• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Classic Rock dead to you?

Years
  • No. Some of it, the best, is still alive because it's good enough to transcend.

Most of today's popular crap most probably won't be heard after the next two, three or four decades, not like classic 60's, 70's or even a bit of 80's rock has done 'till today.

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
  • I personally think a music genre can never be dead, because out there, someone is listening to it.

Anyway, no it is most definitely not dead. Some of it even depends on your definition of "classic rock," so keep that in mind too. And yeah, most popular stuff today is crap, so I hope the world can quickly get away from the phase rock is in. Of course, there are still lots of good bands out there today just waiting to be defined as "classic rock," so "classic rock" might not be the only thing keeping us from falling into crap, it might also be the great new bands. So, just keep listening and hoping, like the rest of us.

Aden

Lucario's best buddy
    Years
  • Don't forget about the good old 90s rock, although I think that 'classic' rock, such as ACDC,
    and The Rolling Stones will be around for a couple more decades.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    Classic Rock will always exist, it is living on through many modern bands who are recreating the sound. The Answer are a good example of this. Of course, it will have a modern twist to it, but you can still replicate a specific sound to exaclty how it would have sounded during its peak if you wished, since many influences and methods of approach make the difference between. But when it comes to success...

The music industry has definatley changed, many new avenues and equimpents are being explored. For success in the charts sake, bands will use simplistic and catchy songs compared to the other material off their albums which wouldnt necessarily do well in the charts. But that doesn't mean ALL their music is like this. Many times I have wished for bands to release certain songs because they are great examples of what they can do, yet the less colourful tracks end up getting released after their golden first and second releases die out.

The thing I find is that Classic Rock and modern rock arent a million miles away from each other. Bands are still using the same techniques as the old classics, just in a different modern way and are earning money. And I see nothing wrong with that, since it is a profession after all. And once bands have established themselves, they dont need to prove anything so as a result tone down their rebel like ruthless attitude, so they can sink into their own nicheand just enjoy themselves. I don't see what is so wrong about this. That's why to me the words 'sell out' are pretty bland. So in my opinion it is preference of the sound, artist and sometimes the characters behind the music that a liking/disliking is based on. Oh, that and their appearance. With this comes the consideration whether something is classic or not. Contrary to opinion, of course.

No matter what 'genre' a song may be, if it has a catchy melody and interesting direction, I'll listen to it. There's a lot to be learned from every piece of music out there no matter how much you may or may not like it.

Last edited:

Victoria~

surrender to my s o c k s~
    Years
  • God, no!
    I hate when someone says that some music genre is dead. It'll never die, like, it's immortal @@ Classic rock influenced SO MANY bands, that it's impossible to count. Even though it isn't the most popular genre today, a lot of successful bands have their roots on Beatles, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix...
    In sume, music can't die. Like, even the oldest of the oldest classic music with some extincted instrument can still be alive.
    I mean, the world is so big, we never know what everyone's listening to and all.
    Classic Rock isn't dead.

Shiori-Hikaru

Classy Pumpkin Cutie
    Years
  • No, no, and no.
    Classic Rock is seriously just about all that I listen to.
    It'll never die.
    I'd much rather the crap music from today die before Journey and Aerosmith..

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • You can't keep a good genre down -- Classic rock is, well, classic. What exactly makes it depends on who you ask, but even then, it's still got it's solid players. I'll never be able to retire Queen, The Who, The Eagles, etc. It's just such a great and varied musical genre that it's never going down, IMO.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
  • No. It'll never be dead I don't think. Well, can't say that, but still...least not for a long time. I personally prefer new music mostly, but only the good stuff that's way less popular. Reason being, it's just as good technically as classic rock, and it has so much better production quality. And the better stuff out there today (not the stuff on the radio) tends to have way better lyrics.

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    We all think Classis Rock is not dead. This is a bit of a one sided horse race isnt it? :P

Come on all you who disagree, share your opinions! lol :P

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
  • Classic rock is dead, by definition: it is music that is old enough to be considered classic. Most classic rock bands are not around anymore, or have changed members enough to not really be the same band.

Nobody makes classic rock anymore, because it is music of a certain era.
    Maybe in the future, it will be classic rock but nobody is out there making new classic rock as we speak.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Classic rock is dead, by definition: it is music that is old enough to be considered classic. Most classic rock bands are not around anymore, or have changed members enough to not really be the same band.

Nobody makes classic rock anymore, because it is music of a certain era.
    Maybe in the future, it will be classic rock but nobody is out there making new classic rock as we speak.
    Classic rock may not be made anymore, but that doesn't mean that it's dead. Paul McCartney had a concert in America just a few years ago, sold out without breaking a sweat. By the way, what is your definition of "dead" when it comes to music? Can music be alive in the listeners, or does there need to be new material of a certain genre coming out for it to be alive? If you ask me, classic rock is simply too popular to be dead.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • No. Some of it, the best, is still alive because it's good enough to transcend.

Most of today's popular crap most probably won't be heard after the next two, three or four decades, not like classic 60's, 70's or even a bit of 80's rock has done 'till today.

Yeah pretty much what I was going to say, and generally agreeing with those in this thread. It's still on the radio and a lot of people like it. there were so many good bands way back then...and modern stuff just doesn't compare for me.

Back