• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Is it possible to do these two things via binary hacking?

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2024
    1. Direct use HM, no asking, no Pokemon animation, just use after press A.
    2. In battle, when playing move animation, HUD will hide.
    I wanna apply them in some old hacks, but I have no idea how to find specfic values... so is this two possible to be implemented via binary hacking?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    1. Direct use HM, no asking, no Pokemon animation, just use after press A.
    2. In battle, when playing move animation, HUD will hide.
    I wanna apply them in some old hacks, but I have no idea how to find specfic values... so is this two possible to be implemented via binary hacking?

To be honest, this sorta thing is pretty tough using binary.

I think some peeps have done the HUD hide thing, but not too sure.

In any case, retroactively adding features to an existing binary hack is nigh on impossible, unless you know exactly where/if things have been repointed to.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • The direct-use HM thing should be fairly simple to do, given that HMs run off of NPC scripts. So, for things like Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, it's as simple as going into something like AdvanceMap and using your favourite NPC script editor to remove the parts of the script which you don't want.

For the HMs which have physical sprites like Cut, those sprites are considered NPCs by the game and have their own script that they run. For HMs like Surf and Flash, it might be a little more complex.

Surf is also done using a script, but this script is run via a tile and not an NPC. You can still edit or give it a new script, but you have to repoint it manually. I don't think Flash is able to be called via the overworld, so you'd have to go about that one in a different way.

Here's a list of all of the HM NPC scripts in FireRed and Emerald (you didn't specify which game you wanted).

Cut: 081BDF13 (FR) 082906BB (EM)
    Rock Smash: 081BE00C (FR) 082907A6 (EM)
    Strength: 081BE11D (FR) 082908BA (EM)
    Surf: 081A6AC8 (FR) 08271EA0 (EM)
    Waterfall: 081BE2C5 (FR) 08290A49 (EM)
    Dive: 081BE38B (FR) 08290B0F (EM)

(Yes, FireRed has a Dive script, although it is unused by default).

It's not impossible to add features to existing binary hacks, it just might be slightly more difficult depending on what was changed. At least for the HM thing, though, it should be pretty easy.

I don't know much about the other question you had, unfortunately. However, hopefully, this helps.

Last edited:
    Back