• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen I honestly think that Gen 1 is horrible

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I didn't hate FRLG "exclusively" for it though. the sprites were what they were at the time. Its not like we had a clear vision of what good sprites were. i personally believe they were stiff. So i can't hate FRLG so strongly just because of that.

True... It's a Gen 3 problem, not a FRLG problem, specifically. I never thought any of the Gen 3 games took good advantage of the GBA's capabilities. (It's both sad and hilarious how Crystal has better animated sprites than Emerald, or how RS and FRLG didn't have animated sprites, period, despite coming out after Crystal.)

FRLG gave you access to the original Pokemon so that you can trade with RBE..

Which made the games pointless if you didn't own or care about RSE. Now, that RSE, themselves, are outdated and obsolete (enough to warrant remakes), they're even more pointless.

I'd much rather have improved mechanics and better general usage on top of better graphics than the nearly-unplayable mess that is R/B/Y. Recently, I tried replaying Yellow but found the battle mechanics to be so aggravating that I gave my game cartridge away. Graphics are not the only component to deciding if a game is better.

At least FR/LG aren't a mess of glitches that could potentially destroy your save file.

Though I say this as someone who says that FR/LG are their second favorite Pokemon mainline games.

If that "improvement" is yucky Gen 3 graphics and battling mechanics, no thanks. FRLG don't even have a P/S Split! Or, animated sprites. Or, at least, partially 3D graphics. (Gen 3 was a pretty big zone of suck for the franchise, IMO. Thank goodness we've got ORAS to salvage the Hoenn games from that... Now all that's left is a new Gen 1 remake.)

The only thing Yellow is arguably superior to FRLG is the Stat.Exp. system, but everything else FRLG beats Yellow: type chart, Special split, level up movepools.

If that's your criteria, then I'd look into this hack. It'll have all of those things (plus Fairies and a P/S Split), sans the split Special Stat.

I don't understand the Crobat complaint because it's ONE Pokémon. It's stupid to not be able to evolve Golbat, but the intention of the game was to preserve the RBY gameplay. This means the same Pokémon roster as RBY, basically the same "weapons" you had to beat the game in 1st gen.

Did you know that Crobat was one of 60 Gen 2 Pokémon that were originally planned for Gen 1? Or, that its cry even existed in Red/Blue's data? The Pokémon was clearly supposed to be in Gen 1 in the first place, so why couldn't we have it in the remakes?

Only all of them are much improved. Charizard is supposed to be hard mode in 1st gen but the boosts it got post RBY make it very powerful for the game. You should only really have problems with Misty if you choose Charmander.

Not if your favorite Pokémon is Persian (crithax Slash), Gyarados (Base 100 Special), or Victreebel (crithax Razor Leaf, broken Wrap, Base 100 Special). Charizard isn't the only Pokémon that matters. (And, it still wasn't that good in FRLG, anyways... XY was where it really shone.)

Sabrina isn't even a big deal anyway. Alakazam is made of paper in 3rd gen and dies to any strong physical move. I think I even killed Sabrina's Alakazam with my Pidgeot's Return, and Pidgeot isn't the strongest Pokémon out there, but it's Adamant and Return is a 152 BP move at full happiness (which Pidgeot was since I caught it very early), so I'd be surprised if it didn't do great damage to Alakazam. Besides, the enemies don't have EVs in the games so they're at a disadvantage.

That's not the point. Dark and Steel were created so we wouldn't have to rely on neutral attacks from Pokémon that didn't resist Psychic to beat Sabrina, and FRLG's awful Dex prevented us from taking advantage of that important innovation.

FRLG don't exactly NEED the 2nd gen Pokémon to be a good game. They already have one of the best Pokémon rosters in the series.

That's your opinion, not fact. Personally, I much preferred GSC's roster, and XY has them all beat.

