• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's talk about the 4 Alolan Islands

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
Years
  • The Alola Region is based on the Hawaiian Archipelago consisting on many different islands. In Pokemon Sun and Moon, 4 islands are said to be what the player will discover and journey to. One of these islands is Melemele Island.

Before anything else, Sun and Moon is somewhat sort of Pokemon's 20th Anniversary treat, a memoir for the very first games of Pokemon which are Yellow, Green, Blue and Red. So what now?

My speculation is that each island of Alola represents each one of those core games, celebrating Pokemon's first appearances. My proof here is that "melemele" means "yellow" in English. Also, I had another thing coming which may clarify this theory, Tapu Koko is the deity Pokemon that protects Melemele Island, and he is an Electric/Fairy type.

The point is, the Electric-type resembles yellow or "melemele". This theory leads us to the three other islands being 'Ula'ula Island (Red Island), Polu Island (Blue Island) and 'Oma'oma'o Island (Green Island) each having a Pokemon with the typing of Fire/Fairy, Water/Fairy and Grass/Fairy.

What do you think? Does my Alolan structure speculation make sense? Lemme hear your voice people! :):):)

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I'm so sry to say this, but in the Site of Pokémon Sun and Moon news, GF revealed another island, the Akala Island (I think it translates to pink)

Spoiler:

Do you remember Oricorio's different forms? See, we have a Pink form, and an Yellow form, we also have a red one and a Blue/Purple one, so I think the other islands's names would be these colors!

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • I'm so sry to say this, but in the Site of Pokémon Sun and Moon news, GF revealed another island, the Akala Island (I think it translates to pink)

Spoiler:

Do you remember Oricorio's different forms? See, we have a Pink form, and an Yellow form, we also have a red one and a Blue/Purple one, so I think the other islands's names would be these colors!

Thanks for the info. {:3}

I've checked on that and it is confirmed. So sad, my well-written theory seems to be wrong. Haha!
    So, basing it now on Oricorio's different styles, the remaining islands' names could possibly be Polu Island and Ula'ula Island.

So, since this is confirmed, wouldn't it be fun to know what the basis are for these island names? :)
    What do you think? And what could possibly be the relations of these islands to the whole game?

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Re-doing my post here but...

I'd rather not have this region have more Kanto references than it has already in regards to the Alola forms. Alola should just focus on being its own unique region, etc.

I completely agree with you. Even though it's Pokémon's 20th Anniversary, the references should not focus ONLY on Kanto. It should focus in all previous generation, WITHOUT taking the essence of Alola.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    What if Oricorio has other forms than the main 4 revealed ? I don't think they revealed all the forms for Furfrou once they first shown him.

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • Alola for me is a very special region, and what captivates me the most is the island hopping. I want to know SO MUCH more of these islands.

I have read that most of Alola's Pokemon evolve differently in each island, making it look like that each island has a mystical magic or special, or something. Magical islands that affect evolution would be awesome! Don't you guys think?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm really intrigued to find out more about the islands, it definitely seems like each one is unique with some sort of hidden meaning behind it. I love how each Oricorio form is different depending on the island you find it on, that's something that really separates the islands from one another. I hope we get to see more Pokemon like this!

I think the island colours are Pink, Purple, Red, and Yellow iirc?

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • I'm really intrigued to find out more about the islands, it definitely seems like each one is unique with some sort of hidden meaning behind it. I love how each Oricorio form is different depending on the island you find it on, that's something that really separates the islands from one another. I hope we get to see more Pokemon like this!

I know right! Each island must be special and different from one another because in the whole Pokemon Industry, we've never had places which changes a Pokemon's typing and appearance. Other than the Z-Moves, Synchro Evolutions and Alola Forms, I'd be very willing to find out more about the region itself. {:3}

I'm not quite sure how I would feel about different evolutions for each island. Part of me wants to believe that sounds absolutely amazing, the other part of me wants to just believe that it probably isn't really the case at all; but I'll admit that since we aren't aware of all of the Pokemon yet, there can very well be a few that aren't revealed that may have a different evolution depending on the island that you're on.

Sorry for double posting. {XD}
    I see your point, but its still awesome if Pokemon evolution varies in type and appearance in each island right? I just like geography, and I would love to visit Hawaii, and Pokemon gave me that chance. :)

What do you think?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I believe Furfrou only got some of his forms revealed, I know the 3 basic ones did. But I don't think they revealed all of them before the game came out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    We must also remember, a somewhat credible leak suggests that there are 4 other islands post-game, that aren't shown on the artist-drawn map.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I'm curious about the artificial island. Is it a post game facility? Is it the place were you'll have your endgame showdown (whatever replaces the E4)?

Years
  • I mean, I think it'd be personally very interesting for a different evolution for each island and I'd be for it if we have more Pokemon like it; or even Oricorio who's forms differ on each island.

