• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Is the Game Development section dying?

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
  • I'm sure you have all noticed it too, that the Game Development section has gotten a lot less popular over the years. I remember in the late 2000's this part of Pokecommunity had quite a bit of active members. Nowadays it seems there is not nearly as much activity. Even the early 2010's were much more active than they are now.

Are people just losing interesting in developing games with Essentials? Have they lost motivation after trying and not succeeding? I honestly wish this forum was as active as it used to be, but it seems like it won't be changing anytime soon. I would like to hear all your opinions on this matter.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I came into this section when it had been SUPER busy compared to how it is these days and I remember it being quite active. A lot of it was that the section had a lot of developers that were capable of doing a number of things most others could not. These days, there are fewer of them contributing for various reason and they have stopped whatever projects they had going (I consider showcasing a contribution). It could also be trends, but I chalk it up to a lot of the people who were making this section so exciting moving on to other things over the years.

I have thought of ways to drum up excitement again along with various other people, but it is difficult because there are so many factors. Maruno and I have tossed ideas back and forth a handful of times as well and the conclusion seems to always be the say - at least in my mind.

Another factor is also the barrier that exists between picking up Game Development and picking up ROM Hacking. ROM Hacking has a huge selection of tools to help people get started and find their niche, and these tools are often accompanied by a fairly friendly UI. Here we just get to mess with .txt files and scripts in RMXP and that is about it.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Having the device on a handheld is super sweet. It means you can play it during your down time if you are on a trip or something. I do not believe that this is really that big of a deal though, because it does require additional equipment on the consumer's side of it all and I think something like updated features that GD offers over ROM Hacking is potentially enough to simply offset this to a degree.

You also have to keep in mind that the large teams working on these projects are also working on something that is pretty much from the ground up or is implementing things that are incredibly time consuming such as 3D models.

I think 3D models are more appealing to consumers, but ROM Hacking is primarily Gen 3 still which means people are often times just playing watered down features with nothing substantial that can be considered new. This is where GD really has the opportunity to grow and offer people, unfortunately everyone wants their ideas to be the ideas and ROM Hacking is better for one man teams.

There are a million reasons why the state of GD here on PC is where it is and changing that is a radical proposition because it requires the community to help turn it around - not just a few people.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen today
    Let me put it this way: I've tried to get into game development here before, and it would be pretty nice. The problem I've had, however, is with RMXP. Or rather, its price. Personally, I'm not willing to hand over some cash to some company for some game development platform from 2000 when I can just download a bunch of free stuff and do what I want (to make a Pokemon game) with ROM hacking. And there's no way I'm gonna try my luck downloading a "free" version of RMXP. So even if it has more features/possibilities/whatever, I'm not gonna pay ~$40 just to get it.

If there's ever going to be some sort of resurgence, I think there needs to be some form platform that is both easy to start on and free. ;)
    I know I'd love the chance to try something like that.

Years
  • Let me put it this way: I've tried to get into game development here before, and it would be pretty nice. The problem I've had, however, is with RMXP. Or rather, its price. Personally, I'm not willing to hand over some cash to some company for some game development platform from 2000 when I can just download a bunch of free stuff and do what I want (to make a Pokemon game) with ROM hacking. And there's no way I'm gonna try my luck downloading a "free" version of RMXP. So even if it has more features/possibilities/whatever, I'm not gonna pay ~$40 just to get it.

If there's ever going to be some sort of resurgence, I think there needs to be some form platform that is both easy to start on and free. ;)
    I know I'd love the chance to try something like that.

It's 25$ right now, and it occasionally drops even lower on steam. But I still see your point. However, the reason it costs money is because of how user friendly and capable it is. There's others out there, but generally they either cost more or are much harder to use. So, short of someone here creating their own program for this, I don't think there's much hope for free.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    People in here nowadays only care about making their own games (and being overly ambitious about it). Back in the day, people were making more things for everyone to use, from scripts and Essentials itself to resources and general discussions about game devving. At the moment, Game Development is nothing more than a billboard for game projects and tech support for Essentials. And that's dull.

What might help is some kind of project. It could either be a collaboratively-made game, or things like the All Animations Project for Essentials, or even a new game engine.

Obviously this would require a change of attitude in the members here, shifting from "I want" to "what can I give". This can't happen all by itself, though, so getting a community project going will probably be needed to force that change.