Personally, GS suffers from an even worse problem than FRLG. In those games, there's only ONE of each evolutionary stone, except for the Sun Stone, which you get in the Bug Catching Contest, and the Moon Stone, which you can get infinite of by using Rock Smash on the rock around which the Clefairy dance in Mt. Moon. Moreover, the stones (Fire/Leaf/Thunder/Water) are only available in the postgame. During my first (and only) Gold playthrough, I used a Weepinbell against the E4, because there's NO way to evolve it before the League. This was horrible and prevented me from using several Pokémon which evolve by stone with egg moves that didn't exist in RBY, such as Arcanine's Crunch. Crystal patched this, but the PokéGear is still too random, so it isn't an ideal mechanic.

That was a legit issue with the Gen 2 games, but I don't find it a complete deal killer. The games had more than enough to make up for that.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • If that's your criteria, then I'd look into this hack. It'll have all of those things (plus Fairies and a P/S Split), sans the split Special Stat.

It's a shame it's a Red hack, though. 1st gen doesn't have Dark types and the mixed Special stat still makes certain Pokémon overpowered (those which learn Amnesia, for example).

Did you know that Crobat was one of 60 Gen 2 Pokémon that were originally planned for Gen 1? Or, that its cry even existed in Red/Blue's data? The Pokémon was clearly supposed to be in Gen 1 in the first place, so why couldn't we have it in the remakes?

Because it wasn't in the original games...? Having Crobat would detract from the "pure" 1st gen experience which they wanted to achieve.

Also, Shellos and Gastrodon were intended for RSE and ended up being 4th gen Pokémon. They're not in the Hoenn Dex in ORAS and you can only catch them with the DexNav after you beat Groudon/Kyogre, so very late in the game. It's the same thing as using the PokéGear radio to catch Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon in the HGSS postgame, basically.

Not if your favorite Pokémon is Persian (crithax Slash), Gyarados (Base 100 Special), or Victreebel (crithax Razor Leaf, broken Wrap, Base 100 Special). Charizard isn't the only Pokémon that matters. (And, it still wasn't that good in FRLG, anyways... XY was where it really shone.)

Only Persian, and that's because Slash was the only thing it had going for it. Gyarados has Dragon Dance and Earthquake in FRLG. It's less versatile but arguably more powerful. Victreebel has a shit movepool in FRLG either way, but it compensates for lack of critting Razor Leaf with the ability to learn Giga Drain (a better Grass move than Razor Leaf) and Sludge Bomb via TM.

The old crit system was bad anyway because it gave even more of an advantage to fast Pokémon. They can already move before the opponent, and they also have high crit rate...

I speak of Charizard with experience. It's much better in FRLG than in RBY. I'm not speaking of competitive here. And actually, even in competitive it's better, since Fire was a shit type in RBY (not even resistant to Ice) and Charizard had low Special.

That's not the point. Dark and Steel were created so we wouldn't have to rely on neutral attacks from Pokémon that didn't resist Psychic to beat Sabrina, and FRLG's awful Dex prevented us from taking advantage of that important innovation.

I certainly didn't feel Kanto Dex was awful when I played Blue version even, let alone FRLG where most of the Pokémon are much improved, with the odd exception like Articuno (which really isn't that much worse than in RBY for ingame duty).

You're overestimating Sabrina... She's only really hard in Yellow, and only because her Alakazam is grossly overleveled.

If you were to add Dark types to FRLG, you could add the Johto ones, because the Hoenn ones are native to Hoenn and wouldn't fit. But seriously, it wouldn't be a 1st gen game anymore. People play remakes because of nostalgia, too, and having things like Houndoom and Sneasel in the Kanto Dex would be a definite nostalgia killer. Tyranitar would be impractical as it evolves too late. Umbreon is really the only one that would make sense, but having a Dark type isn't a requirement to beat Sabrina at all.

I can already guess you'd suggest Sabrina to have an Espeon instead of Venomoth. I'd say she can have a Hypno, too. Or an Exeggutor. Clair has a Gyarados in HGSS instead of Dragonair but that arguably made her easier since her Gyarados has a shitty moveset and Gyarados dies easily to Electric moves.

