• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In the age of typing...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
By the time I reached 6th grade, computers were starting to become dominant in school.

I think my handwriting is okay, but it never reached what it would have if I were doing all my work by hand.

There was a point in school when I no longer needed to bring a pencil.

Yet I find my handwriting remains fine. Which I'm happy about.

Days
My writing was never good, as every teacher told me to improve my cursive writing. But I never liked cursive style, as it was painful and I was needed to move fingers roundy-roundy to get curvy-curvy outputs.

Hence I leaved that style from class 7th, and chose my standard non-cursive print style fonts, and I am pretty much comfortable there.

I believe that writing is necessary to that much extent where we can convey via writing. And all the decorative stuffs are not useful, unless we want to decorate.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I love writing by hand <3 I learned how to use a physical planner as an adult because I found out I really could not "see" or keep track of digital calendars. My handwriting in those is uniform and deliberate because if it is not I will have no grasp of time or task management. I don't fuss too much when I get a little messy, though, because I have to constantly exercise my ability to refute perfectionism. If it's readable, it's workable. And sometimes it's good for me to switch up my writing style- I did a month in cursive because I realized I wasn't actually taking in the words on my planner anymore so I had to make myself work harder to do so. I also switch pen colors every month to keep me focused.

uhhh all that to say- I hand write a lot, every day! Like, yeah, I constantly type thousands of words of fiction and notes and chats, but I think handwriting is a very important skill to have and a good exercise for both brain and body. Especially when you consider that spelling also tends to go downhill with easy access to spellcheck! I also still do a lot of math by hand because it's more fun that way. It's just a little puzzle. :)

Days
  • Age 16
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I guess.. Well not really if you're a science student. Here we have to do a lot of practice with hands, you know math and stuffs and there we've got programming, so I am having fun doing both. The thing is it's your hands which are either typing or writing, flexibility is fun though. But probably nowadays most people are just typing...

Years
My handwriting is the same as it's always been tbh. I can write cleanly if I take my time, but like... more often than not I'll write in a hurry and it becomes a hard to read mess for anyone unfamiliar with my handwriting =P

Days
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I have such terrible handwriting that sometimes I didn't even understand what I wrote myself. Although if I tried hard, I could make it out, but if I wrote quickly, it's just the eyes bleeding. I really don't understand why people bother to write anymore unless it's for a signature on a document. There are even generators now for regular texts, and then there are others that conduct AI text humanization after the initial generation. I've used https://edubirdie.com/humanize-ai-text a few times, and it looks great. I also saw on some forum a guy came up with a machine that mimics handwriting for note-taking. So, let the robots handle this stuff. Besides, I always have at least a cell phone at hand.

Last edited:
Years
I'm young enough where I've been around computers essentially my entire life, and it definitely shows in my handwriting. I can't write in cursive at all and my print handwriting is passable at best; my hand also gets sore really quickly.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
My handwriting has never been great overall. I've had a few folks tell me I've got good handwriting but I feel that was never the case. Plus I think like most I type faster then I write.

Years
my handwriting has always been shit tbh

and as a leftie when i'm not writing on lined paper it always seems to curve upward

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
My handwriting was always pretty terrible. I had to go to occupational therapy as a kid, and to be honest, my handwriting was only legible to an extent. So, it hasn't really gotten worse, it's just always been pretty bad. It's readable, though, that's all that matters.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
I don't think my handwriting has gotten any worse. Even if I have to write things down quickly (taking notes in lecture when the professor is talking too fast, for example) my handwriting is still mostly legible. Worst thing that might happen is some letters might overlap or something. I am awful at typing. I would rather write even if/when my sweaty hands soak through the paper)

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Honestly, no. If anything, my cursive's gotten a lot better since the pandemic, which absolutely helped once I started work as a teacher this year.

Years
I actually noticed this earlier. I write so much less than before so it feels like I'm just putting in a tad bit more focus to get my handwriting right nowadays, at least for the first few words like Devalue said. I can still write as well in cursive as I used to oddly enough, but writing normally feels a tad bit odd at the start?

Back