• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"It gets better after..."

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    Are there any games you've enjoyed but don't think they're fun until a certain part or after a certain amount of time? Are you the kind of person to stick through the slow parts of a game to get to the best parts, or do you have a certain threshold at which you cut your losses? Do you have any opinions on the "It gets better after x amount of time" argument as a whole?

Years
    • Online now
    I have a weird opposite answer for this. I hear many complaints about Xenoblade 1 and how it slows down from the mechon attack into either mines. But I actually enjoyed either mine a lot. Xord was my favorite villian.

As a recent example of the question, Kingdom Hearts little mermaid section is not good. They made a unique control scheme for that specific level and the boss gimmick expects that you mastered it. They also cut many battle mechanics and abilities for the sake of this control scheme.

I liked the game and I liked the little mermaid movie. Didn't equate to a fun level.

Years
    I slogged my way through FFXIV: A Realm Reborn because my friends kept insisting Heavensward was basically made with my personal tastes in mind. So far, they have been mostly correct. Thank god because I did not like ARR.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    ARR is fine you're all just mean----

FFXIV aside since I do actually have to say it anytime I try to coax someone into the game, even though I do like ARR... quite a few Tales games start off pretty slow. Vesperia is one of the most popular ones and it doesn't even really get fun until like 6+ hours in which is kind of an insane amount of time to wait. Another game I have to say "I promise it gets better" is also Outer Wilds which is my favourite game ever and I almost gave up on it in the first hour because I was so bad at controlling the flight lmao. I've told more than a few people to please stick with it even if the flight controls feel bad at the start because it's worth the frustration haha.

I'm generally pretty happy to stick with something once I've started and in the past I'd simply refuse to stop playing even if I wasn't having fun, but I've tried to stop doing that now. To pull Tales as an example again... I really wanted to like Tales of Arise even though all the pre-release info was screaming at me that I wouldn't like it. And I think I gave it a valid shot. I got all the party members before I decided "no, this isn't fun" and never picked the game up again. Unfortunately that took me like 40 hours of gameplay!!!! (Although to be fair I think many of those hours were me idling in a menu and doing Anything But Playing The Game because I didn't want to, so arguably it's more like 20 hours.) I am a masochist who wants to give it one more shot again, but arguably I gave it way longer than it deserved.

I think it's one thing to say "this game gets better after the prologue" or "this 60 hour game needs 6 hours of setup before it really takes off" but if someone has gotten to the point where they've interacted with the bulk of the systems within the game and they've invested more than a few hours into the game and they still aren't vibing with it, they have every right to give up in frustration. A game that takes hours and hours and hours of investment to be fun is a failure on the developer's part, not the player. And no one should feel obliged to give up their precious time to try to force enjoyment, even if there really is something great waiting after.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    I enjoyed all of Tales of the Abyss. I really did. Personally. However, it's not like I don't 'get' or 'understand' the complaints about it. Because I do.

Is Luke annoying? Yes. Yes he is. Extremely. At the start. That's kind of the point though. KEEP. PLAYING. I don't remember the specific area name (some kind of mining town) but play until the 'hair cutting' part. After that... it pretty much became the BEST TALES OF GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED (and still is up to this point. I'm not done with Arise but I doubt it'll change as I have SEVERAL problems with Arise and still do)

Back