• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Well, Haruhi and Lucky Star are basically cultural cornerstones, both for anime and otaku culture. They resulted in a ton of trends and the creation of various tropes (for better or for worse), but at the very least they're influential.

I can't quite vouch for their quality though since it's been at least 10 years since I've seen either of them, so I won't really say anything in defense of them.

But I know the feeling. It's why I generally don't put any particularly special priority on things that I know thanks to their popularity. There's no guarantee that I'll like them and even if there is the chance, knowing that they're of x popularity really sets up expectations that I'm not sure it will meet or subconsciously don't want it to.

Though in the case of NGNL and Mirai Nikki, I can definitely say the disdain came from a purely critical place. I think that's when I go from not really liking a show to actually having true negative feelings for a show, especially if the fans perpetuate it.

pkmin3033

...ah yes, trend-setters. This ridiculous idea that a show that starts a trend is the pinnacle of quality and cannot possibly be surpassed by anything that follows on from it that shares similarities to it and/or builds on the theme. Sometimes I forget these things are universal to media and not just confined to video gaming. Probably because I've never really followed genres or studios or writers or anything with anime - I just watch whatever looks appealing. I don't really care if another show did it first, or did it better: I judge things on their individul merit, and I don't really give a damn if they inspire other shows with similar premises.

I'm completely ignorant to the culture of anime as a media (even if I'm not igorant of the culture within anime; as in, these Japanese things you won't find in Western media that are derived from the cultural differences) so I suppose that's partly why I can't really appreciate these shows for the effect they had either. I suppose if I had watched them at the time of their airing I might feel differently. That said, it was years after Ghost in the Shell was released that I watched it, and I loved that.

Honestly, for me personally, it's just not relevant to the quality of a show. I didn't even know Dragon Maid was popular until I was halfway through it, and when I found out I...didn't really care. xD

Last edited:
    Years
    It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

>i'm not hugely keen on moeblobs

To be fair though, as a gute girls show I don't overly rate Lucky Star. It's fine but there are loads of better ones. Cool references though, yeah. https://youtu.be/wgmyVTVc-Yc?t=62

Also Legendary Girl A scenes were the best.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I'm thinking more in terms of art style than I am character-wise...there is something about Lucky Star's character designs that puts me off it. I don't think Kanna has a particularly moeblob look to her...at least, no more than you would expect, given that she's a kid.

Are the references etc. what make Lucky Star popular, then?

Years
    Cute girls, comedy, references, Kyoto Animation, and a few quite touching scenes. People generally like the character designs, I'm not overly keen but it does fit the content.

Oh right, the main character likes anime too. That's always popular.

pkmin3033

Fair enough, I guess? Honestly, when it comes to popular shows - and just in general - I wish people would say why they like the show, rather than try to defend it under the justification that it's popular and therefore must be good. Maybe I've just had too many bad experiences with overly touchy fandoms who like to crucify people who don't like what they do...

The whole anime-loving protagonist thing is hit-and-miss, I think. If they use it to subtly break the fourth wall every now and then, or make very self-aware comments at ridiculous situations, it can be quite funny if it's not overused. If they just like anime...meh, personally I don't think that's all that special. Doesn't make me relate to or like them any more than I otherwise might, anyway.

pkmin3033

I'll not deny I laughed pretty hard. Just...where did you even find that. xD

I didn't know Nagisa died, either...CLANNAD is darker than I thought. I thought it was a light and fluffy story...

Years
    I still haven't watched Lucky Star...it doesn't look all that appealing to me. I'm not hugely keen on moeblobs, I guess.

The art style definitely puts a number of people off.

That and the first couple of episodes are actually, well, pretty badly directed. Like got the director fired (or at least, re-assigned to a different role/project) bad.

It's not really just about moe, though. I remember watching it when I was younger and thinking that, for some reason, people like it because it's moe.

But hearing certain things made me realize that, apparently, it wasn't your average "cute girls doing cute things" show. Supposedly. I'd at least like to give it another shot and see if I can get what it's...point was, I guess.