Another thing to consider is the scope of Game Dev. It's not just about making Pokémon computer games with Essentials. It also includes other original games, any medium you can think of (board/card/verbal/etc.), and even game mods. If it's creative and it's about a game, then it belongs in here. I think promoting this diversity can help to liven up the place as people realise just how much they can talk about here. You don't even need to make a game yourself to have an interest in the process of game development and the various disciplines and activities therein.

Florio

Years
  • People in here nowadays only care about making their own games (and being overly ambitious about it). Back in the day, people were making more things for everyone to use, from scripts and Essentials itself to resources and general discussions about game devving. At the moment, Game Development is nothing more than a billboard for game projects and tech support for Essentials. And that's dull.

What might help is some kind of project. It could either be a collaboratively-made game, or things like the All Animations Project for Essentials, or even a new game engine.

Obviously this would require a change of attitude in the members here, shifting from "I want" to "what can I give". This can't happen all by itself, though, so getting a community project going will probably be needed to force that change.

Another thing to consider is the scope of Game Dev. It's not just about making Pokémon computer games with Essentials. It also includes other original games, any medium you can think of (board/card/verbal/etc.), and even game mods. If it's creative and it's about a game, then it belongs in here. I think promoting this diversity can help to liven up the place as people realise just how much they can talk about here. You don't even need to make a game yourself to have an interest in the process of game development and the various disciplines and activities therein.

I agree about everyone only caring about their own game (I am somewhat guilty of this myself) and that we all need to band together to make some kind of group collaboration. Maybe we can all join together and start a big team for a single game? We all need to start doing something together though, but that is the first idea that comes off the top of my mind. I could definitely help make maps for this project.

But I completely agree that people are being selfish and only focusing on their own games, although I can't blame them considering the fact that you gotta stick to your own game if you want to complete it someday. I think if people started helping each other with their games (for example, I could help someone with maps on their game, and they could help me with sprites/scripts for my game), then this would feel more like a Community.

But yeah, if anyone wants to start a game project together, or even a big community project together, message me up. I am still dedicated to Crimson Skies but I hope to finish it soon and then I have plans to make a next game.

Florio

Years
  • I think resources are more valuable o the community as a whole than just another game is.

I think a project that a lot of the members of the community are working on could still be very valuable. I admit resources are important, but I couldn't help much there since I can't sprite and I can't script (although I have been considering learning). I could probably help with the all animations project, but that is about it.

As for resources, I think what we really need is a more refined battle system. I can definitely help find the flaws/errors in the battle system, although I have already posted about many of them such as opponent's Pokemon turn being skipped, Pokemon getting sent out before the end of a turn in a double battle (allowing 3-4 Pokemon to be killed in a single turn), and more.

Years
  • I think resources are more valuable o the community as a whole than just another game is.

The community working on a project together could result in better resources made for the community. What one might not be able to do alone, multiple people working together might be able to.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    As for resources, I think what we really need is a more refined battle system. I can definitely help find the flaws/errors in the battle system, although I have already posted about many of them such as opponent's Pokemon turn being skipped, Pokemon getting sent out before the end of a turn in a double battle (allowing 3-4 Pokemon to be killed in a single turn), and more.
    Essentials stress-testing projects could be a thing.

Florio

Years
  • The community working on a project together could result in better resources made for the community. What one might not be able to do alone, multiple people working together might be able to.

Exactly what I am thinking. If everyone is working on a single game together, not only could we finish it much faster, but we would also become more motivated to make a fully working game, which could then be used as a base for the new Essentials.

What we could do is get 5-10 people in on one game. With that many people, we could make a region, choose a tileset to use, and then split the region into sections for each individual person to map. Within one month, we could easily have a fully mapped region. Then from that point we would do things such as add Trainer's, wild encounter's, bosses, etc., and also updated all the scripts so that there is little to no bugs and everything is polished.

I honestly think this is a really good idea, instead of everyone selfishly working on their own game. If we band together, we could get a WHOLE lot more done.

Essentials stress-testing projects could be a thing.

It should be considering there is a lot of flaws in Essentials right now. If my game was completed, I wouldn't feel comfortable releasing it with the current scripts, as I want the player to have the cleanest experience possible. I think what really needs to be implemented is all moves/abilities, a battle system that replicates 6th Gen's, a much smarter AI (it sometimes picks moves that are not very effective, and even sometime picks Fake Out when its not first turn it was sent out), and a fully working trade and battle system.

As for the trade/battle system, I was thinking it could be Hamachi compatible so that all you and a friend have to do is connect to each other's Hamachi and then you can trade/battle. Either that, or there would have to be a predefined server for each individual game. I'm not sure exactly how it would work best.