As much as you keep praising HGSS and ORAS over FRLG, you're forgetting that the only "new" Pokémon in the Johto and Hoenn Dexes in those games are the (pre)evolutions of Pokémon that were already in the Dexes. Even then, in ORAS only Roserade is viable, because there's a Shiny Stone in the overworld. Dawn Stones (required for Gallade and Froslass) are only obtainable either via Super Training or the very unreliable Inverse Battle Stop; the Reaper Cloth (required for Dusknoir) is only obtainable in the postgame; and the Protector (required for Rhyperior) is only available in the postgame, too. In HGSS, only three of the new evolutions can be used (Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Yanmega), and it's very unlikely that you will use Yanmega unless you're lucky to have a Yanma swarm.

It's clear to me that they approached FRLG with a very different mindset from HGSS. FRLG is a more minimalistic remake. It may not have been much nostalgic for Western players, as Yellow was released in the West in 1999, but the Japanese got it eight years after the original Red and Green, so it was definitely nostalgic to them.

FRLG would be better with Crobat, Espeon and Umbreon, but they're not a big loss. There's plenty of good Flying types to choose from, and even Golbat is usable (Golbat is basically the same as Pidgeot). Espeon is inferior to Alakazam and some other Psychic types. The only one that stands out is Umbreon, and only because it would be the only Dark type.

That's your opinion, not fact. Personally, I much preferred GSC's roster, and XY has them all beat.

It's not opinion. The Kanto Dex has great type distribution. It's one of the better thought out Dexes when it comes to type distribution. It does have only one Ghost line and only one Dragon line, but GSC was mostly the same, Gastly was all that was available early on and you could only catch Misdreavus at the very end of the game.

GSC's Dex has all the 251 Pokémon except for the 1st gen legendaries but some of them are only catchable in Kanto. In principle, all the 251 are supposed to be available, but there's the odd one that's only available in the postgame, and even those only available in the postgame of the postgame (Mt. Silver). :P Umbreon is the only Dark type available before the League, for example, and it's unlikely you'll have one to fight Morty.

That was a legit issue with the Gen 2 games, but I don't find it a complete deal killer. The games had more than enough to make up for that.

When you're breeding for Stadium 2 cups you'll find it VERY annoying, trust me. 2nd gen was when GF started making evolutionary items scarce in the games. In RBY you could simply buy the stones in Celadon, very convenient.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It's a shame it's a Red hack, though. 1st gen doesn't have Dark types and the mixed Special stat still makes certain Pokémon overpowered (those which learn Amnesia, for example).

The hack does have Dark and Steel added (along with several new moves of those types). The split Special stat's the only thing that it's missing.

Because it wasn't in the original games...? Having Crobat would detract from the "pure" 1st gen experience which they wanted to achieve.

If that's the case, they shouldn't have let you play as a girl, either. And, you should've been stuck with a Bag that could only hold 20 items at a time.

Also, Shellos and Gastrodon were intended for RSE and ended up being 4th gen Pokémon. They're not in the Hoenn Dex in ORAS and you can only catch them with the DexNav after you beat Groudon/Kyogre, so very late in the game.

Which is a mistake those games made, IMO. Luckily, the Hoenn Dex isn't nearly as bad as Kanto's. (Only Ice types and to a lesser extent, Ghost types are low in number.)

Gyarados has Dragon Dance and Earthquake in FRLG. It's less versatile but arguably more powerful.

Oh, wow... Look at that powerful STAB.[/sarcasm]

Gyarados was near-useless between Gens 1 and 4. It needs either a Base 100 Special or a P/S Split to function. Thank goodness the latter happened.

Victreebel has a **** movepool in FRLG either way, but it compensates for lack of critting Razor Leaf with the ability to learn Giga Drain (a better Grass move than Razor Leaf) and Sludge Bomb via TM.

Remember that Giga Drain still had 60 BP/5 PP in FRLG, so an upgrade, it was not. Sludge Bomb isn't all that impressive, either. And, with that awful Base 60 Sp. Defense, you're better off just using either Venusaur or Vileplume (who also get Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb).

