• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it me or is Alola a bit small?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
  • Looking at the maps, the region of Alola looks pretty tiny. Like, there aren't as much cities or towns as there usually is and the region looks more full of landmarks than cities and routes...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It could just be the map/artwork we've seen of the region as a whole makes it look small, and it could be bigger in-game. We don't even know for certain if the 4 islands are the only places we can visit in Sun/Moon.

But that is a lot of coulds and ifs and it is just as likely that it could turn out that Alola is indeed a small region.

Years
  • Like Nah said, it might just be the style of the artwork and I'm sure the islands will actually look bigger in-game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As said, I think it is just the Art Work. Looking at the zoomed in pieces, there are 14 Pokemon Centers, which in most cases, is about right.

I think it is just really hard to see the routes, making it look small.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • How many islands were there again?

4 Main Islands. 1 Artificial Islands and probably a few small islands scattered around that we don't see.

This link will take you to a map where you can zoom all the way in to the islands and still have clear view of what is there.

http://www.pokebeach.com/news/0616/alola-region.jpg

We know from the very first trailer that the white building, with the fountain, on the 2nd island, is fairly huge.

Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2016
    Looking at the maps, the region of Alola looks pretty tiny. Like, there aren't as much cities or towns as there usually is and the region looks more full of landmarks than cities and routes...

It could well be we finaly have less than 8 gyms am i right

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I thought so too, and it seemed everything was close together too, but I'm sure in-game it will look much bigger. +there were clouds on the map that could be hiding extra islands. But despite this, it still seems small...

Nath74K

Pokéfan
    Years
  • The map is all zoomed out so we can see the 4 Islands.
    But on the map we can see a lot of different towns and places, I'm sure this will be the biggest region yet. Plus, there could be a lot of underground routes and places.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am also thinking that with it being zoomed out so much, a lot of details are missed.

You can compare the First Island Map and The Zoomed in version of the regional Island One and see a lot of details seem to be missed. Heck 1 or 2 buildings don't even make it too the full region view on the first island. We are also just seeing 1 side of each island.

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • To be honest I had the same impression, but after trying to scale the actual map with the player, I think It's actually a big map. Look at the Hoenn region map artwork. On the artwork it kinda looks small too, in terms of cities and such, but in-game it was actually pretty vast.

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
  • I thought so too until I zoomed in. The region actually looks pretty awesome. I'm especially loving the island on the bottom right. The top left of it has a mysterious walled in city that looks like its straight out of Attack on Titan, the top right has some ancient Japanese tower that reminds me of Conquest (best pokemon spinoff game), there's some cool looking battle arena in a moat, and not to mention the huge icy mountain in the center with a helipad on the top.

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
  • I'm predicting that the Man-Made island in the center will be either the Evil Team hideout or the Elite Four (with the floating house connected to the back as the Champion's stage).

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It all seems more tightly packed than the Kalos map. It seems like there'll be something around every corner.

I also get the impression that most of the places on the islands you'll be able to reach. Whereas in Kalos there were a lot of filler mountains that only existed to be a wall.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    It all seems more tightly packed than the Kalos map. It seems like there'll be something around every corner.

I also get the impression that most of the places on the islands you'll be able to reach. Whereas in Kalos there were a lot of filler mountains that only existed to be a wall.

This is what I'm most excited about, being able to scavenge most of the islands would add immensely to the immersion.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    After the interview with Masuda, I really doubt it's going to be implemented in this game or really any game in the near future. D:

Unfourtunatly. That is part of the reason I am losing interest. That and the difficulty. i truly feel like they are trying to make more money than appeal to the fans at this point :(

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I know. :( I mean, I still have hopes that despite what he mentioned in the interview, that he would still put in something that would be at least as challenging as the Battle Frontier itself. It doesn't even have to be BF anymore, but I'd rather something to do that's challenging, y'know? If it's anything similar to the Pokemon World Tournament that was in B2W2, I'd be more than satisfied.

Yep! I am just tired of the maison at this point.

Back