• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: lol tools and docs for ds? wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnius

Pokemon Music Hacking Guru
Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    But since said illegal ROMs are forbidden on this site, why is this illegal document/toolset not forbidden on this site?
    We might as well ask why the Rom Hacking Forum is permitted. You show Nintendo that and they'd surely Cease and Desist in a second. "But Nintendo we're downloading tools that were made by fans!" and Nintendo would say "Don't care, hacking our games is illegal". So none of the tools and documents on this site are really legal, so should we take them all down? No. My thing is, until a Nintendo executive sends the admins a Cease and Desist order for tools, any tool is fair game for this forum. And don't get the idea that just because the tool wasn't made by Nintendo it's legal, that's not true at all. Infact, the whole art of modifying a game is illegal.

Magnius

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    Is it really? I doubt that.
    Well look at it this way. Pokemon is copyright Nintendo. The only reason Nintendo of America can translate, distribute and modify the Pokemon games is because they have a license to do it. This goes for online games and everything else. Modifying the product is breaking the copyright. This is why Microsoft bans anyone from X-Box Live who modifies the 360. If modding was legal, they wouldn't give a crap. The only way modifying a game is legal is if you have a license from Nintendo to do it. Otherwise it's illegal and if someone who worked for Nintendo found out you were doing it, you could get sued.

Years
  • No. The reason that Microsoft will ban modders is because it's against the Xbox LIVE terms of service. Modifying is perfectly legal, but distributing modified roms is illegal, and that's what you need a license for, not to modify the rom itself.

Years
  • No. The reason that Microsoft will ban modders is because it's against the Xbox LIVE terms of service. Modifying is perfectly legal, but distributing modified roms is illegal, and that's what you need a license for, not to modify the rom itself.

Which is why we have a file format called IPS... Else you could make an aplication!

Magnius

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    I don't know, I've heard that the actual modding a rom is illegal because it's modifying the games original code. If I had a copy of the official law on it I could say for certain whether or not modifying it is illegal or not. I think the actual IPS is the legal part, not actually the hacking.

Magnius

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2014
    Well anyways, that doesn't really have anything to do with this. Point is, most things rom hacking related have questionable legality and no one here who uses the tools or documents here really has a right to talk.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    Because this stuff is just that cool.
    LOL
    Well look at it this way. Pokemon is copyright Nintendo. The only reason Nintendo of America can translate, distribute and modify the Pokemon games is because they have a license to do it. This goes for online games and everything else. Modifying the product is breaking the copyright. This is why Microsoft bans anyone from X-Box Live who modifies the 360. If modding was legal, they wouldn't give a crap. The only way modifying a game is legal is if you have a license from Nintendo to do it. Otherwise it's illegal and if someone who worked for Nintendo found out you were doing it, you could get sued.

First of all, if you own the game under the free use policy, you can do anything you want to it, ROM hacking has never been brought up in court and I believe there have been no C&D orders against hacks. So I assume it's legal. Companies and such like your example for microsoft ban it because
    A. They lose money.
    And B. You can cheat.

Years
  • Well you obviously don't understand emulation, it's legal to own a back up copy of your own game, that you dumped yourself, however a copier to back up your game is illegal, and I doubt you dumped each and every single one of your ROMs.

Now shut up and accept the tools,

Prove I didn't.

Mwuhahahahaha.

LOL Gabe showed me these. 1337. *hugs*

Argent Crusader

Isn't Falstad dead?
    Years
  • Can someone upload it to a different site? Maybe Mediafire. I can't download from Megaupload.
    It seems very interesting...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back