so I don't buy it as much as Camembert and some other cheeses I'll talk later. I love how Emmental tastes. It reminds me of hazelnuts, but I never found out if hazelnuts are one of the ingredients. Now that I think about it, I could check it, since I have one in the fridge right now.

I got to Wedgehurst, did some mandatory stuff and then... WHAT THE HELL? A SKIPPABLE TUTORIAL? In modern Pokémon? What were they thinking? Now kids playing this game will never find out how to catch Pokémon! Oh and Leon gave me 20 Poké Balls, so it renders my money even more worthless.

Now, this update is getting a little longer than I thought it would be, but I ended up my session after beating the first Gym. I probably shouldn't do DLC stuff in between. So, let's talk a little bit about Wild Area. It looks so bad. It's an empty green flat area with barely any content in it. And you can't really encounter Galar Pokémon in here, which makes it useless for me, since I want to use only Galar Pokémon. I run around for a bit, got some items I'm not sure I was suppose to get, because they were in the high level areas and in the end tried Raid Battles. And I like them. They are once again something new, but I have a bad feeling that I'll get bored of them quickly, especially since I mostly play with NPCs. I caught some Pokémon in Raid Battle, but since they are not Galar Pokémon, I put them in the box. Which I have to say is nice to have access to everywhere. I also like rewards that I got for beating each Raid. I probably spent more time and had more fun that I'm willing to admit. Really a highlight of the game.

And let's end it here with positive vibes. Like I said, I'm already done with the first Gym, but I feel like this is long enough wall of text that even a Pendulum enthusiasts would find tedious.

Team

Will be updated next time​

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    If feel your pain with Wild Area and the lack of Galar Pokémon! I spent weeks catching everything I could before getting to that first gym though, because I'm turning into a Pokédex-obsessive. Oh, and I hated the starters too and also ended up with Grookey!

I doubt Emmental has nuts in it - I think Cheese and Wine are the same in that you somehow get these hints of flavour because of the various bacteria etc. involved in the maturation.

Years
  • The "don't drop this game before the end" run in Pokémon Shield

UPDATE 2

It took me quite a while to get back to this game. It's just so uninteresting, but I decided to beat it before Scarlet and Violet are released.

I got Galarian Slowpoke and started 1st DLC stuff. Right at the start, I encountered and caught Applin. In the end, I never used it, so after I was done with 1st and 2nd Trial of this DLC, I just sent it to the box. I once again explored and did few Raids there. I got Clobbopus and it's so cute. I put it on my team and checked how to evile it. It needs to know Taunt to evolve. And I just happened to get Taunt TR earlier. One Rare Candy later and I have fully evolved Pokémon before the first Gym.

The content of the DLC was okay, but dear god, GF's laziness was showing in some parts. Like "running" Slowpoke don't even have running animation. Or the fact that you can't jump from ledges.

I tried to do the whole DLC story, but the final Trial required stronger Pokémon. I returned back to the mainland and caught Milcery on Route 4. It took me some time, because I was constantly ambushed by wild Pokémon in the overworld, but in the end I got one. And after figuring out how to evolve it, I failed to get one of the needed items for quite some time. So Milcery just stayed as Milcery and I barely used it in the battle for now.

I got to Turffield and finally challenged my first Gym. The Gym mission was... I'm sorry, why is this here? All I did was to go straight up. I literally didn't do anything else! I was just walking straight up and the mission solved itself. I dodged all the trainers and obstacles just by going up. I ge that this is the first mission, but if it was replaced with a linear hallway, nothing would change in my gameplay. At least the Gym battle will be fine, right? It was over in 3 turns. I Dynamaxed my Corvisquire and just spam my flying move in that wanna-be Z-move version.

At this point, the game got extremely linear. I got past Route 5 and to Hulbury City in like 5 minutes. The Gym mission here was a lot better. By being exactly the same as the puzzle we got multiple times for Water gyms. But I liked the visuals of this Gym. Reminded me of Super Mario Sunshine for some reason. Anyway, the battle with Nessa was pretty much the same as with Milo. I Dynamaxed my starter and just one-shot everything.

After going through 2 more straight lines (that game wanted me to believe are a route and a mine), I got back to Motostoke and for story reasons I had to battle Marnie. Finally the time for Milcery to shine. I like her design and her team to be honest. Morpeko is fun Pokémon.

Now, while I was in Motostoke, I challenged the local gym. And there was finally a cool mission. That's so weird to actually find something original in this game. I caught 3 Fire-types and decided to put Sizzlipede on my team. It's my new headcanon that I saved it from the other trainer, so it decided to join me. Battle with Kabu was also a lot better than with the previous 2 Leaders. I had no Pokémon that would have clear advantage, so I just went in with what I had. I used Slowpoke to slowly beat Ninetales, then switched to Grapploct and found my new favourite strategy. I've used Octolock, and then set up Bulk Ups. This basically meant that my while my power grew, my opponent's defenses were weaker and weaker. With this new strat, I beat the rest of Kabu's team.

Few (straight) lines of exposition and routes later and I'm in another location - Stow-on-Side. Wait, actually no. I almost forgot to talk abou it, but new portion of Wild Area got unlocked at this point. And it was so empty. there was a Nursery, but that was it. There even weren't any new Raids active, so I just went past it. And suddenly, I found myself underleveled. By a lot. And only after that I got to Stow-on-Side.

I had a hard time with Hau Hop, because of the sudden level spike. It seems GF really expects players to spend time in the Wild Area. In the end, I beat him, but it was close. Because of that, I wasn't that sure about the following Gym battle. I really had no clear answer to Ghost-types and it just so happened that Allister's Gengar has good coverage for my whole team. I did underestimate this little guy and his Gengar easily set up +3 Sp. Attack using Max Ooze. And since I had no faster Pokémon, Gengar swept my team. Now... That's something I didn't expect. But looking at it now, there were enough signs. I went in underleveled, I still had unevolved Pokémon and I barely touched their movesets or leveled up their Dynamax levels.

So, I returned to the DLC and finished the last Trial. My starter evolved into Rillaboom during this time and so I used Max Soup to let it Gigantamax. I also slowly started getting items to get Galarian Slowking and that item to evolve Milcery. Right now, I just entered Crown Tundra DLC to get Galarian Slowking.

Back