• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a character with your name in the series?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • Are there any characters in the series (games, anime, manga, etc.) that share your name? What Pokémon do they have? Would you ever train these Pokémon?

If you aren't sure, Bulbapedia's search is pretty good for finding anime characters... and it's not terrible for finding trainers from the games, too if you search instead of hitting "go"). Apologies in advance to anyone with a really unique name, hahaha.

Apparently I share my name with a Coordinator from the anime who I've never heard of before. She has a Jynx. I also share my name with a Swimmer in Sinnoh, who has a Psyduck and a Remoraid. Admittedly... none of these Pokémon are things I would ever train, so these Ericas don't really live up to my expectations. If you spell my name wrong, though, you get Erika, the Celadon City gym leader who is a grass type trainer. I hated grass types when I first played RBY, but now I really like them and many of my favourites are grass types, so I've definitely warmed up to her over the years even if she can't spell.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Apparently there are some!

Rika is a regular at the Game Store in Pokémon Trading Card Game Online. She can be faced in City Championships in the Trainer Challenge for a total of two matches.

"Rika is an avid card collector as well as a skilled tournament player. She made World Championships last year, and she likes to analyze games once they're over, always striving to improve. Rika has complete Japanese sets of several expansions, and she writes poetry in her spare time."
    She uses a fire/metal deck in the TCG! I could definitely live with a fire/metal team!

Then if we go meta, there's this:
    Rica Matsumoto (Japanese: 松本梨香 formerly 松本利香 Matsumoto Rika) is a Japanese seiyū for the Pokémon anime. She was born on November 30, 1968, in Yokohama, Japan. Her most famous role is that of Satoshi.
    Haha, the person making the voice for Satoshi was called Rica! Close enough ;)

Then there's no more Rika, it seems. Only Seymour, the scientist at Mt Moon in the anime whose japanese name is apparently Rikao or something similar.
    In the Japanese version, Seymour is from Pewter City and works for the Pewter Museum of Science. Instead of reciting poetry, he is enchanted by the romantic aspects of the moon. His name is a play on 理科 rika, which means "science."
    Clefairies and science are cool, I suppose :p

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Apparently there was a guy in the Anime called Vincent who was apart of the Silver Conference. That actually would have been not long after I stopped watching the Anime as I got bored of it about half way through the Johto season where Ash started losing all his cool pokemon. The Vincent guy had a shiny Magneton too according to Bulbapedia which is pretty cool.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    There's apparently 2 Trainer NPCs in the games that share my name, aaaaaaaaaand that's about it. Nothing all that exciting.

No one will ever have my name.
    but we wanna know

Years
  • Let's see, in Sinnoh, I think there's a cyclist named John, who has a Starly and Staravia in DP and Pt. Dunno about anyone else though.

Years
  • There's two NPCs that have my name. Both of them in Unova.
    1. Battle Girl Chandra in Icirrus Gym. She has 2 Vanillish. I don't like Vanillish so the name is about all we have in common.
    2. Ace Trainer Chandra on Unova's Victory Road. She has Darmanitan and Tangrowth. Again, two pokemon I don't really like. But it's very cool that's she a good trainer class and on victory road

Years
  • Pyramid King Brandon is pretty close to my name, and it's kind of cool seeing as he's one of the best trainers in Hoenn. There's also Worker Brendon and Veteran Brenden in D/P/Pt, along with Sailor Brenden in Emerald, which are all pretty close, with just one letter being different.

As for Brendan, I don't think there's been anyone in the games with that name, though I might be mistaken. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with OR/AS...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Pyramid King Brandon is pretty close to my name, and it's kind of cool seeing as he's one of the best trainers in Hoenn. There's also Worker Brendon and Veteran Brenden in D/P/Pt, along with Sailor Brenden in Emerald, which are all pretty close, with just one letter being different.

As for Brendan, I don't think there's been anyone in the games with that name, though I might be mistaken. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky with OR/AS...
    You think you are so funny.
    xD

Hey, if one letter differences are allowed, can I count gym leader eRika? ;)

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to characters in Pokemon named Ryan, on Route 45 there is a Cooltrainer/Ace Trainer who has an Electabuzz and a Pidgeot. There also Worker Ryan in the Cold Storage in Black and White. This one uses two Timbur and a Vanillite. As for the characters of the day in the anime, Episode 495, The Champ Twins has one of the characters of the day named Ryan. This one has a Quilava.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I looked her up, but I also remembered her!!