I speak of Charizard with experience. It's much better in FRLG than in RBY. I'm not speaking of competitive here. And actually, even in competitive it's better, since Fire was a **** type in RBY (not even resistant to Ice) and Charizard had low Special.

And, in regards to both in-game and competitive, XY has both beat, as Charizard has a P/S Split, larger movepool, and two powerful Megas to work with. You also get it in addition to a Kalos starter instead of on its own with its frail defenses to worry about.

I certainly didn't feel Kanto Dex was awful when I played Blue version.

That's because nothing better existed at the time of Gen 1. We hadn't played any games with Dexes of 200 or higher yet.

People play remakes because of nostalgia, too, and having things like Houndoom and Sneasel in the Kanto Dex would be a definite nostalgia killer. Tyranitar would be impractical as it evolves too late. Umbreon is really the only one that would make sense

Having Sneasel and Houndoom wouldn't have killed my nostalgia at all. In fact, I've always wanted to go through Kanto with either Pokémon (especially the latter, as the former sucked before Gen 4) and tear through all of the Psychics that gave me problems in RBY.

having a Dark type isn't a requirement to beat Sabrina at all

Then, why did they create the type in the first place if Psychics are soooo easy to beat without anything resisting them and nothing SE against them?

It's clear to me that they approached FRLG with a very different mindset from HGSS. FRLG is a more minimalistic remake. It may not have been much nostalgic for Western players, as Yellow was released in the West in 1999, but the Japanese got it eight years after the original Red and Green, so it was definitely nostalgic to them.

FRLG definitely weren't made for veterans in the West, that much I can definitely tell you. That's a huge reason why I want to see a new remake, one that was made with the same level of care and quality as HGSS and ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I love the look of the older games, but I can no longer play rby or even gsc because of how outdated they are now. At the time though I really enjoyed them and I've come to really enjoy their remakes so the love is still there. There's just so much more in the games now that I can't go back without feeling kinda meh about it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • On the merit of the thread, there's not much reason to play RBY when FRLG exists, I think. FRLG is way closer to the "modern" Pokémon experience than RBY. The only thing that's missing in FRLG is the P/S split and the Fairy type.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    At this point, I think hacks are the best way to go. What GF couldn't get right in RBY and (especially) FRLG, fans are fixing, and they're doing a great job of it.

Right now, I'm following a pretty awesome Red hack that's adding a ton of modern features (like Dark/Steel/Fairy, new moves, new Pokémon, a P/S Split, and so on) to the game and is doing a really great job of bringing Gen 1 up to par (all while being based on old school Red, mind you).

I'm still waiting for that modern 3DS remake, mind you, but until then, I've got some great hacks. They're pretty much the only thing keeping Gen 1 alive now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Im not the typical pokemon fan. I enjoy hacks, but I appreciate the originals better. It depends on the hack but if they add new poke.on, thats where I dont get involved.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Im not the typical pokemon fan. I enjoy hacks, but I appreciate the originals better. It depends on the hack but if they add new poke.on, thats where I dont get involved.

Yeah, I think I already figured that out, myself. Don't worry, I disagree with the fandom on a lot of things, too. (If not the same things you disagree on.)

It's a shame that you're so much against any kinds of changes to the games, though, because you're missing out on a lot of great hacks. At least, you're honest about your preferences, though. *Shrug*

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Yeah, I think I already figured that out, myself. Don't worry, I disagree with the fandom on a lot of things, too. (If not the same things you disagree on.)

It's a shame that you're so much against any kinds of changes to the games, though, because you're missing out on a lot of great hacks. At least, you're honest about your preferences, though. *Shrug*

Im definitely against changes...but im definitely for additions...so long as it doesnt disrupt the original positive experience that the original game had.

HGSS despite the additions, didnt make significant changes to the main plot.

Keep in mind, each Pokemon game has its own charm...and I try best to see each charm. Pokemon Red/Blue? Was the standard gameplay which definitely needed improvement. However, I dont want a remake to have additions that are not needed to enjoy it.