Haruhi too, while I'm at it.

How far did you make it? The initial Lucky Star director got fired (or at least re-assigned) because the first couple of episodes were that badly directed, iirc.

It's basically a story about how one gets roped into anime/otaku culture with a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things type of cast. Konata is a pusher of anime and merch (at this point I am basically Konata).

Fair enough, I guess? Honestly, when it comes to popular shows - and just in general - I wish people would say why they like the show, rather than try to defend it under the justification that it's popular and therefore must be good. Maybe I've just had too many bad experiences with overly touchy fandoms who like to crucify people who don't like what they do...

The whole anime-loving protagonist thing is hit-and-miss, I think. If they use it to subtly break the fourth wall every now and then, or make very self-aware comments at ridiculous situations, it can be quite funny if it's not overused. If they just like anime...meh, personally I don't think that's all that special. Doesn't make me relate to or like them any more than I otherwise might, anyway.

Breaking the 4th wall isn't really done in Lucky Star (there may be a few subtle instances)... at least not that I can recall. I'd probably have to re-watch to confirm since it's legitimately been 8 years since I last saw it. I think it was more wink-wink, nudge-nudge types of references.

Some of it probably won't hold up to the test of time given that it probably does need some context of the era it was released in for at least some of the things it does.

I'll not deny I laughed pretty hard. Just...where did you even find that. xD

I didn't know Nagisa died, either...CLANNAD is darker than I thought. I thought it was a light and fluffy story...

CLANNAD and After Story are predominantly fluff, with CLANNAD providing most of it. After Story actually really delves into Tomoya and his issues in particular.

On an unrelated note:
    I also may have taken my next step further into the merch rabbit hole. I'm seriously considering getting some nesoberi plushes and have already bought a couple figures that Alter has made.

pkmin3033

...what the hell. Did Urobutcher write this show or something?

The art style definitely puts a number of people off.

That and the first couple of episodes are actually, well, pretty badly directed. Like got the director fired (or at least, re-assigned to a different role/project) bad.
    Well, that explains why I didn't get past the first episode when I tried to watch it...uh...four or five years ago? I can't remember. I just remember being bored and put off by the art style.

Breaking the 4th wall isn't really done in Lucky Star (there may be a few subtle instances)... at least not that I can recall. I'd probably have to re-watch to confirm since it's legitimately been 8 years since I last saw it. I think it was more wink-wink, nudge-nudge types of references.

Some of it probably won't hold up to the test of time given that it probably does need some context of the era it was released in for at least some of the things it does.
    So not quite breaking the fourth wall, but encouraging the audience to look through the cracks in it, perhaps. Sounds vaguely like Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's more subtle references to anime series, like the chalkboard messages, or occasional one-shots that mirrored more iconic moments.

CLANNAD and After Story are predominantly fluff, with CLANNAD providing most of it. After Story actually really delves into Tomoya and his issues in particular.
    That actually sounds better...but isn't After Story generally considered to be the poorer series, though? At least, when I was recommended CLANNAD, I was told to avoid After Story like the plague. I've actually given thought to picking up the VN when it's been on sale on Steam, to see if the added depth that comes from the format makes it any more appealing...

Years
    Personally, I didn't really mind the first few episodes of Lucky Star, but i don't think I had any expectations and I have a very high tolerance for slow pacing in a story that doesn't have any action.

Also, yeah, After Story is generally considered superior among people who've watched the whole series. But even that's still like 60% fluffy before it takes a hard turn into "you're gonna cry like a little bitch if you got attached to this cast" territory. It's not like there's no foreshadowing, though.

pkmin3033

Well, the person who told me to avoid After Story also told me to watch Madoka, so...still, I'd need to get through the first series to watch the second, and I don't think I could tolerate it. xD

That said, I've developed a taste for romance anime over the last couple of years. I think I prefer romantic comedies - Nisekoi was great and I want a season three adapting the rest of the manga now, please - but it's not as cringeworthy as I thought it was...mostly.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back