• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ideas and wishes for the postgame

Years
    I would like some more areas to explore, like Swo/Shi DLC. I wouldn't like a content talking about the third legendary of the trio, because I would prefer to see them integrated in the main story, kinda like Swo/Shi.

Years
    • Seen today
    Minimal. My interest in Pokémon games usually starts fading out quick after the champion so I'd prefer they keep it short and sweet, I find it more fun to just start another playthrough in a different game and raise a new team.

Good and lengthy post-game would be appreciated, but not if it comes at the expense of making the main game lacking. Improving the quality of the main game experience is what matters to me and where I wish all the effort was put into. If I can't find that I don't care what amazing stuff the post-game or DLC have because I won't be there long enough to enjoy it anyway. I didn't get the SwSh DLC for this reason.

Post-game is like a dead end for me. If I find it boring and unispired like some dull legendary hunting with no plot I just skip it, if I find it more enjoyable and exciting than the main game then I'd consider it a design flaw because a good game won't force you to wait past the credits roll to actually start enjoying the better stuff.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    1. Closure for characters. Pushes character interaction with newer generations. Finish what you started.

2. A replayable mode. Wants to evaluate Pokemon in a new light. Could be some kind of wild battle style.

One quick idea: presents 3 Pokemon out of 50 possible Pokemon. Choose one. Takes that through a series of challenges, much like Dynamax Adventures. Levels and evolves between battles. Ends by defeating someone/something powerful (not necessarily a legendary). May choose to keep one Pokemon at the end. Awards some kind of currency too.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Post game honestly like I don't mind. Once I reach the two hard point I'm done and once I reach the two easy part I lose interest. Needs to be a compelling story like maybe in ORAS with Zinnia - that was cool and made it not feel like post game but that the story didn't end at the Elite Four.

Or... travel to Kalos. Legitimately if we travelled to an updated Kalos in post game I would be 10000% for this. It's not happening ofc but anything like Zinnia's arc I would be ok with :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I always loved easter eggs and side characters that are interesting even though they are not part of the main plot. Ghost Girl was a fave of mine.

I would actually like research quests as we got in legends arceus, but on pokemon not obtained in game...I would want research into clues or pokemon for next gen... they have always done previews into next get through some sort of outlet..like the anime, event release pokemon with movies..etc. what if Scarlet/Violet started giving clues to a pokemon from next gen...pokemon go had different clues... unite had different clues..and then the anime revealed the pokemon right before another game came out with it. With the many different games being released every year, we will see another pokemon game that is not gen related that could include the new pokemon. That would be fun for a post game quest idea..research for clues for new pokemon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I would like more unique battle facilities that isn't just Battle Tower. I loved the Battle Subway from Unova and I also really liked White Tree and Black Tower in BW2 where you have to battle so trainers, but not every trainer and when you get to the end, you get a shiny pokemon, it also wasn't overly complicated or based on luck. You could bring higher level pokemon in and battle your way through. It was still challenging, but not the annoying stuff that comes with Battle Arena.

I also really loved the Battle Chateau and was a great way to train pokemon. You also got to rechallenge everyone with bigger teams.

I would like more unique battle facilities that isn't just Battle Tower. I loved the Battle Subway from Unova and I also really liked White Tree and Black Tower in BW2 where you have to battle so trainers, but not every trainer and when you get to the end, you get a shiny pokemon, it also wasn't overly complicated or based on luck. You could bring higher level pokemon in and battle your way through. It was still challenging, but not the annoying stuff that comes with Battle Arena.

I also really loved the Battle Chateau and was a great way to train pokemon. You also got to rechallenge everyone with bigger teams.

I mostly agree with this too. ❤️ I liked unique battle facilities like the Battle Subway, they tend to introduce some really interesting characters. Hopefully we can see something like that again.

In an ideal world we would also be able to travel to Kalos but I am absolutely not expecting that.

Whiteeyes1989

Normal/Dark -type
    Years
    Something besides a battle tower. Anything. BTs are just so lazy, so grindy, and so not fun. I want to try a bunch of different neat things if it's battle based like the Frontier, or neat story bits like the Looker Missions or Episode Delta or what have you. I just want a post game. I don't even count SwSh because...do you really count Swordbert and Shieldward? And no I don't count the DLC that's separate from Post-Game. Heck, you can go to Isle of Armor early and the pokemon and trainers are scaled to you so that one is canonically not required to be post game.

Years
    I'd prefer something more akin to the Delta Episode, but better. Most of the Delta Episode was just revisiting places you'd already been.
    Just like, lock some areas behind post-game (or just completely new areas) so I have something to do after beating the game, preferably with some story involved. Though when it comes to story I ain't getting my hopes up anyway =p
    A post-game region like in gen 2 where you could go back to Kanto after finishing Johto would be dope, but I'm not expecting it so I'm not gonna bother picking a region for it either xD
    Maybe some sort of relatively big dimension that isn't accessible till post-game?

I'd also love to see contests return like how they were in Hoenn. Though that's not exactly something for postgame per se =p

Battle Towers are kinda bland, I don't really use them that much.
    The other Battle facilities have always just felt like more Battle Towers and idc about them at all, one Battle Tower is more than enough.
    I wouldn't mind if they scrapped this stuff completely.

Years
    • They/them
    • Seen Sep 9, 2022
    I don't think postgame is actually all that important to keep people playing for longer if what you have in the main story itself is of sufficient quality and quantity to satisfy. People often seem to place so much emphasis on what comes after the game that they neglect what is actually IN the game to be played and experienced. With Pokemon I can't say I blame them when the story is often so frustratingly threadbare and it's always the same core gameplay loop of beating gym, travel route, beat next gym, repeat until league, beat league, but wouldn't it be so much better if they spiced it up with things they could and probably would have saved for the postgame in the past? What if things like character side stories - think Buck and Marley from Platinum, and the whole Heatran sub-plot - were part of the main game, rather than postgame content, and added depth to the main narrative?

Personally I'd rather have a solid 30 hour experience (realistically speaking it probably won't last longer than that for the average player, and that might be too high an estimate really) with moments I'm going to remember and enjoy, rather than one where the main story is just something I have to wade through to get to things I actually want to do. There's no real reason for these things to be disconnected from the main narrative either, not even optional side events: they introduced the PWT in B2W2 pretty early on, as an example of something that isn't story related. Characters regularly appear throughout the game, and there's no reason their stories can't be integral to the plot and their character arcs resolved as a part of that plot so that their appearances have more meaning to them.

The whole idea that all the content people actually want to engage with needs to be relegated to the postgame is why Pokemon is often so unsatisfying to play through until that postgame, at least in my opinion. Given that some of my favourite RPGs don't really have postgame content and manage to stand as fantastic experiences in and of themselves without it speaks volumes to me about the quality of Pokemon games. I mean, there's nothing wrong with having postgame, and it is always nice to have something extra to do, but it's not essential if the core game itself is done right and done well, and that is personally what I would hope for before I start thinking about what lies beyond...and looking at Pokemon postgame historically, I see no reason why these elements couldn't and shouldn't be weaved into the narrative for a better experience when practically every other RPG under the sun would do this.

Back