ORAS isnt a remake....but worst, it didnt need to go to the extent it did...the only reason why it went so far was because they tied too hard to incorporate the mega evolution into the story.

Unlike HeartGold/SoulSilver had more additions, less changes. And of course theres going to be changes, however the ch@nge has to be minimal.

An example of what I believe Gen 1 3D remake could be expanding Mew/Mewtwo and Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres story. Fix the glitches, add a new secret unmarked route. add minigames and events. Overall, still keep the same gen 1 pokemon with the exception if also adding in their pre evolutions and evolutions introduced in other gens. But overall.....still keep the original feel with updated graphics.

Trust me when I say ppl want to play the original with only updated graphics. So far that the glitches wiuld be considered canon and even use MissingNo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Im definitely against changes...but im definitely for additions...so long as it doesnt disrupt the original positive experience that the original game had.
    Keep in mind, each Pokemon game has its own charm...and I try best to see each charm. Pokemon Red/Blue? Was the standard gameplay which definitely needed improvement. However, I dont want a remake to have additions that are not needed to enjoy it.

This, I think, is where we differ, especially in regards to RBY. As endearing and nostalgic as the original games are, they've always felt "incomplete" to me, as if they were an Obvious Beta for GSC. The games were full of glitches, a lot of things didn't work properly (think Focus Energy or Ghost's matchups with Psychic), and the type balance was completely off.

This is a big reason why I love that Red hack I linked to. It's actually striving to make RBY feel less like a GSC beta and more like a complete experience, something that FRLG failed to do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    This, I think, is where we differ, especially in regards to RBY. As endearing and nostalgic as the original games are, they've always felt "incomplete" to me, as if they were an Obvious Beta for GSC. The games were full of glitches, a lot of things didn't work properly (think Focus Energy or Ghost's matchups with Psychic), and the type balance was completely off.

This is a big reason why I love that Red hack I linked to. It's actually striving to make RBY feel less like a GSC beta and more like a complete experience, something that FRLG failed to do.
    I feel that you read what i imagine out of a remake from one extreme to the other. For you there's nothing in-between. so whenever we talk about it, you fully support remake a game that changes the vast majority of the game, and calling it a remake. Then dismiss my vision by going entirely the opposite way. when its not...

When you talked about justifying the massive changes that ORAS had, you also saying Red/Blue having the vast amount of changes can be justified. Which is something i don't want to see....i don't want to see mega evolutions incorporated into the main storyline, or new tiems we already saw in current gen that makes the game much easier.

To me, I still believe Red/Blue had a lot going on despite feeling complete. whatever is missing, to me feels like 20% or maybe 30% at most. things i felt were missing:

special attack and special defense (obviously), Pokemon able to hold items, and many other things introduced in Gen 2....however.....that's where i limit it mechanics wise. i don't think Gen 1 needs mega evolutions. and all that.

Keep in ind half of the nostalgia is the story and aesthetics, the other half is gameplay. I'm up for fixing all the issues it had, ut i don't think the gameplay needs a completely new experience that the current gens are providing.

story-wise expanding mew/mewtwo story. also adding in a plot for moltres, zapdos, and articuno. and expanding Team Rocket's plot is also good for me. it's not completely changing the original Red/Blue experience...only enhancing it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I feel that you read what i imagine out of a remake from one extreme to the other. For you there's nothing in-between. so whenever we talk about it, you fully support remake a game that changes the vast majority of the game, and calling it a remake. Then dismiss my vision by going entirely the opposite way. when its not...

When you talked about justifying the massive changes that ORAS had, you also saying Red/Blue having the vast amount of changes can be justified. Which is something i don't want to see....i don't want to see mega evolutions incorporated into the main storyline, or new tiems we already saw in current gen that makes the game much easier.

To me, I still believe Red/Blue had a lot going on despite feeling complete. whatever is missing, to me feels like 20% or maybe 30% at most. things i felt were missing:

special attack and special defense (obviously), Pokemon able to hold items, and many other things introduced in Gen 2....however.....that's where i limit it mechanics wise. i don't think Gen 1 needs mega evolutions. and all that.