And also, the all-animations project is definitely something work taking into consideration too, although I don't think move animations are as important as an actually fully functioning system. And also one complaint I have about the all animations project, is that the animations that people are making are too short for my taste, the usual animations in Pokemon last about 3 seconds at least and some of these are only half a second long, 2 seconds at most.

But yeah, I think I am going to start learning how to script in Ruby so that I can make my game better, and become more useful around here. Any recommendations on how to start? I'm looking for the fastest way possible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    But yeah, I think I am going to start learning how to script in Ruby so that I can make my game better, and become more useful around here. Any recommendations on how to start? I'm looking for the fastest way possible.

I've been using CodeAcademy in my free time lately. It isn't very fun but it's helpful in getting better at actually writing code, rather than just modifying what's already in essentials.
    http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/ruby

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    For me it's too many games with too many developers that are too ambitious for their abilities, this is why the community will die slowly, only those that can script will have a game that will make it, let's face it, with games coming out with nice new features, if someone with no scripting knowledge tries to do the same sort of thing, which they can't do... They quit... Which is a lot of games/people/teams.

Sometimes I do think that if many members pulled together, a game could get completed within months... But timezones is what will effect this mostly.

So many members with no scripting know-how want stuff for free... But it's no longer "can anyone help me make a fainting count system" (which is really simple and effective if used properly), it's now, "can someone make me a new menu system with pop-ups, fancy music and Pokémon that change randomly with this icon and that background, oh I'd also like a triple battle system that can result in horde battles but I want to be able to change it to a sky battle if the battle is a gym battle and the Pokémon is their last Pokémon after the leader pops up and says "you're stronger than I thought" with a random trainer joining in the battle for no reason..." (and you get the idea with that)... And when the community neglects to help, the members get agitated and leaves...

Another thing would be upon releasing a game... All your hard work may be undone in 60 seconds by decrypting it and being stolen... Another reason why the community will die, games won't be released to the public if this continues... Game Development is a place for one or some, people, to get together and let their imagination run wild, while having fun at the same time, so once someone comes up with a nifty script that is unique and then someone decrypts their game and posts it publicly, or uses it without consent and it gets published through their game... Developers use that as a reason to stop... What's the point in doing something for months-on-end, for one person to completely ignore all standards and respect towards the developer... So that developer quits.

Obviously this isn't everyone, Maruno, Mej, FL., myself, Luka, the guys working on Animations and the guys working on Gen 6 Update, among others, help out where we can... But must we do all the work for you... We as a community don't mind helping where help is needed, but trying to make an ambitious game that we cannot complete or even contribute to (you know what I mean by that), is outrageous and can in some cases infuriate many people, including ourselves...

The community will die when there is this much selfishness... But we as a race are built to be selfish... So... The community will die.

All this combined with the amount of hacking tools on the interweb and the fact hacking a game is much easier than creating one, results in game development dieing...

There is a pattern... But to answer the main question in one line:
    Yes, the game development section is dieing and will continue to do so over time.
    It's a mega shame, but what you gonna do?!

Last edited:

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • I'm all for working on a joint project of any sort. I think it'd definitely make more connections and relations in the community.

And I also believe a more people than you think would want to as well, but they feel lacking in scripting/spriting/etc. so they feel inadequate in helping out.
    But I think if we for example started working more on Essentials as a community, rather than Maruno doing almost all the work, there'd be "jobs" like stress-/bugtesting and other simple, but tedious work that those people could help out with.

Many of the lurkers, newcomers or people with lacking skills in areas may still want to help and be part of the community, but can't find any community-projects to help out with and don't really have the initiative to start their own community-project.
    Just creating that opportunity would definitely be a step in the right direction for Game.Dev.

Reactions: FL

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I think I agree that the main issues are self-absorption and overscoping. How often do we see another post to the recruitment thread where it's basically "I'm looking for a team - I need a mapper, a spriter, a story writer, a programmer, and someone to give me a copy of RMXP; I'm more of the ideas guy"(hyperbole, I know, but it still kinda rings true)? And even the people offering critique for projects just stroke their own egos. I remember seeing a critique of a map in which the reviewer cited HIS OWN MAP as a paragon of 'mapping done right'(tm)

I'd personally love to try and host another game jam at some point, but I know I can't; not after the debacle that was my schedule in the fall(even now I'm writing this on borrowed time - I have a submission for my school project due tonight, and a board game to churn out by this afternoon), and I've found that I don't know where to look for judges to help. The main reason I bring up the game jams was because I felt they could be a really fun regular event, and much more gratifying since you don't need to scope an epic adventure where you travel all the regions and go toe to toe with the title screen legendary and all that jazz. It was a quick way, at least I thought, to inject a bit of life into the community outside of 'hey look at my game isn't it great?'

