• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kanto - Lapras

Years
  • Lapras was given to you in Kanto games when you get to a specific area in Silph Co. building.

What did you do with yours? Did you use it on your team? Box it? Or maybe it became the Pokémon you used for Surf (and/or other water HMs)?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever used Lapras, not even for HMs. Psyduck of all things can learn one more HM and can be obtained as soon as you get the Super Rod, and I'd rather use Cloyster if I want a Water/Ice Pokemon. If I ever do an Ice monotype in Kanto, I'll probably use Lapras in my team, but otherwise it's not a Pokemon I'm all that interested in using.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Probably boxed it in the very first playthrough. Would have already had Blastoise.

In the most recent playthrough of Kanto: box. Wanted to use it as a Pokemon that learned Ice moves by level-up. Had terrible Individual Values, though (48 total, including a 4 in Special Attack). Figured it would not fare that well versus the Elite Four, given the restrictions at the time.

Years
    • Seen today
    I never did anything with that specific Lapras. Only had a Lapras in one of my teams, but that was in Heart Gold.

Years
  • I love Lapras' design, but in those days I tended to blast my way through with my starter Pokemon, and occasionally one or two others.

Due to the grindy nature of earlier games, I wasn't inclined to add new team members that late in the game (5-6 badges in), so I've never used the Lapras in my main adventure. A shame, really - it's such a solid Pokemon!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Definitely not the first playthroughs, but after that I don't remember, so maybe I never did. Used it more in the Johto games, since you can get it a little earlier and it can be pretty useful.

Years
    • Seen today
    It comes too late. Also at level 25 if I'm not mistaken.

Echoing the above statement that it comes earlier in Johto and helps against the champion fight.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It just comes too late and you get it at level 15. It's also in the slow leveling group so it would take a long time to get it to an appropriate level to be useful.

Years
  • I know I didn't use it in my first playthrougth of Yellow. It came was too late ans I already had a Water-type Pokémon in Blastoise. But I remember using it few times. It was a pain to grind it up, but it was worth it. Lapras is a great Pokémon.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I recently did a water- monotype playthrough of FRLG. Despite my liking the design, Lapras was the 2nd least useful team member. Blastoise, Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Slowbro were all much more useful. Tentacruel was probably worse, but Lapras just wasn't that useful. I'm sorry to disappoint any Lapras fans.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I don't think I've ever been too interested in Pokemon without evolution chains, and I'm almost certain no team I've drafted up has included Lapras because of that. It definitely went to the box. I've started to use a lot of Pokemon I wouldn't usually be interested in, so if I end up going back to Kanto I might use it, because I'm sure I'd find good use for it.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • When it comes to the gift Lapras at the company, I almost never use it. I feel like it's too much at that point of the game because it arrives just in time for the Fire and Ground gyms and I dislike how it's just given to the player without the need to catch it.

I prefer how it is in Gen2. You have to get it only on a specific day, then search to the bottom of the cave (and it means if you're doing a nuzlocke you better pack repels first time you're in the cave if you want Lapras!) and then you also need Surf, and then you actually do battle Lapras in order to try to catch it. It's much more satisfying there and I prefer that.

I have only taken the gift Lapras for the company once, and that was in a very recent playthrough where it somehow ended up being my first Water mon.

Altogether, Lapras is a mon I only grew to like in recent times, and I mean like literally only 1 to 2 years ago. Which also explains a bit.

Back