• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books Is reading dead?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Has reading books become a forlorn concept, taken over by TV shows and video games today? discuss!

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't think reading is really dead. I mean, it's true there's probably been a huge decline in it. Why else do you think so many people try to encourage it? I try to read more myself because I want to build my reading comprehension. I also feel as though it could help me improve my writing skills. I speak for probably most of the community when I say that reading is hard. It's hard to focus on reading a book at times because you are indeed tempted to do other things. Reading is old-fashioned, and I think that this is another reason it's losing out. Video games are becoming more of a thing as is television as well.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I don't think that books are dead. I think that we're simply at a point in time where reading them has fallen out of favor. From an informational as well as educational standpoint, the textbook is most definitely dying. But I consider this a good thing for environmental reasons. Shifting our textbooks/schoolwork to an electronic format will provide huge benefits to our planet.

From a standpoint of entertainment, this is where I really don't think that reading can go away. Books allow your imagination to do the imagery for you, which is a wonderful thing believe it or not. People trash all over movies based off books because the movie will never compare to the greatness going on in their own heads. It's a form of entertainment that Movies/Video Games simply cannot replace. Reading may not be a popular thing to do right now, but it will never die off.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • From an informational as well as educational standpoint, the textbook is most definitely dying. But I consider this a good thing for environmental reasons. Shifting our textbooks/schoolwork to an electronic format will provide huge benefits to our planet.

Not only that, but wouldn't this also help schools? I mean, take into consideration how most schools can't afford enough textbooks and such. It would really help them in the long run. The only problem I see is that schools also can't afford electronic materials either. I don't recall ever being taught by textbook much during my high school years. During elementary, yes, but that was mostly due to being taught during the 90s omg i feel old ugh.

I do agree though. Reading is definitely become more unpopular as time progresses, but it's not really to a point where it's dying out. I know there's a slight increase in kids today being taught to read more. What makes it harder is that we also have ways to read using book readers and tablets. So, reading hasn't really died off completely... it's just moving to a new source and actually building. Because of this, I think the idea of traditional reading might actually be declining... but again, not really dying.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I think it's a preference thing. I used to like books, but for fiction I switched over to other media because they are more engaging (I also prefer to have visuals accompanying the story). However, I love reading non-fiction books (mainly educational/study) and I hope those don't die out, because I think reading from books is a very calming thing to do. Especially now that we are confronted with so many 'active' forms of media (TV, computer, phones), I think it's important to preserve this more 'passive', inactive, and quieter form of entertainment and teaching.

I know a lot of people who still read, though. I know more book readers than non-readers. Personally, reading fiction books lulls me to sleep so I don't do it much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's definitely on the decline, but I would agree it's not dead (I'm sorry I can't say anything that hasn't been said). I love treating myself to a good every now and again, when theres time.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I'd hate to think that its dead as I love losing myself in a good book or series. I don't read as much as I used to, but when I have kids I will encourage them to read books. Actual books, not screens.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Based on the popularity of literally every Chapters (it's a huge bookstore chain here) in my city, I'd say not at all. Tons of people still line up to buy books and browse/read for hours there. I also see a lot of people just reading on the bus to pass time, although I can't say if there's a decline in reading for fun among children & teens today since I don't interact with any.

I also still consider e-books/e-texts "books", so even if schools are going green and ditching physical books, I don't consider that a 'decline of reading'. The content of an e-book is exactly the same as the content of a physical book, so whichever format people prefer/use, they are still reading.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Just because Hollywood has flashy large budgets and fame to market its movies (which are usually inspired by books) to the masses and impress people doesn't mean reading is obsolete. It's like asking if comics are dead because of the new comic adaptations in movies and TV shows.

No, reading is not dead, I mean look at some popular TV shows like Game of Thrones, if not for the popular book series by George R. R. Martin, the TV show would not even exist. Harry Potter is another example, the original books 1 to 7 are considered better than the movie adaptations in many ways, for example the movies were condensed into 2 and a half hour films while the books had more freedom and detail in its storytelling. Stories will not stop being told in written form for a long time, possibly forever because books can tell stories in ways that TV shows/movies or video games cannot.

There are always stories to tell, as long as there is some imagination. Books have been around for a long time, and will stick around for a very long time whether electronically or physically, reading is not going anywhere. The fact that words on a page can bring a world and its people to life is amazing. Plus there are very many new aspiring writers out there so it's not like people will stop reading.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I wonder if this question is asked because people aren't reading paper books as much as reading on their electronic devices. People can still be reading books on their phones/Kindles/Nooks/tablets, but it doesn't seem like they are simply because what they're reading doesn't look like a book.

Speaking from personal experience, I've had people stop and make comments while I'm reading because I still prefer to read paper books. I'll be out in public, and people will say "It's so great to see a young person reading a book instead of on their phone!" It's strange for me to hear them say that because I have also read books on my phone, but to other people, it just looks like I'm dithering around on my phone doing nothing important (to them).

So I really don't think that reading is dead. Reading paper books might be seen less, due to the inconvenience of them. (I've forgotten the paper book I was reading a few times, and lamented my loss.) But people are still reading books on their electronic devices. It just doesn't look like they are due to assumptions.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Oh god no, and it never will be. This'll be a tangent, sorry in advance :3

The survival of a medium, any medium, largely depends on what it has to offer, and boy does literature have lots to offer. Books specifically, and novels especially, are beautifully unique. I could easily fill a laundry list with the benefits that the novel format bestows upon narrative, character, and tone. In fact, the same ideas can be applied to every narrative medium.

