• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the era of Pokémon remakes over?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Are remakes a thing of the past?

We've had a pattern of remakes for quite some time now. FRLG were remakes of gen I, HGSS were remakes of gen II, and ORAS were remakes of gen III. But in an unprecedented move, RBY have been re-released on the Nintendo eShop, and they'll supposedly be able to transfer Pokemon forward to gen VII using Pokemon Bank.

Does the RBY re-release make FRLG obsolete? Do you think we'll still see remakes of Pokemon games in the future, or just re-releases? And do you think we'll ever see re-remakes (e.g., Kanto, Johto, or Hoenn a third time)?

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    FRLG are good games in their own rite. The content post-E4 is nice and the radically different game mechanics make it worth playing on its own. I definitely think we will see some games with Kanto and/or Johto in them in the future, as a well-constructed remake could definitely appeal to many fans (older and newer) regardless of whether it has been done before. And whether people generally like remakes or not, they are really the only way to bring back in players who may have lost interest and stopped purchasing new games recently. Kanto and Johto (and to a lesser but still substantial extent Hoenn) are far too popular for GF/Nintendo not to cash in repeatedly.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Personally, unless there is some big graphical shift coming up soon, I think we'll see Sinnoh and Unova remakes, and that's it. Get all the regions in 3D. Throw Kanto in there too eventually.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Yeah they'll probably keep making them.

The continuing improvement in handheld computing power is probably going to result in a big shift in what Pokemon games look like in 5, 10 years time. The 3DS is only just on the cusp of 3D gaming.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Re-remakes are a possibility. As for remakes becoming a thing of the past, I'm not sure if that'll happen any time soon, as they do keep on releasing new consoles every few years with updated graphics, mechanics, and so forth.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I can't see Sinnoh and Unova getting left out of the remake sweepstakes. It would be really odd if the developers just decided not to give them remakes. With the first gens getting remakes, odds are heavily in favor of the 4th and 5th gens also getting one so that they are equal footing of sorts with the other gens.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I would rather see more remakes of 1st gen than 4th and 5th. It would be a more exciting leap since FRLG came before DPPt and I'd still love a Yellow remake. One where Pikachu can either evolve or isn't as weak as a pea.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    When Ruby and Sapphire first came out back in 2002, the first thing that instantly stuck out to fans was the lack of trading compatibility with RBY and GSC. The GBA used a completely different link cable than the GB/C, and the data structure of the Pokémon in RS was completely different from those in RBY/GSC. This left a whopping 184 of the previous 251 Pokémon completely unobtainable in the newest games, despite their sprites and data existing in RS.

Remaking RBY on RS' engine offered a cheap, easy solution to that dilemma at the time. GF didn't have to spend time creating a new story and region, and as a bonus, it allowed them to reintroduce Gen 1 to the younger generation of fans who missed out on Pokémania, as well as possibly even bring back older fans who were turned away by RS' hard reboot.

While FireRed and LeafGreen got a somewhat mixed reception (many fans complained about the games being too similar to the originals and taking away more features than adding new ones), they still did well enough to set a precedent. It wasn't long until there was a demand for GSC remakes, and those demands were met in 2009 with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

And, like FRLG before it, HGSS also helped fill many compatibility holes. Up until then, Gen 2 was the last generation that could not be played on the DS (since Gen 1 was made playable via its remakes), and it was also the last generation to not have the "modern" stat system that was introduced with RS. Many of the old GSC carts had also become literally unplayable by then due to dead batteries. A large chunk of Gen 1-3 Pokémon were also completely unobtainable for those who owned a DSi, since the DSi couldn't Pal Park Pokémon in from the GBA games.

The cycle yet again repeated itself 5 years later with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire and for many of the exact same reasons as HGSS--the originals couldn't be played on the newest handheld, the old carts suffered from dead batteries, lots of fans wanted it, and so on. Predictably, many fans are now expecting Diamond and Pearl remakes to come out in 2019.

However, something unexpected happened in early 2016, not long after the release of ORAS--the original RBY were released on the 3DS Virtual Console. Even more than that, the games were made compatible with Pokémon Bank and the upcoming Gen 7 games, Sun and Moon. Suddenly, the very same games that were rendered obsolete by RS' compatibility cut 14 years ago have been brought back into the modern era, and all without being remade.

I can't emphasize enough on what a huge game-changer this is. GF has now literally figured out a way to make old games current and fully compatible without remaking them, and considering the main reasons why GF started remaking games in the first place, one has to wonder if we may see an end to remakes in favor of VC re-releases.

In the long run, just re-releasing the older games is more practical than remaking them. It obviously costs less for GF to do, and it also gives them more time to focus on making new games instead of continuously rehashing old ones.

Plus, a lot of people forget that even remakes can eventually become outdated and obsolete, themselves. Look at FRLG, for example. Despite being more updated than RBY, the games are still over a decade old and are missing A LOT of things that have been introduced into the series since the GBA era. What do you do when remakes become old and outdated? Do you remake them, too?

So, yes, I think the era of remaking Pokémon games has finally come to a close. Thanks to the Virtual Console and Pokémon Bank, remakes are no longer necessary for bringing old games into the modern era, which I frankly don't mind at all.

