• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Island Guardians!

smocks

fiat lux
Years
  • In E3, they stated that each island has its own guardian, what guardians are you expecting to have? Typings/designs? Do you think Solgaleo and Lunala are guardians of an Island or just overall legends? ^^

also, "Tapu Koyo" is apparently a legend & has some meaning behind it, what do you think about it? :o

Last edited:

deathpool

Hopeless Cole Stan
    Years
  • It's also worth noting that Hala describes the protagonist as "the one who has met with Tapu Koko" interesting! Hau is also the grandson of the Kahuna, which is a wiseman or a person in charge in Hawaii.

Years
  • Solgaleo and Lunala being the guardian that is worshipped seems like a plausible thing, and maybe we might get Zygarde or the rumoured Marshadow as the third wheel in this.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Could Tapu Koko be what the strange souvenir is based on?

I think so.

I also think I caught a brief moment when Hala gives praise to Melemele. That's the name of the island as there's a Dex whose Japanese name translates to Melemele. Hawaiian religion as well as others, would involve praising the land, and the guardian of that land.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't know if Solgaleo, Zygarde and Lunala are the Guardians. If they were all the guardians, they would probably be on different islands, but so far, all three seem to be on the abandoned island where the altar is along with a World Tree.

I am hoping these are 4 additional legendaries and I hope there are at least 10 non Mythical Legends. The 4 mentioned could also be the Legendary Trio that we lacked in XY

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I kind of hope that Solgaleo, Lunaala and Marshadow are separate to the guardians, honestly. Maybe just because I want more Pokemon.

If they are, Tapu Koko obviously won't be either of them unless it is Solgaleo in Sun and Lunaala in Moon or something, which would be weird. Name analysis time!

Tapu, in Polynesian culture, is a traditional concept denoting something holy or sacred.

Koko is the Hawaiian word for blood.

Sacred blood? Basically a generic legendary name/concept then?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I kind of hope that Solgaleo, Lunaala and Marshadow are separate to the guardians, honestly. Maybe just because I want more Pokemon.

If they are, Tapu Koko obviously won't be either of them unless it is Solgaleo in Sun and Lunaala in Moon or something, which would be weird. Name analysis time!

Tapu, in Polynesian culture, is a traditional concept denoting something holy or sacred.

Or perhaps a third legendary that rules over both of them. I'm not entirely sure how that would work, given we have Pokemon that each symbolize the Earth, Moon, and Sun. Perhaps a Pokemon with darker connotations?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    What if the final evos of Litten, Poplio, Rowlet, and Iwanko have megas that would be considered the guardians?

Years

Now I'm wondering if Tapu Koko is even a Pokemon. Ancestor worship was a thing in Hawaiian religion after all, so Hala could've been talking about the ancestors of the Alolan people.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I really do think that the guardians are "to be announced" legendary Pokemon that we have not seen yet. Simply because I get the idea from the information that has been given to us that the guardians are relevant to both versions where as obviously the two mascot legends would be version exclusives. If the legendary mascots were the actual guardians than how would that apply to the story where possibly three or less of the guardians are obtainable in any one version that applies significance to all four guardians within the story.
    I feel like Sun and Moon are going to give us a huge plethora of new Legendary Pokemon.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I;m thinking that Solagleo, Lunala, and Marshadow over look the region from the sky land, and water.

While the islands will each have 4 new legends, in which one guards each island as a first defense essentially.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am kinda hoping that the legendary trio, if we get one, are also not the Guardians, although it matches their role of normal trios. If they are guardians, I hope they are the guardians, I hope that they are water based.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Actually. Ever since I saw that strange souvenir and how it mentioned it was venerated as protector in some far off region I've had this concept in my head of those colossal titan like Pokemon that just tower above you. It seems fitting to me that the protector of an entire island would be tall and intimidating.

For some reason I feel like that fits that whole tiki design they apparently have going on. (or at least one of them)

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to just have these four skyscraper Pokemon just rise up out of the ocean?

Years
  • Actually. Ever since I saw that strange souvenir and how it mentioned it was venerated as protector in some far off region I've had this concept in my head of those colossal titan like Pokemon that just tower above you. It seems fitting to me that the protector of an entire island would be tall and intimidating.

For some reason I feel like that fits that whole tiki design they apparently have going on. (or at least one of them)

Can you imagine how awesome it would be to just have these four skyscraper Pokemon just rise up out of the ocean?
    That would be intimidating. I too imagined the Souvenir to be a Giant Pokémon as big, or bigger than Regigigas. I do see one emerging from the lava of a volcano. Another from the ocean. One from a forest, and another from sand or stone. So a Fire, Water, Grass or Flying, or both, and Ground or Rock, or both Quad. Funny enough the starters and Iwanko have all those types, except for Ground (though it's rumored that Litten or Rowlet's final could be part ground).

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Now I'm wondering if Tapu Koko is even a Pokemon. Ancestor worship was a thing in Hawaiian religion after all, so Hala could've been talking about the ancestors of the Alolan people.

I don't think so. The people in the pokemon universe worship legendary pokemon. They usually don't mention something like Religion or Gods in the games unless they are pokemon.

The Guardians are probably going to be based on the Four Tiki Gods as someone has brought up in another thread.

All four match Masuda's Life Theme that he wanted to do with these games. Fertility, Light/Life, War and Sea. All are aspects of Life.

Last edited:

Years
  • I don't think so. The people in the pokemon universe worship legendary pokemon. They usually don't mention something like Religion or Gods in the games unless they are pokemon.

The Guardians are probably going to be based on the Four Tiki Gods as someone has brought up in another thread.

All four match Masuda's Life Theme that he wanted to do with these games. Fertility, Light/Life, War and Sea. All are aspects of Life.

Kane and Kanaloa match what I expected in a third legendary. Kane is said to have divided his essence into one of the Sun Gods, and one of the Moon Goddess', so I thought they could have a fusion. Meanwhile Kanaloa is a Squid and a sea god which is what I expected Marshadow to be. Perhaps the Alolans consider the Marshadow, Gigareki, Solgaleo, and Lunala to be their ancestors, with Tepu Koko being a general term for the four. If Solgaleo and Lunala belong to a Quad then we could get sequels with the other two.

Years
  • This is great for the anime, now they can spend the whole of the next sequence on plot-lines involving seeking out G/S Balls and then not going anywhere with them.

Actually. Ever since I saw that strange souvenir and how it mentioned it was venerated as protector in some far off region I've had this concept in my head of those colossal titan like Pokemon that just tower above you. It seems fitting to me that the protector of an entire island would be tall and intimidating.
    Something like Shadow of the Colossus, except with Pokémon? I suppose you could have that, but who's going to kill Lillie to start the plot?

I dont think Solgaleo and Lunala are the legendaries of islands.
    It should be other legendaries.
    You could have them be legendaries of 'special,' or set-off islands that can't usually be entered, but generally speaking it does seem unlikely that these two would otherwise just be two of the four legendaries there.

Back