• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Installing a new MicroSD to New 3DS

Emolga91

A wild Emolga appeared!
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 18, 2015
    I know I am going to sound a little stupid for saying this. I completely forgot that the New 3DS only has 4GB installed in a Micro SD underneath so tomorrow i am picking up a 32GB MicroSDHC for it. I have gone through the Management side and copied the all of the folders onto my computer.

when I put the new one in can I then let it boot up through the normal welcome to your 3ds settings and then when the management option is available open that up delete the folder and copy and paste the new one in? Or do I copy it and tell it to replace things? Or do I do none of this and put it into an adapter and put the folder on the card prior to booting it up with the new Micro SD.

Sorry for sounding so noobish but with the Vita it was very easy to do.

Thanks for your help

Years
  • A couple of questions, since I myself am a little confused by what what you mean above.

Do you already have data on the new 3DS that you want to be moved onto the new card? Does the 4GB card (or even the 32GB card) contain any data from another 3DS/2DS system?

You cannot use two SD cards on the same unit, and if you transfer another SD card into a 3DS unit without the intention of transferring data from the old SD card to your new SD card, then you'll have to wipe your data and start anew.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • According to nintendo's support page you can simply copy all the data from the old MicroSD card to your computer and then copy the data from the computer to your new MicroSD card. Then use your 3DS as normal.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I think the most important thing here is that you should not do anything until you start up the new 3DS and go through the set up process.

You have a variety of options here, including using a PC as a transfer medium, and the console will guide you through any option you pick. If you don't do this however and preemptively copy contents and delete stuff on your old card, you may not be able to access these on the new system anymore.

Back