Graphic novels come with the novelty (no pun intended) of unlimited artistic expression, whereas film and television allow actors, sets, and visual effects to bring characters and settings to LIFE. The artistry of those industries is also unique; mise-en-scene, musical score, editing... etc.

But BOOKS. Oh boy, books are special. Maybe I'm biased (although I honestly can't stand anyone hating on any narrative medium). Literature is undeniably an art form that stands entirely on its own, without relying on another. I doubt anybody would argue that though. Lots can be said from a technical perspective, but I doubt it has to. From a narrative perspective, novels offer a host of unique qualities. Take Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky for example, my all time favorite novel. I use it as an example because I think it effectively illustrates a specific quality that is very unique to books: characters' inner voices. I firmly believe this novel is unfilmable, because probably around 60-70% of it happens inside Rodya's head. His heart and mind are the focal points of the novel, and the reader gets to experience that first-hand in a way that no other medium could effectively convey. There's so much more that's unique to books (and literature in general), but again, I doubt they need to be said.

I don't thinking reading is dead or dying, I think it's simply lost its prior spotlight with the already massive and continually growing popularity of other mediums. But I know so many people who love to read and who are just as passionate about books as I am. As long as books continue to offer something that nothing else can, they will always be relevant.

I also don't distinguish between paper books and e-books. A book's a book, and reading is reading, how you chose to do so changes nothing but the quality of your eye sight :p

I love books (:

Years
  • Maybe? I think there's just more non-book media readily available to people so it looks like people spend more time elsewhere. Like, you see the billions of hits on a youtube video and you assume people are spending all their time there instead of with books. Maybe they are reading less. It's hard to say. It also seems like people don't really have the money to buy books and so much else out there is free or relatively cheap.

Bay

Years
  • Yeah I haven't been reading as much (saved for loads of fanfiction lol) due to lots of stuff going on. Lately though I prefer to read from an electronic device than the paperback/hardcover books as I tend to be away and an e-book I can read on the go. I agree with the other that books has this imaginative magic that other mediums can't replace.

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
    Years
  • Well, around here there's quite a few book stores that all do well, meanwhile a store chain that was for all media, books, video games, movies, seasons of tv shows, etc. ended up shutting down completely because it wasn't making enough money and these book stores still stand strong, so....

Pretty sure reading books isn't dead. Also I was a lit major in college and there were loads of us. People who love reading so much they decided that's what they wanted to do with their lives, was read and analyze books and write about it/teach about it. And most of these people did not like tv/film adaptations of their beloved literature.

pkmin3033

Being forced to read at school has made me not want to read in my own time
    I think this is a huge part of the problem with the generally negative perception surrounding reading these days - tastes change, and I don't think the older generation can accept that the younger find the "classics" to be unbearably tedious for the most part.

I mean, for Secondary School and College, I had to read Of Mice And Men, practically the entire works of Shakespeare, Wuthering Heights, and Great Expectations. They're amongst some of the most long-winded, tedious works of prose that exist, and being forced to go through them line-by-line and analyse them? If I didn't love reading, and discover my niche in fantasy novels early - and grow up with Harry Potter books like a lot of people my age - I doubt I would read much either.

The school curriculum is immensely flawed and seems to be designed to discourage reading, rather than encourage it. I think it's a real shame that schools can't recognise that people just are not interested in these long-winded and frankly outdated works any more, and that forcing the younger generation to read them is the equivalent of kicking someone who can't swim into the deep end of the pool...or putting them in a cage and then lowering them into shark-infested waters. Not many people are going to take to it. I'm not saying they should be forgotten about entirely, but I AM saying that they should not be mandatory or even considered except for a higher level (i.e. University) or unless someone takes an active interest in them.

I don't think reading is dead, but I do think it is headed that way unless people are actively encouraged from a young age to read books that they find interesting and engaging, not having these nightmarish behemoths crammed down their throats in some vain attempt to force an appreciation of literature upon them. I mean, nobody forces their kids to play Pong or to watch black-and-white movies to instill an appreciation of video games or movies on them, do they? Why should books be any different?

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I don't hate reading, but for whatever reason I'm a bit pickier when it comes to books then video games (I don't really watch TV lol). Books have TONS of potential, but video games have even more I think. Then again, it all depends on which book/game you're talking about xD

string555

Banned
    Years
  • A lot of people I know still read books, but it does seem to be on a decline for right now. There used to be a used book store near me, but it had closed down a while back. Before it had closed, I managed to score some good old books for really cheap. :D

Also, as for my family, everyone reads a lot. I kind of stopped reading fiction books years ago when my interest shifted to non-fiction type textbooks, but that's still reading books. Most of which are also actual physical books, though I do have some some electronic.

I don't think books will ever be completely replaced by other forms of media. As other people in this thread have said, there's a lot more detail and depth that can be conveyed in a book in comparison to watching a movie. When I saw the movie for Ender's Game (My favorite book series) I was saddened by just how much important details they left out. The character Bean, who is very important in the series, was practically an afterthought.

Back