• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] I'm completely new at this.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I've been wanting to make a Pokemon game (only not call it Pokemon)

I especially have always wanted to use Pokemon Crystal's engine. Again, I am completely new and I no absolutely nothing.

What are the things I need to know? I really really really want to make a game using crystal's engine.

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2016
    Personally, I would recommend hacking gen 3 games (fire red, emerald) if you don't know anything because the community has way more tutorials and guides on gen 3 stuff than gen 2.

If you want to hack gen 2, you have to know hex editing and what bits, bytes and what hexadecimal means. Look for some tutorials on Google. Good luck

I know you can do it.

Years
  • Bits, hexadecimal, and bytes are pretty simple to understand actually, so that's not the problem with Gen 2 hacking. And you'll DEFINITELY need to know about those for Gen 3 hacking as well anyway, so if you're having trouble with that there's not much you can do with ROM hacking. The main problem with Gen 2 is the lack of tutorials, and that's more or less it. Crystal has a complete disassembly, so if you can understand ASM and make tables/script for Gen 2, you're almost more set than Gen 3 hackers. That being said, there's only one tutorial on this place afaik on Gen 2 scripting, and there's not many people who would be able to help you.

Back