• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

It was a dark and stormy night, and on MSN I was asked to be staff

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    You know, this thread makes me wonder. Has anyone ever been promoted, and then pulled out immediately? It seems like people just get promoted without a warrant, although I assume they pick people that have shown interest.

Lucid

I think I got Other Clubs first, I think, I got OC right after if so. A super mod I'd been friends with who isn't here anymore MSNed me:

"Wanna be a mod? XD"
    "K XD"

Majestic. I know. Then someone else left and I got OC/Treefuck, then Graphic Design cuz someone left that too. Then a couple of years went by and I got high and wondered off. You guys have better stories.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • You know, this thread makes me wonder. Has anyone ever been promoted, and then pulled out immediately? It seems like people just get promoted without a warrant, although I assume they pick people that have shown interest.
    You know, I'm not sure. For me, Astinus asked me to mod FF&W, and waited for my response before having an admin mod me. As for Morkula, he knew I had interest in becoming a super-moderator, and just went for it.

If I remember correctly, I believe someone was infracted for not being a moderator, and that's how they were asked, haha.

Years
  • Mine were pretty straightforward PMs basically saying "Hey, we were talking about X and how it needs Y. Would you like to mod it?"

Straightforward message subjects in hindsight, too:

"Pokémon TCG"

"Forum Games"

It's a boring story, though. No MSN or other group chat shenanigans. There was a Shenanigans involved, but only as the sender of the Forum Games PM, and I don't think he was Shenanigans at that point.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2015
    I was a moderator years ago at a site called PTCO. Pokemon Trading Cards Online. Then crap hit the fan and yeah... wasn't anymore.

I don't miss it, being a regular is easier.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When I was promoted to moderator, I came home from work one night to find that Careful With That Axe, Pichu had sent me a message on MSN saying that he had something to tell me. He said that PC's staff weren't happy with what I was doing as a member in Pokemon Fanfiction. I was nervous because I thought that staff had received complaints about me being too "tough" in my reviews. Instead, he said that I was going to become the moderator of that section. It took a while for me to calm down and realize that my name was indeed blue.

My promotion to super moderator happened in the early hours of the morning for my time zone. I was checking PC one last time before I went to bed (at four in the morning!) bobandbill sent me a VM asking me if I was going to be around for a while because he had something to tell me. So I told him that I would stick around a bit and just idled on the "Who's Online" list until I received the notification that he VM'd me. I checked out the VM, saw it was a Pastebin link, and checked it out with confusion. What it was was a story about me getting promoted to smod in a dream. It was a weird story but I loved it.

Sooo, all you have to do is be friends with hstaff in order to become one of them? Makes sense, actually.
    If you're talking about becoming a moderator, then you don't have to be friends with anyone on staff. We'll notice you no matter who you are. If you're talking about becoming smod or higher, it's just because PC's staff becomes a group of friends, so we all just know each other.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, promoted is probably not the right word, because I never was promoted to anything.

There was this forum I was pretty active on, that hosted a couple of websites, all of them gaming related. One was mostly dedicated to RPG-Maker games and in order for them to put more emphasis on organization and being up-to-date said website created a special user group (or website semi-staff or whatever you wanna call it) to help them achieve this.

Back then, while I was hanging out on one of their TS servers, someone mentioned that they were still looking for people to help, so after exchanging a couple of PMs I became a member of said user group. It was actually pretty cool, I basically managed the whole RPG-Maker game database all by myself, looked if someone wanted his game to be included, while also browsing the forum for other games that could be added to the database as well and tested those for a while, before adding them.
    Back when I started, the database actually lagged behind about half a year and I managed to update it in, like, a weekend {XD}

Sadly that only lasted about 2-2.5 years, because all the other people in that user group where just lazy slackers (and those who weren't had already left), which resulted in it getting disbanded. I was the only one who got to keep his privilege to change his usertitle at will, because I was the one who did all the work, though.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • If I remember correctly, I believe someone was infracted for not being a moderator, and that's how they were asked, haha.

You're almost right; back from my old Miss Doronjo account I got the lovely infraction:

Originally Posted by Abnegation
    Miss Doronjo, you've received an infraction here at the PokéCommunity Forums. This infraction isn't specific to a post, but may be the result of a signature/avatar/profile violation, something you posted in a social group or profile, or an image you've uploaded to PC. The exact reason for this infraction is shown below:

Reason: Contributing to a section

The staff member who issued the infraction has included the following message:

It has come to our attention that you have been quite active in the Video Games section. You have been contributing with a lot of posts and threads within it also, we seen that you were hosting events in tandem with this. This is something in which is likely to continue. Your punishment is as follows:

This infraction subjects you to moderate the Video Games section. You must maintain such activity and contribution to the section if you hope to remain on the PC staff. Further information about the staff boards can be found once you accept this plight and are officially subjected to the torment of being a PC moderator.

It's important that you read and understand the rules for posting here at PokéCommunity. A complete set of rules can be found in this thread, be sure to read and review them until you're clear on their meaning. If you have any questions, you're more than welcome to ask them in the Community Questions & Feedback forum.

