• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] Janp's Genlocke Adventures - Sinnoh

Years
  • The Genlocke Challenge - Sinnoh

Last year, I started posting my Genlocke run. I finished Kanto and posted about it. Then I stopped posting, because I wasn't really motivated to do so. And in the meantime, I was able to not only beat Sinnoh, but also Johto part. I'm currently chilling in Unova.

Now, I have to be completely honest. I did made some posts for my Sinnoh run, but never posted them. Until now. I'll try to write my memories about the run again. Hopefully, this time it will work better.

But first, what is Genlocke about? It's regular Nuzlocke. Well, Hardcore Nuzlocke in my case. But after finishing one region, I'll breed my HoF team and send their offsprings to the next region. This also means that if I wipe somewhere, I have to start from Kanto again.

I'll do regions in following order:
    Kanto - Sinnoh - Johto - Unova - Kalos - Hoenn - Alola

Rules

1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead and must be released (or permanently put in PC).
    2. I can only catch the first wild Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first wild Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
    3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed.
    4. The region is completed, when I first see credits roll.
    5. Starter Pokémon must be randomly chosen. If the last digit of the player's Trainer ID number is 1-3, I must choose the Grass-type starter; if it is 4-6, the Fire-type starter; if it is 7-9, the Water-type starter; if it is 0, it's re-roll.
    6. A black out is considered as game over.
    7. I have to play with SET battle style.
    8. Each Gym battle has a level cap - the level of the last Pokémon of each Gym Leader. For E4 and Champion, I'll go with the last Pokémon of the Champion, but I'll put a softlock on how much I'll grind each Pokémon for the Elite Four.
    9. I can't use healing items in battle.

With that, let's continue on with this crazy adventure!

Years
  • The Genlocke Challenge in Pokémon Platinum

Janp's Genlocke Adventures - Sinnoh

UPDATE 1

As I said in the first post, most of this update was written in May. And then I added some notes in November. It's already February. Make out of it what you need.

After a short adventure on Sevii Islands to get all the eggs, I could finally start another part of this Genlocke. I picked Sinnoh because I think it will allow me use Kanto Pokémon, that I wouldn't have access otherwise, in Sinnoh and then use Sinnoh Pokémon, that I wouldn't have access otherwise, in Johto in the next part.

The hardest part of the Nuzlocke - picking up new nicknaming theme. I'll name offsprings of the previous team the same as their parents, but add "2". For the new Pokémon, I'll use names of Cthulhu Mythos deities.

My ID's last number was 3, so that meant I'll have to pick Turtwig as my starter. I think that's cool starter, but I fear I'll really feel the lack of Fire-types in Sinnoh. I think I'll have to box either Shikoku 2 or maybe Tenerife 2, because I would like to use few new Pokémon right away.

I easily beat my Rival's Chimchar.

I didn't really change my team at this point, I just caught some regular encounters, but nothing that would force me to switch out my teach. I got to Roark and since Oahu 2 knows Ice Beam, this Gym Battle isn't really something to write home about.

Now, I have to confess something. I started this run in May, but got somewhat burned out of Pokémon games and didn't really return to this run until now. Now, it's almost November and I'm back on this. I don't remember what happened, but my last save was from July and I was just about to beat Gardenia. Like, I was literally thrown in the final turn of the fight. My whole team is in red HP, Leyte 2 is out against Gardenia's Roserade. Roserade still has plenty of HP, but is confused. It hit itself and I finished the job with Leyte 2's Confusion. I have no recollection of how this fight went or who I caught between Roark and Gardenia. It seems no deaths occured so far. So, let's end this update here and start anew next time.