Another thing that seems to stagnate the community is the lack of diversity in engines. Every once in a while, a non-RMXP project will crop up and then die out after a little time because nobody else uses the same system and there's nowhere to get help on it. Something I've been working on that could be really helpful is the engine I've been using for AWAKE; it's almost to the point of functioning equivalently to Gen VI's over world, but with sprites instead of 3d character models. However, that's still a ways off from happening since I've got it tied to a few systems specific to my own work. That said, it could also be extremely beneficial, since it could parse the same text files as Essentials for pokemon data and battle system info, allowing easy porting from one to the other.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • I was working on a Sinnoh base pack for Essentials a while back. The idea of this pack was to allow people to download an already built and populated Sinnoh region complete with Gen 4 tiles that were ready to go. The project was intended to take out a god chunk of work for anyone wanting to build a game in that region. It's progress has stopped and been halted for some time abut I still have the project backed up and ready to be picked up again. Maybe I will try and open it back up to the community and see if people are interested in helping out with it.

While I believe a fair amount of the inactivity here is due to lack of encouraging things to work on, I also strongly believe that the section has just become less and less entry level friendly. Wichu used to have some fairly in-depth scripting tutorials that were posted if I recall, at least I believe it was Wichu. Anyways, they were basically a script they posted for people to use, but he made YOU actually write it and explained what was doing what as he walked you through writing it. Resources like this seem quite valuable over simply handing over the script, because it helps everyone in the grand scheme of things. It helps the new comer start understanding scripts and it helps the person writing the script by growing the number of people who are scripting so that they are not buried in questions. These are the kinds of resources I would love to see, because they are actually tutorials cleverly disguised as a resource.

The other side of this coin are things like the Game Jam, which are fun things that encourage people to look at development under a smaller scope and even teach people a bit of time management if you want to think about it in a more abstract way.

It is nice to see the Gen 6 thread kicking up dust again, and hopefully we can have it a bit more organized this time around so that we can track what is done, what is not done, what is being worked on, and what is needing to be done with a bit of help. My hope is that not only can we finally see it completed, but that we can also come up with a more uniform system of managing community projects moving forward.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen today
    I see 2D game-making commuities weakening overall, since the new generation of gamers don't like 2D as before. The official games are too ahead of us in terms of graphics.

In this community I see too many cases of selfishness, Nickalooose said all: The community will die when there is this much selfishness... But we as a race are built to be selfish... So... The community will die.

I'm all for working on a joint project of any sort. I think it'd definitely make more connections and relations in the community.

And I also believe a more people than you think would want to as well, but they feel lacking in scripting/spriting/etc. so they feel inadequate in helping out.
    But I think if we for example started working more on Essentials as a community, rather than Maruno doing almost all the work, there'd be "jobs" like stress-/bugtesting and other simple, but tedious work that those people could help out with.

Many of the lurkers, newcomers or people with lacking skills in areas may still want to help and be part of the community, but can't find any community-projects to help out with and don't really have the initiative to start their own community-project.
    Just creating that opportunity would definitely be a step in the right direction for Game.Dev.
    Good point! Maybe we can spread more clear and direct ways for helping the community, specially for people who can't script/spriting/etc. An important thing that makes the youtubers popular is the insistent "Subscribe and like" messages, so, this also works for us!

I was working on a Sinnoh base pack for Essentials a while back. The idea of this pack was to allow people to download an already built and populated Sinnoh region complete with Gen 4 tiles that were ready to go. The project was intended to take out a god chunk of work for anyone wanting to build a game in that region. It's progress has stopped and been halted for some time abut I still have the project backed up and ready to be picked up again. Maybe I will try and open it back up to the community and see if people are interested in helping out with it.
    Good idea! Interesting advantage against Rom Hacking! A FrLg/HgSs base kit would be more effective, though.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • Honestly, when it comes to Rom Hacking vs Game Development as a whole, there are no "winners" in that debate.