Abnegation

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • All your responses are amazing haha.

Anyway, from my experience as a Terraria trading server admin... The admin folks probably have considered me as part of the staff ever since day 2 of the server opening haha.

So yeah, it was open server day, but when I entered it was supposed to be closed. However, for some odd reason I could enter without needing any passwords. I was like, "Hey, are you sure this server is closed 'cause I don't need any password to enter." There was another visitor lurking around after the server closed so we kinda chat first.

But then one of the admins whispered to me, telling me to tp to him. Because of that, I'm able to enter the bunker (where most of the items are kept), and I got to explore in it a bit. I learnt about the private vaults that serves as each of the admin's private rooms on the server as well, and then noticed the top-most room was kinda empty since the owner (aka one of the admins) never came back. I was just staring at it while the other admins strike up a conversation, and then the next thing I knew, the vault became mine and I got an tag next to my name.

And then I proceed to do the same to the other 2 new admins haha.

I haven't been on that trading server lately though, nor over on Steam. Terrible internet connection got in the way.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • The closest I ever got to being promoted online was becoming second-in-command at a Wakfu guild back when the game was full-French and in beta. It was pretty fun, me and the guld leader were the first two people in the guild and became big bosses as it grew rapidly :D I still keep in touch with him, 4 years later.

I've held plenty of responsibility positions offline though, even though I know I'm not a very good leader I'm a good organizer.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I think I got Other Clubs first, I think, I got OC right after if so. A super mod I'd been friends with who isn't here anymore MSNed me:

"Wanna be a mod? XD"
    "K XD"

Majestic. I know. Then someone else left and I got OC/Treefuck, then Graphic Design cuz someone left that too. Then a couple of years went by and I got high and wondered off. You guys have better stories.
    And this is PC

YOU GUYS
    TAKE NOTES
    THIS IS DANK SHIT

Years
  • Regarding my promotion to mod for FF&W, Astinus had PM'd me asking for my feedback for an idea. Well, at least that's what the title suggested. I thought it was cool since a super moderator actually wanted my feedback for a section I was a regular of. The message started off talking about how this is an idea to boost activity in the section and whatnot. I opened the spoiler tag expecting to see details, but instead, I saw my name in bold blue. I started freaking out. After seeing the section go a few months without a moderator, I couldn't believe that they had picked me to run it.

My promotion to super-moderator was a bit more terrifying interesting. Morkula texted me to get on Skype immediately after work, as there was something we needed to discuss. I logged on to Skype and asked if there was something wrong. He said to look at PC and see if there was anything different. I logged on, saw my bold blue name like usual, and scrolled to the bottom of the page to start looking at the users. I saw Klippy's orange name, and said Klippy was orange. Morkula responded all excited like and said that I was a close candidate as well. I said that it was a well deserved promotion and we eventually got to a discussion on why I wasn't picked. He made me feel like I was getting fired, haha:
    Spoiler:

Haha, yours is the most funniest I've seen lol.

Years
  • Pretty much all mine have been foisted on me, with the exception of my modship. That right there was boring compared to some stories. The gist of it through PMs:

"Hey, wanna mod this forum?"
    "Yeah sure."

And boom. There was a bit more to it I'm sure, but I ended up deleting older PMs at one point a few years ago and I can't be bothered to go look through the text file I saved of them all.

When I say everything else was foisted on me...well. If only you had seen my reaction to originally getting s-mod, because that one did come to me entirely out of the blue. Was just doing some mod stuff like normal (I think it was locking a thread), looked down at the bottom of the page at my name after I was done, and...it took a moment to realize that my name had changed color and wait I'm orange now omfg what hyperventilate ahhhh. No forewarning beforehand, let's just give her a heart attack haha.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    After getting home from a grocery store one day, if memory serves right, I had turned on my computer and loaded PC, and noticed around five to six messages left on my profile (considering how much this seemed to have been at the time, it was kind of a surprise), with one of them being this:

Ausaudriel said:
    hopefully you actually wanted to be a mod hahaha

I just modded you thinking they already asked you, but apparently they didn't

so

congrats? 8) if you don't want the position just let me know and I'll take it off hahah

Haha.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I honestly don't even remember the series of events of my moddness.. I think the Admins told me to check something on PC and I did and I was like "Awesome! Bold name! Yay!"
    Vague memories ;o;

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • When I was modded, Went VMed me and then randomly asked if we could take our conversation to private message. I got kind of scared, cause I thought I might be in trouble for something or whatever. Anyway, he asked me how my Labor Day was and I said it was good, but I was bored. Then he said, "Okay, well you can go mod Pokemon Gaming Central, Metal/Color Generation, Advance Generation, and Spin Offs so you're not bored. :)" And theeeeen...I went outside to run around my house.

For my promotion to smod, I was just chilling out a year ago tonight...probably around this very time, and some fool called Abnegation facetimed me and said, "notice anything?" and I refreshed PC to find my green name had been replaced with orange. I started crying because I am a loser. I'm pretty sure he laughed at me.

Back