Team

Hydra, Lonely Male Grotle
    lvl 20, Overgrow
    - Razor Leaf
    - Curse
    - Withdraw
    - Tackle

Oahu 2, Relaxed Male Wartortle
    lvl 20, Torrent
    - Water Gun
    - Ice Beam
    - Bite
    - Withdraw

Maui 2, Hasty Female Pidgeotto
    lvl 20, Tangled Feet
    - Gust
    - Sand-Attack
    - Tackle
    - Quick Attack

Leyte 2, Docile Male Venonat
    lvl 20, Compound Eyes
    - Confusion
    - Tackle
    - Disable
    - Supersonic

Luzon 2, Hasty Female Kadabra
    lvl 21, Synchronize
    - Confusion
    - Teleport
    - Disable

Bokrug, Adamant Male Luxio
    lvl 20, Intimidate
    - Tackle
    - Bite
    - Charge
    - Spark​

Years

UPDATE 2

Why am I so bad at posting my finished updates? I had this one written for ages, it was just waiting for the actual posting...

Warning, this will be pretty boring update, because no fight proved to be a challenge.

I easily cleared Team Galactic's building, got an Egg, which I have no intention in hatching and went on with my journey.

I skipped Route 206 encounter for now and got to Mt. Coronet. My encouner there was Nosepass that I called Olkoth. And I got Ulvash the Ralts on Route 208.

The battle with Fantina was surprisingly easy. I had 3 Pokémon with Bite, so I just went with them and bite Fantina down.

I got Yidhra the Roselia on Route 209. And Groth the Ponyta on Route 210. And Aletheia the Marill on Route 215.

Nothing to say about Maylene fight except - Luzon 2. Yeah, Maylene had no chance. My Route 214 encounter was Rhyhorn, but I killed it. I skipped my other encounters around here, because I was leaving them for surf/better rods.

I got to Pastoria for another straightforward fight. I had two massive units to deal with Crasher Wake's team, but I was afraid of Floatzel's Ice Fang, so I set up enough Curse to withstand it. And it payed off.

Now, my least favourite part of the game follows, so I'll keep it for another update.

Team

Hydra, Lonely Male Torterra
    lvl 36, Overgrow
    - Razor Leaf
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Leech Seed

Oahu 2, Relaxed Male Wartortle
    lvl 35, Torrent
    - Water Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Bite
    - Withdraw

Maui 2, Hasty Female Pidgeotto
    lvl 35, Tangled Feet
    - Gust
    - Sand-Attack
    - FeatherDance
    - Quick Attack

Leyte 2, Docile Male Venomoth
    lvl 35, Compound Eyes
    - Gust
    - Psybeam
    - Sleep Powder
    - Supersonic

Luzon 2, Hasty Female Alakazam
    lvl 35, Synchronize
    - Psybeam
    - Recover
    - Disable
    - Reflect

Bokrug, Adamant Male Luxray
    lvl 36, Intimidate
    - Tackle
    - Bite
    - Swagger
    - Spark​

Years

UPDATE 3

Continuing on, I quickly got through the most boring part of the game - fog routes. So,let's fastforward to Celestic Town and Cyrus encounter. I underestimated him, did some stupid plays (like leading with Torterra) and almost lost Hydra, Bokrug and Luzon 2 because of this. I think this was the first time in this run, where I was afraid of wiping. I ended the fight with everyone in red HP and was glad it was over. And this is the easiest Cyrus fight in the game. I'll have to up my game for our next encounter.

Barry's battle in Canalave City was breeze in comparison. I had strong counter against all of his Pokémon. This was also the time I noticed I wasn't really using Leyte 2. But looking at my box, I couldn't really find a good replacement at the time, so I kept Leyte 2 on my team.

Not that I would need any new Pokémon to beat Byron. My duo of Hydra and Oahu 2 easily took him down.

After clearing up Galactic mess, I went to snowy part of the region and got some sweet encounters. I did some thinking and decided to switch my team a little bit against Candice. I boxed Leyte 2 and put newly caught Uvhash the Sneasel on my team (which ended up being permanent change) and put away Maui 2 for Ponyta, which I forget the nickname of, that I used against Candice. I grinded Ponyta, while forgetting to grind Sneasel and challenged Candice.