Keep in ind half of the nostalgia is the story and aesthetics, the other half is gameplay. I'm up for fixing all the issues it had, ut i don't think the gameplay needs a completely new experience that the current gens are providing.

story-wise expanding mew/mewtwo story. also adding in a plot for moltres, zapdos, and articuno. and expanding Team Rocket's plot is also good for me. it's not completely changing the original Red/Blue experience...only enhancing it.

What it sounds like you want is RBY remade on a GSC base, to be honest. There, you wouldn't get anything more than the mechanics GSC added, and the graphics would only be slightly better than what the originals had (so, it would still look and feel like old school RBY). The minor story expansions you want could also easily be done with a GSC base.

And, that's something that's going to have to happen via a ROM hack, for obvious reasons. I, myself, wouldn't actually mind playing such a game, provided it still had Day/Night and later evolutions.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I never played Gen I but sometimes I regret not doing so...sure I was like 4 when they came out in the US but still...
    Btw I don't think either FRLG or ORAS were the ideal balance for a remake...HGSS was (also note that the gen ii and iii remakes both left stuff out from DPP and XY like the Gen i remakes did with RS so judging FRLG for that would also mean judging the rest.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    What it sounds like you want is RBY remade on a GSC base, to be honest. There, you wouldn't get anything more than the mechanics GSC added, and the graphics would only be slightly better than what the originals had (so, it would still look and feel like old school RBY). The minor story expansions you want could also easily be done with a GSC base.

And, that's something that's going to have to happen via a ROM hack, for obvious reasons. I, myself, wouldn't actually mind playing such a game, provided it still had Day/Night and later evolutions.
    once again when you compromise, you compromise a little further down to a rom hack. i'm not talking about a 2D, gen 2 look-a-like...i'm talkign about an official 3D remake of what Red/Blue "should" be.

story-wise isn't about the GSC base. but regardless, thats what i would like GameFreak to do for an official Red/Blue 3D remake.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    once again when you compromise, you compromise a little further down to a rom hack. i'm not talking about a 2D, gen 2 look-a-like...i'm talkign about an official 3D remake of what Red/Blue "should" be.

I'm being realistic. Game Freak isn't going to cut important modern gameplay features (which includes Mega Evolution, like it or not) just for the sake of being "faithful." You may be all over such a game, but most people won't.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I'm being realistic. Game Freak isn't going to cut important modern gameplay features (which includes Mega Evolution, like it or not) just for the sake of being "faithful." You may be all over such a game, but most people won't.

That's not true....i know plenty of people who would like to play such a game. In fact, i bet you would if it was considered a hack. But if Gamefreak would ever make it, suddenly the expectation is to have all modern gameplay aspects?

And i don't even consider it an aspect of "dated gameplay" and "modern gameplay". Gen 1 (once adds the fixes of Gen 2) doesn't really need any more than what it already has (when it comes to the battle system). And majority of Pokemon games have ran that way since. only because Generation 6 wants to change it up with Mega evolutions, does that mean the previous Gens are so outdated that they can't be used again?

I truly believe 100% if Gamefreak made a faithful Blue/Red remake in 3D with the fixes equal to Gold/Silver and the expansion equivalent to Crystal's ...people would enjoy it.

Because honestly....its shallow if you absolutely have to have the next game developed by gamefreak to have all the new mechanics introduced in the current Gen...Especially if the fandom does is make ROM hacks that explore other unique aspects, not concentrating on new mechanics.

Are you telling me, that you will enjoy it as a rom Hack but not as an official Gamefreak game? It bothers me extensively, how one-sided you can be about it. You should know being faithful is the #1 thing a remake is about. Its the major aspect that remakes get judged by. If you don't care about that, then you don't care about remakes. and you shouldn't feel so strongly about it. Because you're not debating over a remake, your debating over the next big thing gamefreak has to offer. Me? i'm strictly on the remake, and nothing more. Remakes have always been companion games....

