• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the 3DS a "Pokémon machine" ??

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
    That's the same with MarioKart too. I play Super Circuit and the DS one and there's a big difference even though they're from consecutive hendheld generations. They do add new features each time. For MK8 they added anti-gravity, before that they added gliders. It might not be evident to someone who doesn't follow the series. And the releases are pretty far apart too. We won't be getting another MarioKart for atleast 2-3 years.

As of Nintendo handhelds being Pokemon machines, you could use them as that. Enough Pokemon games are released every generation to justify the purchase of a console just to play Pokemon. But there is no need to restrict yourself to just that. There's plenty of great games other than Pokemon. There's GTA, Super Mario, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Professor Layton, Fire Emblem, Zelda and what not. GTA Chinatown Wars (DS) happens to be he highest rated handheld game ever too.
    About one-third of the people who bought a 3DS/2DS have bought Pokemon X/Y, which is great, but don't forget the two-third's who didn't buy it for Pokemon.

The real question is.. Are they worth it? Correct me if i'm wrong but most of the games you listed are pass thru and trade (If that makes any sense, you understand). I don't play pokemon nearly as much as most of the people and I played 200+ hours.

The 3DS is not literally a 'Pokemon machine', I knew that. I'll have to change the title to: "Is the 3DS Almost a Pokemon machine?"

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yes and No. I bought the 3DS partly in anticipation for the next generation of Pokémon which I already assumed was going to be released on 3DS, but there were other games of my interest lined up too i.e MK7, Animal Crossing etc. Ultimately though I think the drive behind me getting one was the hope of a Ruby/Sapphire Remake.

Years
    Well I got my first 3DS before Black 2 and White 2 were even announced, but there wasn't much for it I really went out of my way for except Mario games. Today there isn't much I play for it besides Pokémon, but I keep telling myself to give other games for it a chance.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    The vast majority of the people in this thread talk about the 3DS the way most other gaming communities talk about the Vita.

There is a very real chance the 3DS could be looked back on as Nintendo's best handheld by the time it's lifespan is over..

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There is a very real chance the 3DS could be looked back on as Nintendo's best handheld by the time it's lifespan is over..

There is! 3DS has still got years ahead. Thus far, they have introduced many titles that we've found ourselves enjoying, such as Ocarina of Time, StarFox, Mario Kart 7, and so forth, and they're continuing this particular streak with the likes of Majora's Mask and various Pokémon titles. In comparison to some of their previous handhelds, this already seems to have a greater selection of games, doesn't it?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    The vast majority of the people in this thread talk about the 3DS the way most other gaming communities talk about the Vita.
    Because casual gamers expected Vita (as PS handheld) to have crapload of AAA titles instead of being a otaku/weeaboo handheld.
    No one expects that from 3DS.
    One expects to see Nintendo IPs on 3DS.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
    And we've gotten the vast majority of them so far, with lots of life left in the system. So why so much negativity?

PS Vita = current gen handheld console without pokemon
    3DS = 2007 tecnology with pokemon

Nintendo should start making next-gen products. They have the best exclusives(atleast that's what people say), why cheap out on the system that plays them.

They treat us like lil' kids! No nintendo, i'm a grown a$$ man! lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    PS Vita = current gen handheld console without pokemon
    3DS = 2007 tecnology with pokemon

I'll agree with this. I got my Vita a week before release and it is a sexy little piece of hardware. At the time the idea of 3DS out selling it seemed ridiculous.

But even then well before 3DS Pokemon was even announced the 3DS was selling like crazy. So (lazy attempt to get back to the point of the thread) no, the 3DS is by no means a Pokemon machine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    This is a bit off-topic, but in general, one thing that bothers me regarding how Nintendo deal with their handhelds is how they manage things; for example, them introducing newer handheld console releases with better technology and features than initial (such as New 3DS and DSi). Although this might be good from a business standpoint, but from fans' perspective, not so much. I believe it would've been nice if they were able to find a middle-ground somewhere.

Years
    I dont get it. You are saying there are games other then Pokemon for GBA and DS Lite? Lol, such a troll thread, reported.

Lol, Just kidding, but yeah, I bought GBA and DS Lite solely for the purpose of playing Pokemon games.

Tbh though, I am planning to play at least all the Super Mario, Zelda and Kirby games.
    I am currently doing a long time planned Pokemon marathon, but as soon as I have a stable financial situation, I'll get some other games as well to play along.
    Needless to say, the way things are now, I cant tell if I'll ever stop playing Pokemon games. I'll always either catch more, treade more, discover more, and if nothing, just clone and do other stuff. Just revisiting some places in pokemon games are worth playing the game. Distortion world <3

tl;dr Yes, I buy Nintendo handhelds primarily to play Pokemon games :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2016
    Because (at least from my standpoint) it doesn't really appeal to gamers that aren't interested in the big 3.

What do you mean by big 3? Like Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Or a trinity of Nintendo IP? Just want to make sure I know where you're coming from.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I believe 3Ds has great games but I always believed Pokemon and Zelda were always Nintendo's key games. Pokemon I believe is a system seller.

I just wish Sony gave the vita more support.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    I'll be honest here: I bought my 3DS just because I want to play Pokemon XY.

However, I don't agree that the Nintendo 3DS is just a Pokemon machine. True, I have spent hours on Pokemon alone (since those are the only games I have sob sob), but there are many other interesting titles for the 3DS alone.

I swear, if my financial state is stable, I'll get a lot of 3DS titles than only Pokemon (sob sob).

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    pcmasterrace

I'm one of those people that makes Nintendo's consoles thrive thanks to their Pokemon franchise. My DS has only played the following: Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Soul Silver, Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2. I literally just bought a 2DS off of Kijiji and am going to play Pokemon Y with it, and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

Disolia

Friend of the Lurantis
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Aug 14, 2019
    The Nintendo 3DS has quite a fair library of game, with several high quality releases such as Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, Shantae, Kirby triple deluxe, Legend of Zelda: A link between worlds, and all the remakes of several amazing launch titles from our past. Whilst Pokemon games are the reason I initially purchased the console, I now actually play more then just those games now.

I found that most nintendo titles, are either promising looking or enjoyable.

Years
    Although I've got some games that aren't Pokémon-related, like a couple of Sims games, Mario Kart, Dead or Alive and Diddy Kong Racing (for the normal DS), my DS and 3DS were bought primarily for Pokémon (Diamond and SoulSilver and X respectively) so I guess I do think of them as Pokémon machines lol, as they'd be the games I'd spend the most time playing (although that might be down to them being more adventure-based than the rest but even so lol) :)

Back