• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

James Carter Cathcart retiring from script adapting and voice dubbing for Pokémon USA

Years
  • James Carter Cathcart the English Voice Actor of Several Pokémon Characters has decided to retire from script adapting and voice dubbing for Pokémon USA, effective at the conclusion of Season 25 due to being diagnosed with cancer.

He has been with the series since the 1st episode, so it is a timely decision as the series transitions to new characters and story lines.

The news broke on his page here:

https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamescartercathcart

In other news, Jimmy has decided to retire from script adapting and voice dubbing for Pokémon USA, effective at the conclusion of Season 25. He has been with the series since the 1st episode, so it is a timely decision as the series transitions to new characters and story lines. I (Martha) have likewise, decided to resign from my position as Associate Dean for the Brainspotting Concentration in Behavioural Health at International University for Graduate Studies, effective April 30, 2023 in order to be able to give better support to Jimmy through this season of life. I'll be continuing my psychotherapy practice and other consulting and teaching responsibilities as we venture further on this journey together.

So due to this, do you guys think the English dub will face a delay?

Years
  • Horrible news. :( I can see this causing a delay, understand if it happens it may be a bummer to people since the English dub is already so far behind Japan (like 5-6 months?) but it's completely understandable. I hope the more aggressive treatments can be successful for him.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Um... what?

How exactly does one person's departure mean there's going to be a delay? I get he's been there since the beginning and all of that and it's sad and all and I do obviously hope he can do what he has to do for his cancer treatment and gets well... but... I just don't get how that means there's going to be delay. Besides... with a hard reboot now officially upon us... something like this only makes sense.

It's like the old sports saying/adage/whatever you want to call it... one player doesn't make a team (yes that includes you Jets fans now with Aaron Rodgers as your new QB).

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    Back when the anime first started airing, the Dubbed version was roughly a year behind the original from japan...

Back