• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Itistheriz's Fakemon

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I would love to hear some positive comments for once.
    This isn't the place for me. Gol's comments are really negative, coming from someone who's made a few splices and has a terrible looking monkey fakemon and gastly ripoffs.

I'm sick of this. This community is awful.
    The exit is to your left. =3 If you want to leave, leave. If not, get over it.

Despite that you will think I'm rude, I'll give you some criticism, especially considering I don't care. ^^ But don't expect that you'll see anything positive from me because you won't.

I'll start off by saying I do not think your concepts are all that good. Most of these sprites don't really seem like Pokémon. Not only that, but it doesn't look like you made an attempt to make them look like Pokémon either. The colors are terrible, especially the shading. There are way too many colors in a lot of your sprites.

For my own sake, I'm going to take all of your sprites, put them in a grid and number them for convenience. So you know which one I'm talking about, of course.

FakePokmonGrid.png

Before I go with one-on-one sprite attention, I have to say that all of your sprites have mostly the same flaws. They have little to no black outline, too many colors, odd shading, a crapload of dithering, and their palettes are much too dark. Pokémon sprites have a lot of black outline, very few colors (usually), shading that only comes from the top left, little dithering, and brighter palettes.

Now, to be more specific.

Sprite #1. . Oh boy, where do I start? How about with the color palette choice? The colors are too dark and there seems to be no organized way that you decided to shade it. Pokémon sprites don't have all that much shading to make them seem more anime-esque like they're supposed to be, whereas your sprite looks cartoony. Or worse than cartoony, really. Since you're going for the official style, supposedly, you should stick with simplistic shading. Black outline is a must, especially around the bottom left of the sprite. But the black outlines you did are in the oddest of places, like where the horns meet the head and the top of the back.

Sprite #3, oh dear, oh dear. This one is simply horrific. I don't know whether I should start at the shading or at the concept. I think I'll go with the shading. Why are the spots around the legs left unshaded? And why is there a shaded line in the middle of its chest? There are also no indication of toes whatsoever. The horns are terribly shaded. The outsides of them are shaded yet the insides have nothing? Just look at Tauros's horns or Houndoom's horns. Their shading comes from the middle, not the outside. The outside of the horns should be used for highlighting. Now for the concept. . I only have this to say: Dear God, what is it?

Sprite #6 is that a tongue coming out of its mouth? Or is that the inside of the mouth? And the claws shouldn't be colored in black. If the claws are meant to be black, go a couple of shades lighter than just straight-up black. Same goes for the pattern on its stomach. Also, you were a bit too close to the default MS Paint colors.

Sprite #17's chest outline is all wrong. You made it a shade lighter than the color of its actual chest. No. Bad. And I don't even know what's going on with the tail feathers. I can't tell where the shading is coming from. The light source is coming from the top left, not the bottom.

Sprite #49 has a very, very flat face. You can't even decipher where the snout is coming from. And the way you added the fluff to the tail makes the tail look very tattered and frayed. One more thing: the right ear should be smaller than the left ear.

Sprites #57+58 aren't really all that bad. But the colors you used are awful. I don't care if you got them from GameFreak's actual sprites or not, this was a bad choice on your part to use that palette. It doesn't go with this Pokémon at all.

Sprite #94 shouldn't have highlights all the way near the bottom and shouldn't have any highlights on the right unless it's in the face where the light actually shines. And, again, too much dithering.

Sprite #116, that tongue is terrible. It looks like you added random pixels and hoped no one would notice. If you want to, you can look at Lickitung's backsprite to get an idea of how you can fix that.

For my final thoughts: You need to observe the actual animal you're basing your Pokémon off of, whether it's from a picture or from real life. Make sure you know the anatomy of the creature before you try to sprite it or else it'll wind up looking like Sprite #56. Also, enough with the dithering. You know how to do it; we get it. I'd also suggest you look at actual Pokémon sprites and try to go from there. Practice where you need to put black outline (which is around the bottom right on any part of the Pokémon, normally) and remember that the light source comes from the top left in Pokémon sprites.

If you want me to talk about more of your sprites and how you can improve them, I'll be happy to oblige. Just don't nerdrage if you don't like what I say.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2011
    Thanks for the criticism. I'm actually taking note of what you guys are saying. These are not completely finished by no means, and like I said in my first post, I'm gonna completely redo the starters which seem to be getting the most hate. I understand they need a ton of work, but they were the first ones I started on.

Check these guys out for instance, my Tiki Ghost pokemon:

Tikitap and Tiktonic (Ground/Ghost)

tikis.png

I've kept more of the black outline like you guys said. The shades are not just lighter or darker shades of one color, but rather different hues. The max colors in the second one add up to 9, including the transparent color. The only dithering used was for the ghost effect around the hands, similar to ghastly or haunter, and a really small bit on the right side of the base to blend in the roundness.

Are these improvements or should I add more to them?

I'm just finishing my dex first, then I'll touch up all the sprites. I really don't use that much dithering, there's only like 5 pokemon I've used it in, I think I just need to actually eliminate some colors to make them more simple. Case in point, my cardinal pokemon.

Last edited:

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Since you seem to be nice (or less-frustrated, I should say) I will dare critique again! Tikitonic is excellent! Right now, I don't see anything wrong with it. Tikitap is pretty good too, except the top is kinda un-round and to me makes it look sorta flat. Just my opinion, of course! Keep spriting!

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    These are much, much better than your previous endeavors! Great job! =3

I do think you went a bit overboard with the dithering on with the purple color, however. I also think, but this is just my opinion, Tikitap would look better if the top was a bit flatter. Yes? No? Maybe? But you did an excellent job with these two.​

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Those guys are neat! They look a lot like pokemon I won't be surprised if they're in a game.

I noticed a few things though. Creeplode's front sprite seems to have different light sources (one from the top-left, and another that seems to be from the top-right), so you might want to fix that. Also, Creepuff's back sprite's shading needs to be rounder to look realistic.

Overall, this looks great, and you're improving. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2011
    Eglyph and Kondoran: (Flying/Normal, Flying/Fight)
    00001.png

Protective Bird Pokemon

Glooma, Cajunka, Morfoul: (Bug/Dark)
    00002.png

Glue Bug Pokemon (2nd stage picks up rocks and gravel as cacoon)

Mapwala and Bambala: (Grass, Grass/Fight)
    00003.png

Kaola Pokemon

Last edited:

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Grapini and Limoni are adorable! It's a shame they don't evolve. T^T

One thing that stands out to me is that Grapini is too reminiscent of Cherubi. You might want to edit it more to avoid that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2011
    9 new ones:
    00004.png

Bipomask/Maximask, Charjelly/Medushock, Antaste/Anthreat, Frillava/Blazard, Fakima

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Number 71, the frog is fantastic. The shading, pallet and lineart is great. The fire could be slighly improved by changing it's positoion and making it less sharp and more of a defined blob. Your spriting is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

Back