The battle with Candice was not quite what I expected. Even grinded up, Ponyta had poor moves and could barely take down Candice's Pokémon. By the time Froslass cane out, I had to switch it out. But to whom? Froslass' Blizzard could tske out all my Pokémon easily, plus she was faster and had Shadow Ball. After some thoughts and calculations, I sent out level 33 Sneasel. Yes, my underleveled Pokémon. And it worked wonders. Froslass couldn't really hurt Sneasel, while he was slowly chipping away her HP.

After this, I decided to keep Sneasel on team and put Ponyta back to the box. Not for long, I actually brought her back for another Team Galactic segment, where it helped with Cyrus' Weavile.

One thing I hate about this part of the game is how many HMs it require to get past it. I had to box one of my Pokémon and put Bibarel on my team as HM slave, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to cross Mt. Coronet. Which also meant I had to face Cyrus for the final time with weaker team. Nonetheless, I beat him easily. I already knew what he will bring out and this time, so I was prepared for it.

And with that, I was getting to the endgame. The final badge awaited me and with Hydra on the team, there was no way for me to lose there.

After some more encounters I got to E4. Before challenging them, I had to put together my final team. My current plan is: Throughout the whole game, I didn't find time to evolve Sneasel, so I'll do that, because I want to use it here and in Johto. I decided to put Ponyta to the box and bring back Maui 2. I have to get her offsprings to Alola after all. I'll also scattered around Sinnoh and get some useful items.

And with that done, I'll be ready for the final battles...

Team

lvl 50, Overgrow
    - Razor Leaf
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Leech Seed

Oahu 2, Relaxed Male Blastoise
    lvl 50, Torrent
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Bite
    - Withdraw

Maui 2, Hasty Female Pidgeot
    lvl 40, Tangled Feet
    - Fly
    - Sand-Attack
    - FeatherDance
    - Quick Attack

Luzon 2, Hasty Female Alakazam
    lvl 48, Synchronize
    - Psychic
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind
    - Reflect

Bokrug, Adamant Male Luxray
    lvl 50, Intimidate
    - Spark
    - Crunch
    - Swagger
    - Tackle

Uvhash, Impish Female Sneasel
    lvl 48, Keen Eye
    - Faint Attack
    - Metal Claw
    - Avalanche
    - Icy Wind​

Last edited:
    Years

FINAL UPDATE

With my team ready, I started the final battle with Barry. Everything went fine. A pleasant surprise. I was overleveled after all.

Battles with Aaron, Bertha and Flint were okay. I had to stop and think about some situations and moves, like when Aaron's Scizor cornered me with no safe switch and Maui 2 out. Flint had some awful luck and poisoned or burned my whole team.

But it's nothing against Lucian. Who the hell is this guy anyway? No story, no personality, just death. Somehow, Palpatine returned I got to this situation.

And the outcome wasn't really that great. For some reason I thought sending out Maui 2 was a great idea. Literally died the second she entered the battle. And she wasn't alone. Lucian is a monster. What now? I failed to bring Maui's descendants to Alola. There is no point in continuing with this challenge. Well, at least I can bring her friends to Alola!

I was afraid I would wipe on Cynthia with just 4 Pokémon. But I've quickly dispatched her Garchomp and then used Luzon 2 to cut most of her team in half. But I feared Cynthia's Milotic, since Luzon 2 got to red HP by that time, and switched around, slowly getting rest of my team down to red HP as well. I don't recall how I beat her in the end, but I remember all of my Pokémon helped with getting Milotic down.

And with that done, I finished another part of my Genlocke. Here's Hall of Fame:

I bred rest of my team and sent new eggs to Johto...

Team

lvl 59, Overgrow @Miracle Seed
    - Razor Leaf
    - Curse
    - Earthquake
    - Leech Seed

Oahu 2, Relaxed Male Blastoise
    lvl 60, Torrent @Mystic Water
    - Surf