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I don't think services that sell older games via emulation necessarily preclude them from remaking those same games. To give an example, you could buy Final Fantasy VII on the PS4 in both original and remade formats at some point in the future.

I don't really have an opinion either way but some people would still like to see those old experiences remastered in newer tech and it's a system that's worked for them in the past, so it'll probably keep going.

Years
  • I feel like remakes have become a bit redundant now that we are getting R/B/Y on Virtual Console, making most people more likely to want to play that instead of their own remakes FR/LG. The reasoning with the remakes we've had so far was due to the original games lacking compatibility and needed to be made relevant again, or in the case of OR/AS, allow the entire Pokedex to be available naturally in 6th Gen by including the Pokemon that weren't found in X/Y.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Well we did get a remake in gen VI, so I definitely wouldn't say they're redundant. Remakes are only released periodically rather than more frequently such as main games and spin-offs, so their releases are kinda scattered. I don't think they will stop the remakes because they have been a part of the franchise for over 10 years now, and their sales figures are impressive too.

Years
  • I can see Blue's point, it's just that they are scattered more than games that are focused on the main region of the generation. While the Virtual Console looks like a threat, we could still see some remakes if their sales figures tend to be good.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I don't really have an opinion either way but some people would still like to see those old experiences remastered in newer tech and it's a system that's worked for them in the past, so it'll probably keep going.

But, where so you draw the line? It was easy back when Gens 1 and 2 were the only gens in need of remakes, but now, we're talking about gens that, themselves, included remade games. If RSE and DPP are old and outdated enough to warrant remaking, then is that not also the case for FRLG and HGSS? And, how do you deal with Gen 5, which has two completely different sets of games?

The remake train can't keep going on forever, especially if it comes at the expense of new games (as what seemed to happen to XY).

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Eventually they will be able to release all games on the E-shop, so we just need to wait.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No?

Yeah, no.

I beleive the main reason why they took the original RBY and made it more compatible was because of this serie's 20th anniversary. So yeah, I'm sorry but we still will have remakes. As for gen5, maybe it's remake will be both BW and it's sequels combined? Or maybe a BW3?

Anyway on an unrelated note I don't think the gen4 remakes will come out in 2019, because in my eyes it would be kinda odd to release a remake on an odd numbered year when all three of the other remakes were on even numbered years. I'd say since 2020 would be waaay too late, I'll place my bet on 2018.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I never really understood the hate that was directed at remakes in the series. Of course, remaking a game is by definition less creative than making an entirely new one, but I have enjoyed every single remake thus far. It expands and enhances an already great game. Maybe I just have a bit of a bleeding heart for the older games now.

Anyway, I have no problem with the renovation of games in the future.

pkmin3033

Unlikely. You're overlooking one crucial detail, which is the sole reason for these things in the first place: profit. Game Freak don't give a damn about whether it's strictly necessary to remake a game, they care about one thing and one thing only: profit. That's the whole reason they make games.

If there is sufficient demand for remakes of titles - and you can bet that there always will be - then they'll keep churning them out regardless of the circumstances. Bringing these games out on the eShop is a possibility. They'll probably do that as well. Money money money. That's a very cynical way to look at it I suppose, but...well, that's business. You already have people eagerly anticipating Sinnoh remakes now that ORAS are out of the way. In a few years you'll have people clamouring for Unova remakes. By that point we might even see another version of the original titles to mark an anniversary or something.

It just keeps on going and going. The gap between remakes might get longer as a result of things like Pokemon Bank, and the handheld generation gap - I wouldn't bet on a FR/LG remake until the handheld after the next one is out - but they'll keep coming. Because it's profitable. Simple as that, really.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I don't think there is enough demand for Sinnoh remakes. They seem to be the least popular games of the series. Remakes at this point aren't necessary. I'd rather see remakes of Pokemon Snap or something before main series games. Considering how wildly popular RSE are, and how much remakes were demanded for, ORAS was still only mildly successful so if I were GameFreak I wouldn't continue with remakes - which I think GF is doing because they've axed Gen 6s third version most likely.

Last edited:

COOLTRAINER♂

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    I'm not sure where you get that idea from since D/P and Platinum have sold more copies than R/S and Emerald respectively.

I think it will have to depend on the circumstances they face in the future. The new 3D games make it possible to reuse a lot of the Pokemon & character assest from a new game in a remake, and probably some of the buildings and other assorted scenery graphics. Since game making is all about having several stages that can't all be done at the same time they're able to plan one game while implementing the later stages of another.
    It doesn't help that Pokemon fans are really impatient and were already getting antsy in the run-up to the Pokemon Direct.

More technically speaking I think it all depends on what Nintendo does the future to tell if or when we even get a D/P remake. Would Game Freak want to wait for a more impressive boost than DS to 3DS, and when would that happen? Would the 3DS successor be able to still play those games (and deal with the awkward pre-Bank series of steps to get your Pokemon across several Gens), either by the hardware not supporting it or even moving to a totally incompatible cart type or control method? I honestly can't guess what will happen in the next few years.

Last edited:
    Back