• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Introduced and invasive species

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
  • This is a discussion for introduced/invasive species of animal, plant, etc.

What is your attitude towards introduced and invasive species? How do you feel about them? Do you know of any problematic invasive animals/plants in your area?

I live in Australia, which is infamous for its high number of invasive species. The one that stands out most is the rabbit. We have hundreds of millions of rabbits running around all over the country. I realise that they do a lot of damage to the local environment, but I know a number of people who like them and find them cute (my friend Ashley thinks they're adorable!). Yet a lot of people here hate them.

WDYT?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I've been told there've been a lot of invasive species introduced to the Great Lakes and surrounding areas, mainly aquatic creatures and purple loosestrife, which is like a plant. I'm sure the mussel and barnacle-like things are causing problems, but not really sure what the purple loosestrife is doing to be honest.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Invasive species are indeed a lot of trouble. They are often responsible for destroying other species and replacing native ones, and spreading like wildfire. An example is the european Starling in the United States - this bird has colonized the entire continent with an original stock less than 100 birds, and has reduced populations of other birds like Red Headed Woodpeckers and Eastern Bluebirds due to nesting competition. I'm not sure about the exact issues with the Zebra Mussel in the Great Lakes but they cause tons of issues with local wildlife populations and they try to exterminate them. I almost think its too late though.

Years
  • Unfortunately, it's nearly unavoidable now. Hawaii has been taken over by invasive species. I believe it's somewhere around only 25% of its natural plant and animal species that still remain. Washington State is ravaged by blackberry bushes, they are Everywhere. And the infamous yellowjacket/hornet is EVERYWHERE. Reports of VW bug sized nests in Alabama and other places where there is no winter. As for my home of Olympia, Wa they had to close Capitol lake because of a snail infestation.

The problem is everywhere humans go they bring something with them.. And that something is newly introduced in the environment. The environment has no natural defense to it and it essentially has no barriers to complete domination. IE there use to be snakes in Hawaii, they brought in the mongoose to kill em and now there's no snakes and too many mongoose.

I for one can not stand the damned yellowjackets/hornets. They are nearly unstoppable where there is no frost. Alaska must be in my future. ;)

Last edited:

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • The East African Giant Snail is another example. They were so much of a trouble that East Africans tried everything from quarantines to pesticides to poison and to even flamethrowers. They're still a problem today. So if there's anything I learned from this, it's that you don't burn snails. Snails burn you.

So about invasive species? Damn them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2014
    Cane toads are a major problem in northern Australia. We have tried just about everything to eradicate them, but to no avail. It is truly man's folly for such things to spread out of control, yet it is rather easy to blame the animal itself.

Tek

Years
  • It seems to me that in some cases, perhaps even many or most cases, these invasive species are mostly an inconvenience rather than some clear and present danger. The noisy toads are a good example. While some plant species may threaten crops, it seems that for the most part people just prefer the plants that they're used to. We will certainly miss the bluebirds and woodpeckers if they are gone, but is the starling really so much worse?

I suggest that while the invasion of non-native species is not entirely inconsequential, we may well be making this phenomenon into a much bigger deal than it really is.

I can hear the argument now that changing the equilibrium may have chain reactions and a snowball effect. Which is certainly possible, but even that is not really so much of a problem for nature as it is a problem for mankind's comfort and ease of living.

It is not so bad to wish for comfort and peace, but when trouble and strife comes, we would do well to be more accepting and equanimous. Stressful situations are hard enough to deal with, but the difficulty is multiplied tenfold when our inner dialogue is full of complaint and negativity.

Nature, certainly, is in no danger from these invasive species. Not once, but about half dozen times in this planet's history, the vast majority of living species have died out. Yet here we stand among such incredible diversity... and without having had a human hand to "fix" everything.

I'm not arguing that we take the laissez-faire approach and sit back and do nothing. I just think that we could use some perspective and equanimity.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Nature, certainly, is in no danger from these invasive species. Not once, but about half dozen times in this planet's history, the vast majority of living species have died out. Yet here we stand among such incredible diversity... and without having had a human hand to "fix" everything.

If you think about it, humans are invasive species too. They fit into every category:

• An invasive species is an organism that causes ecological or economic harm in a new environment where it is not native.
    • Invasive species create monotypic stands that replace and/or prevent other species, especially indigenous ones, from growing there.
    • Invasive species threaten biodiversity by causing disease, acting as predators or parasites, acting as competitors, altering habitat, or hybridizing with local species.

Oh, humanity.

Years
  • It seems to me that in some cases, perhaps even many or most cases, these invasive species are mostly an inconvenience rather than some clear and present danger. The noisy toads are a good example. While some plant species may threaten crops, it seems that for the most part people just prefer the plants that they're used to. We will certainly miss the bluebirds and woodpeckers if they are gone, but is the starling really so much worse?

I suggest that while the invasion of non-native species is not entirely inconsequential, we may well be making this phenomenon into a much bigger deal than it really is.

I can hear the argument now that changing the equilibrium may have chain reactions and a snowball effect. Which is certainly possible, but even that is not really so much of a problem for nature as it is a problem for mankind's comfort and ease of living.

It is not so bad to wish for comfort and peace, but when trouble and strife comes, we would do well to be more accepting and equanimous. Stressful situations are hard enough to deal with, but the difficulty is multiplied tenfold when our inner dialogue is full of complaint and negativity.

Nature, certainly, is in no danger from these invasive species. Not once, but about half dozen times in this planet's history, the vast majority of living species have died out. Yet here we stand among such incredible diversity... and without having had a human hand to "fix" everything.

I'm not arguing that we take the laissez-faire approach and sit back and do nothing. I just think that we could use some perspective and equanimity.

No, it really is a big deal. We're talking about native forests completely destroyed. I see what your saying but it's not just about biodiversity. We're killing off species that we don't even know exist. It really has to do with human selfishness. We can only see the world through the eyes of human need/want/cause.

ON HAWAII: https://www.nature.org/media/hawaii/the-last-stand-hawaiian-forest.pdf

Years
  • It's not a huge deal until the ecosystem fails, and, if the proper conditions are met, that can have dire consequences. Should you remove part of the food chain, or alter it by adding/taking away different predators or prey, you can upset the entire balance, and eventually it will works its way back to screw mankind over in some way.

Northern tribes of Inuit/Native Americans are entirely dependant on the seas, specifically seals, salmon, etc. Introduce a new predator to the area, one with an advantage over others and it's bye-bye fishies. Thus, no food staple for the Inuit. That's just a hypothetical example, but it's certainly a possibility if you play around with nature too much.

Back