Rom Hackers have the advantage of accessibility, but become far too complacent with the tools they have, and when something goes wrong and/or they can't do something with the tools, a project usually dies out and gets abandoned. They have documented tutorials that basically rip the engine apart and tell users how to add new features not present in the game. However, Rom Hacking has its downfalls as well: Aside from the complacency, there is also a very confined space to work in - you can only expand the rom so far before you run out of space to throw new mechanics and scripts in. There's also the fact that a lot of the Rom Hackers seem to avoid learning/are incapable of learning how to Hex Edit, and do ASM, which, if you want to make your hack shine beyond the base it uses, you're going to need to figure out how to do. Personally, I also feel like Gen 3 gets far too much showtime and none of the other generations get any spotlight, but Gen 3 is the most documented of the games (and easiest to emulate), though this isn't really a downside.

Game Development has its perks and disadvantages as well. Using RPG Maker and Essentials as the example here (Since this community has the most to offer to Essentials users), the developers can work in a near limitless engine to produce an ideal game. Some people find the tight limitations of Rom Hacking counter-productive to the vision they would like to create. Some people find the scripting language of Pokemon games to be more complicated to understand than the rather basic Event system that RPG Maker has to offer. However, with RPG Maker and Essentials, the engine is not yet complete - I've seen people complaining that it doesn't support basic essential functions, despite claiming to be an Essential Engine (These things usually get rectified in later versions because Essentials is currently in Development, but still). Similar to the Rom Hacking scene, figuring out RGSS for RPG Maker can be tedious, if not impossible, for someone who just doesn't have that type of capability to think in code like that. I'm kind of like that in that regard, that I can't understand the scripting language of Pokemon Games, and RGSS only comes barely better but is still confusing to me. A disadvantage not to the game, but the community itself, is RPG Maker's Near Limitless capabilities. Users get absurdly high ambitions that would need constant focus and dedication to complete, and intricate knowledge of the scripting system sometimes. If they give up, it litters the community with incomplete projects.

In short, to say that Rom Hacking is going to "beat" Game Development is probably foolhardy. People from both sides shift locales every so often because of the perks one offers over the other. Hell, I find myself wanting to do a Generation 4 Rom Hack (Probably wont, because the lack of documentation).

As for claiming that the community is selfish - yeah sure, we do have selfish people in the bunch, but so do all communities and all people. This board is honestly no different than the Rom Hacking one; if it's any different, it's because we have a Requests Thread, and/or people who have a place to post about their... inquiries in a regulated environment. Honestly, the best thing to do is to try and avoid acknowledging the selfish people if it bothers you that much, or let someone else post in the thread; We don't need 5 people raining down a hailstorm in thread saying "You really should learn how to script if you want to get anywhere". There are people I'm looking at that feel the need to do this every so often, as if to assert their superiority and authority over the uneducated masses.

To answer the initial topic of this thread: "Is the Game Development section dying"? If it's dying, it's because you're complacent with letting it die. Personally, I still feel it's thriving. Essentials V14 is out, with 15 in development. We have users still actively working on projects, we have users still contributing their stuff to the community when they can - I know I occasionally contribute small little interesting script changes when I can, to give some additional pizzazz to people's games. Sure, some people are greedy, some people take more than they give. But that's not really uncommon in large development settings. Modding communities have always had a abnormal Take:Give ratio. My stance on that is, we shouldn't be too locked down on our resources, and they should be more publicly posted for those to use them, maybe even learn from them. Observing the Command & Conquer Modding Community, where resources are absurdly locked down unless you're on a development team, it's basically become a Ripper's Paradise, where everyone is ripping assets from other games and other mods because there is barely any public asset distribution anymore. Granted, their reasons for asset lockdown are valid - because people would rip in the first place, but when you keep finding new ways to lock down your assets, people keep finding new and inventive ways to crack open your game and steal them. I suppose this all is an argument for "Should more things be open source", to which I am always in favor for, but not everyone agrees.

Now that my thoughts on the core subject are out of the way, there's a reply or two I'd want to address...

A group collaborative project would be interesting, but hard to manage. One of the reasons I prefer to do most of the work on Faith & Prayer version alone is because I don't understand how a group project would work. As far as I'm aware, there's no Source Revision Control software that'll be good for RPG Maker XP itself - maybe for the files in the pbs folder and for graphics, but when it gets down to it, colliding edits in two different versions of a game could override the older edit and deleting the progress one person made. If there's a way to do SRC I'd love to hear how, because it could open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

Getting away from SRC though, having a project where several people work on it, like the All Animations Project, would be ideal. It'd be great if it had something for everyone, and if it had pros in the community working on it as well, to lend support and advice to those who want to use this project as a way to improve and hone their skills. I'm in support of the idea, however I'm not sure where to take the idea that the community as a whole could feel included.