If I remember, the protagonist's bag has a charm on it which I saw in a Japanese trailer and there were four sections, which matches all the Oricorio forms' colors - red, yellow, pink and purple.

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • So supposedly, there are 4 confirmed Alolan Islands, which we speculate to be Ula'ula Island, Polu Island, Melemele Island and Akala Island, and there's this 4 post-game islands, with a total of 8 islands, plus the artificial and big island, giving us the total of 10.

About the evolution, how do you think does island evolution work? My theory is that island evolution is caused by the island deities or "tapus" which Tapu Koko is a member. What do you think?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Akala translated to pink in Hawaiian, but indirectly red.

A Hawaiian shrub or climber, Rubus macraei, bearing a large, red, edible raspberry.

Even though it is a plant, it still indirectly means red.

I also want to repost this from what I think.

If we are indeed going to be exploring the Rainbow Prophecy, I think the island that wasn't used is underwater and it might resurface after the main game.

I also believe Island F and C will be post game. Also, forgive me for not positioning Island C correctly on the Hawaiian side of the map. That was a first week thing and I though the islands were combined until I looked into it more a week or two after I made it.

Melemele Island = Real Yellow Island in Hawaii.
    Akala Island = Pink Island in Hawaii.

This could indicate that they are indeed using all 8 islands from hawaii, but 4 are for after the game.

This is my prediction on that.

A = Melemele Island (Yellow)
    B = Akala Island (Pink)
    C = Alani Island (Orange)
    D = Ulaula Island (Red)
    E = Poni Island (Purple)
    F = Keokeo Island (White)
    G = Ahinahina Island (Grey)
    H = Omaomao Island (Green) (Island Missing from Alola. Possibly Underwater)

Blue is the only missing from the original four. This could be changed to replace one of the other colors. But it also could be a 9th Island. If the credible leak says there are 4 not in the original art, that leaves us with possible other islands.

If we have a 9th Island, It would be called Polu Island.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Good research there Icy, especially now that I've noticed how accurate they got with the region map in regards to the actual Hawaiian islands.

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • Akala translated to pink in Hawaiian, but indirectly red.

A Hawaiian shrub or climber, Rubus macraei, bearing a large, red, edible raspberry.

Even though it is a plant, it still indirectly means red.

I also want to repost this from what I think.

If we are indeed going to be exploring the Rainbow Prophecy, I think the island that wasn't used is underwater and it might resurface after the main game.

I also believe Island F and C will be post game. Also, forgive me for not positioning Island C correctly on the Hawaiian side of the map. That was a first week thing and I though the islands were combined until I looked into it more a week or two after I made it.

Melemele Island = Real Yellow Island in Hawaii.
    Akala Island = Pink Island in Hawaii.

This could indicate that they are indeed using all 8 islands from hawaii, but 4 are for after the game.

This is my prediction on that.

A = Melemele Island (Yellow)
    B = Akala Island (Pink)
    C = Alani Island (Orange)
    D = Ulaula Island (Red)
    E = Poni Island (Purple)
    F = Keokeo Island (White)
    G = Ahinahina Island (Grey)
    H = Omaomao Island (Green) (Island Missing from Alola. Possibly Underwater)

Blue is the only missing from the original four. This could be changed to replace one of the other colors. But it also could be a 9th Island. If the credible leak says there are 4 not in the original art, that leaves us with possible other islands.

If we have a 9th Island, It would be called Polu Island.

Thanks for pointing that out IcyIce! So, you just made this thread go deeper. {:3} {:3} {:3}
    Your fact that there are 9 islands make us wonder a lot more of what each island could offer.

I'm just so psyched to know about them. So, if there are 9 islands, then how come there are only four "tapus"?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years

• Thanks for pointing that out IcyIce! So, you just made this thread go deeper. {:3} {:3} {:3}
    Your fact that there are 9 islands make us wonder a lot more of what each island could offer.

I'm just so psyched to know about them. So, if there are 9 islands, then how come there are only four "tapus"?

I think there will be 5 Tapus. I think one will be an Event Legends. With the Artifical Island, being man made, I doubt there is a Guardian. The other 2 small islands, I think may be too small for a Guardian, or could be under the Guardianship of one of the 4 Guardians.

Leaving the 8th/9th Island. As I said, they could rename one of the islands to blue. I have always thought there would be a 9th island based on Easter Island though, even though it is far away form Hawaii

The Fifth Tapu could have disappeared after the island not used from Hawaii, sunk under the water. Making it the 5th Tapu. I say an event Tapu, because I think there will be at least 3 more event legends, not counting Magearna. And I personally think the Guardians may be based on the Tiki Gods and the Totem Pole as one, and there is 5 Major Tiki Gods. But that is for another thread which is somewhere else on here.

Back