• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile I think I know what I want for Christmas this year.

Years
    To be honest, I wanted Pokken Tournament XD from the Switch's getto. Never got around to buy it.

Any tips for beginners before I buy the game and compete competitively using NSO (I have enough to buy two "3-month subscriptions" so it'll be 6 months of NSO for me).

Also, I plan to main Scizor. But any tips?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can't say I'm the best person to give advice on this, but a few things I'll say:

-Try out all the fighters/Pokemon and see which clicks best with you. Playing a character that suits you the most helps a lot.
    -Take time to look up information on stuff. There's a lot to learn in fighting games and knowledge is a necessity to success.
    -Don't be discouraged by early failures and mistakes, as the road to becoming good at fighting games (especially if you want to compete against other people) is a long and arduous one. At the same time, understand that the path is not for everyone and there's no shame in accepting your limits.

Years
    I can't say I'm the best person to give advice on this, but a few things I'll say:

-Try out all the fighters/Pokemon and see which clicks best with you. Playing a character that suits you the most helps a lot.
    -Take time to look up information on stuff. There's a lot to learn in fighting games and knowledge is a necessity to success.
    -Don't be discouraged by early failures and mistakes, as the road to becoming good at fighting games (especially if you want to compete against other people) is a long and arduous one. At the same time, understand that the path is not for everyone and there's no shame in accepting your limits.

Actually, this is really good advice.

But in other news, guess who got the game today? HAHA! I won't turn on the NSO until I get back from vacation though (December 4th). I'll just try different fighters in the Ferrum league for now. :)

If anyone else has experience in this game, feel free to post.

Years
    Actually, this is really good advice.

But in other news, guess who got the game today? HAHA! I won't turn on the NSO until I get back from vacation though (December 4th). I'll just try different fighters in the Ferrum league for now. :)

If anyone else has experience in this game, feel free to post.

Nah's generally covered the gist, as a fighting game player myself I'd probably add:

Training modes and the such are your best friend. Once you've decided on a character/playstyle you want to hone, sit in the training room and just... practice. Practice everything. Take your special moves and use them against each character, seeing if they can punish it on block and if so, what with. Do the same the other way around - have dummies use moves on you and see what you can punish it with.

Learn your combos/mixups! There is a term - bread and butter - for combos that should be your go-to every time, so take the time to really learn them inside out so it becomes muscle memory. Following that, experiment with your punishes. Once you've learned that XYZ attack can be punished on block, see if instead of just one move/normal, you can do a combo to punish it. Maximise the damage and then comes the fun bit...

...learning Oki/Yomi! That is, mixups! Once you've got an idea of your frame data and such (so knowing what attacks either are, or look, safe on block and such) you can start experimenting with scenarios to try and keep your opponent on their toes. A typical example would be that a lot of people will for example always throw after the end of a certain blocked string, so it conditions the opponent into then pressing throw in anticipation and perhaps not blocking. Mixup in this case means that once in a while, you'll instead attack, causing them to whiff and then punishing them appropriately. All about getting into the opponent's head and capitalising on that!

I hope you enjoy Pokken, it's not my first choice when it comes to these games but I know it has some very fun characters and mechanics so I think you'll have fun!

Back