But does this include games outside the Pokemon spectrum? Like, if I wanted to post about a mod for, say, Command & Conquer. Would that be accepted here? A thing to consider is the notice it would get here. Would a game that isn't Pokemon-centric have a decent following on a forum that is high in Pokemon-related activity? Would it be accepted or even noticed? I think the issue isn't that people don't want to do it, but that this board has become so interconnected with Essentials-related projects that, like said above, any project in a different engine with a different intent of Non-Pokemon just gets shafted to the wayside. I'd love to see more Non-Essentials and Non-Pokemon games here one day.

I was working on a Sinnoh base pack for Essentials a while back. The idea of this pack was to allow people to download an already built and populated Sinnoh region complete with Gen 4 tiles that were ready to go. The project was intended to take out a god chunk of work for anyone wanting to build a game in that region. It's progress has stopped and been halted for some time abut I still have the project backed up and ready to be picked up again. Maybe I will try and open it back up to the community and see if people are interested in helping out with it.
    Good idea! Interesting advantage against Rom Hacking! A FrLg/HgSs base kit would be more effective, though.

I think a Sinnoh-Centric Starter Kit would be interesting to see done because, and this is my opinion, Kanto has been done to death in it's repetitive attempts at recreating it. Faith & Prayer recreates Kanto, yeah, but it tries to throw new spins on it by redesigning the maps so it's not the same tedium again and again. Johto is something that everyone and their grandparents tried recreating in the heyday, but it's always good to see Johto development. Something that isn't Kanto or Johto would be a nice change of pace. Sinnoh would probably be a welcome change.

While I believe a fair amount of the inactivity here is due to lack of encouraging things to work on, I also strongly believe that the section has just become less and less entry level friendly. Wichu used to have some fairly in-depth scripting tutorials that were posted if I recall, at least I believe it was Wichu. Anyways, they were basically a script they posted for people to use, but he made YOU actually write it and explained what was doing what as he walked you through writing it. Resources like this seem quite valuable over simply handing over the script, because it helps everyone in the grand scheme of things. It helps the new comer start understanding scripts and it helps the person writing the script by growing the number of people who are scripting so that they are not buried in questions. These are the kinds of resources I would love to see, because they are actually tutorials cleverly disguised as a resource.

With the Touhoumon DevKit, I did some little tidbits in the DevGym where the user cannot advance (unless they use Debug Through Walls) without editing individual events to make them work. It's not on the level you're thinking, but it helps to get the user to understand how mechanics work a little better. Having an Interactive Scripting Lesson would be fantastic for entry-level users, as it could walk them through the basics, and give them "assignments" on how to make things work so they learn for themselves. Honestly, I think the whole "They should learn on their own how to make it work" mantra is just disguised elitism and trying to keep a faulty status quo, and it's severely counter-productive to the continued life of any game development cycle. If you outright tell a person "I won't help you, figure it out on your own" (Which, granted, many people here don't do unless they get fed up with certain topics), then that kills any sort of potential future that may be had - if you discourage someone from learning, you contribute to your own downfall, and that in itself is selfish.

That's... Pretty much all I have to say, or can say at the moment.

WackyTurtle

Developer
    Years
  • I'd love the idea of a community-based game. I mean, 4chan did it, and they're a hell of a lot less organised than us. I reckon it would have to be an episodic thing, since keeping everything consistent with that many people on board from different places, time zones etc. would be difficult. I still think Game Jams are the way to go actually, even if the last one's outcome wasn't exactly ideal (through no-one's fault, I might add).

As for the community thing, yes I agree that this place is a lot less buzzy than it was. It's also quite intimidating for newcomers. When I first started posting back in 2011, it was quite tricky navigating an already existing network of well-known developers, and posting about problems you were having often resulted in someone chastising you for not knowing about something basic, or not having checked other discussions for a solution to your problem. Although, to be fair, it becomes frustrating to see a thriving community turn into a place where people ask the same questions over and over again. I've got a crazy amount of respect for you Maruno for keeping this place on-track, what with the release of the latest Essentials engine, as well as maintaining an excellent wiki, and I think we can all do our part to help out. I'd be more than willing to work on some tutorials, or help out on a community project - anything to keep this place the bastion of creative energy that it should be.

Back