For all i care, all remakes can be companion games to the current gen.....i don't care, and i think that i'm not off-base at all....if i want to play a pokemon game thats about mega evolutions or all the current features of the latest game, i'll play that game. if i want to play a game that is remade from the original with some significant but welcoming additions and stay true to the original, i'd play that one too.

I'm not going to play a game labeled as a remake, and makes so many changes, its not even able to be considered a remake. and for the record, despite how many additions HGSS did, the story remained 80% the same. The gameplay remained the mostly the same except for team battles. that was additional, but it doesn't change the overall experience.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    You don't get it. Game Freak is not going to go back and release a brand new game done to the gameplay standards of 15 years ago. Otherwise, they'd just port the originals to the Virtual Console and be done with it.

Modern Pokémon means modern mechanics, which includes Megas, Super Training, Amie, Exp. Share, and all that other stuff. It is not a GB/C game with 3DS graphics slapped over it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    You don't get it. Game Freak is not going to go back and release a brand new game done to the gameplay standards of 15 years ago. Otherwise, they'd just port the originals to the Virtual Console and be done with it.
    You don't know that. I've seen many developers remake older games with better graphics...and still keep the original experience. Their doing it now. ORAS is the only one that wasn't a faithful remake.....the only one....the rest were plenty faithful

Also, the word "standards" doesn't apply....their not modern "standards" their just the latest features. just because they added mega evolution doesn't automatically make it the standard of today's Pokemon gaming.

Modern Pokémon means modern mechanics, which includes Megas, Super Training, Amie, Exp. Share, and all that other stuff. It is not a GB/C game with 3DS graphics slapped over it.
    sorry to say, but not all Pokemon need to have everything the latest Pokemon game introduced, especially if its a remake. and if you can't understand that, you don't get remakes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    You don't know that. I've seen many developers remake older games with better graphics...and still keep the original experience. Their doing it now. ORAS is the only one that wasn't a faithful remake.....the only one....the rest were plenty faithful

Again, you're comparing Pokémon to other games, which just doesn't work.

Also, the word "standards" doesn't apply....their not modern "standards" their just the latest features. just because they added mega evolution doesn't automatically make it the standard of today's Pokemon gaming.

But... That's exactly what it is. Megas are a Gen 6 innovation in the same way as held items are a Gen 2 innovation and the P/S Split is a Gen 4 innovation. Just like GF won't make a new game that reverts back to the old type-based Physical/Special system, they're not going that make a new game that doesn't have Megas.

sorry to say, but not all Pokemon need to have everything the latest Pokemon game introduced, especially if its a remake. and if you can't understand that, you don't get remakes.

Um, the games are supposed to be going forwards, not backwards, even in regards to remakes. What you're advocating is the opposite.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Again, you're comparing Pokémon to other games, which just doesn't work.
    it works perfectly fine....the problem is the fans, who just refuse to see it that way.

But... That's exactly what it is. Megas are a Gen 6 innovation in the same way as held items are a Gen 2 innovation and the P/S Split is a Gen 4 innovation. Just like GF won't make a new game that reverts back to the old type-based Physical/Special system, they're not going that make a new game that doesn't have Megas.
    I'm talking about story-wise. Red/Blue remake would need to be mega-evolution capable. BUT that doesn't mean it needs to be incorporated into the main gameplay. GF shot themselves on the foor with ORAS, and that's it. but if they chose to keep the same trend remake such as HGSS, things would've been fine.
    Mega Evolution is innovative, which is the perfect reason to keep it in future games, just not in remakes. it disrupts the timeline. and idk about you but i don't want to see a billion time splits for the sake of consistency and still making alterations.

Um, the games are supposed to be going forwards, not backwards, even in regards to remakes. What you're advocating is the opposite.
    What i'm advocating is the standard in remakes. period.

The only time it applies is if their suppose to be the next big thing in the series. And remakes generally aren't that. their a service to old fans and new fans to experience or re-experience something with new updated graphics of modern times and give things in a new perspective (not a new experience). some mechanics changes to fix the bad stuff of the old. Additions are also there. but not "changes". Mega evolution is a major change....

Last edited:
    Back