There's a swimmer named Mallory in Diamond/Pearl who has a Seel and a Dewgong. They're not Pokemon I talk about to any extent, but I have always liked them and I would train them. Then in Platinum she appears again, but with a Surskit and a Lombre. I personally would never use Surskit, but Lombre I have and I would again.

If you spell my name differently you get Pokemon Ranger Malory from B/W. She has an Arcanine. Another doable Pokemon for me. In B2/W2 there's backers Mary and Mal and they have an Emolga and a Pachirisu. I hate those two with a passion.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    According to bulbapedia there's an anime character with my name (Sean) who appeared in a Best Wishes (5th gen) episode called "Battling the Bully!".

He didn't actually own any pokemon, but he borrowed a Patrat, Blitzle, Scolipede and Seismitoad from his dad during the episode. I'm not keen on Patrat, Blitzle or Seismitoad but I used a Scolipede on my first White playthrough and it's now one of my favourite pokemon (and my favourite bug type) so that's pretty cool.

I could have sworn there was a trainer in the games called Sean though, I'll have to dig deeper.

Years
  • I'm pretty sure there's been a Samantha in like every gen since names were introduced... except 6th gen, apparently, as it didn't show up in Bulbapedia. Weird. .___.

There's a beauty Samantha in Whitney's gym with 2 Meowths,
    a psychic Samantha in Tate/Liza's gym with a Xatu,
    a lass Samantha in Route 204 in Sinnoh with a Budew,
    and two different Samanthas in 5th gen: a scientist with Munna in B/W, and then a preschooler with DRAGONS in BW2.

Not sure if scientist Samantha or psychic Samantha would be cooler. 8) I'm not too fond of Xatu but being a psychic would be awesome!
    But the one with two Meowths sounds like me in the future: crazy cat lady.

As for the anime, there was a one shot Samantha with a Mawile (eh). Sadly I don't remember that episode; it must've been after I dropped the anime.

Years
  • Oh my gosh! I didn't realize there was a Stephanie in the franchise! She was in the anime and chose a mudkip as her starter. I actually never played the Hoenn games but I've always liked water pokemon and mudkip looks cute, so I probably would train it (but keep it at the unevolved form). c:

Still waiting for an appearance in the games though... c'mon!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Although it definitely would have been nice to see a character based after my name in the series (whether it be games, anime, or manga), I don't believe there is any, unfortunately. Maybe there is, but can't exactly find anyone.

Looking up at Bulbapedia, however, closest thing would probably have to be when Ash dresses up as a girl in few of the anime episodes, and goes by the name "Ashley."

Ash dressed up as Ashley in Pokémon Scent-sation! when he was barred access to the Celadon Gym for insulting the perfume which the Gym was known for manufacturing. Jessie, James and Meowth saw that he had been thrown out, and offered to help him get in the Gym with a disguise. He reluctantly agreed, and they dressed him up as a girl. As Ashley, Ash wore an orange frilly dress that had a pink ribbon in the back, a blonde wig with a pink ribbon and red high heels. They entered disguised as a family, with Ash playing the part of the daughter, Ashley. He remained incognito for a while, even as Brock and Misty greeted him, but his cover was blown when Pikachu recognized him. Ash tried to ignore Pikachu, but after it hit Ash with a Thunderbolt, his wig disintegrated and his identity was revealed, much to a very angry Erika's dismay. Ash would eventually get his Gym battle with Erika anyway, without the dress.

Since the incident, Ash has crossdressed again in Love at First Flight. However, this was to roleplay as Juliet for Romeo to practice speaking to. He also cross dressed in Tanks for the Memories! to help out at the Café Cabin. He did it once again in Beauties Battling for Pride and Prestige! (also under the name Ashley, サトミ Satomi in the Japanese version), to get into a place that only girls were allowed in. In Beauties Battling for Pride and Prestige the reason Ash disguised himself as "Ashley" was so he, Iris, and Cilan (who also was disguised as a girl and went by the name "Cilanor") can get into the girl's headquarters because Iris wanted to get back at Moira and her friends for saying mean things about Emolga and the rest of the gangs Pokémon.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • Black Tower has a boss named Harmony, and apparently there was some Harmony in an Advanced Generation anime episode.

My given name has never belonged to any Pokemon character, though.

Back