• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Loose-ends in Pokemon

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
Years
  • Although the Pokemon games are fantastic and darn right legendary, there are a few things in the over all universe that bother me. The main thing that bothers me is Shellder and it's relationship with Slowpoke. The pokedex says that when they latch to the head or tail of Slowpoke it's form changes. What bugs me is that it doesn't count this as evolution. I really feel like they should show more relationships like this in which Pokemon need each other. It would also be nice to see these forms become catchable.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Not to mention that question of whether or not animals exist or if pokémon are eaten for meat in food O.o

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • Why Pokemon are so friendly with humans in the first place and what kind of magic the Pokeball has to make a completely wild Pokemon become so friendly with it's catcher is what I want to know.

Years
  • I think Game Freak should explain why certain Pokemon evolve through trading.
    I think it is usually explained by the Pokémon receiving an electric stimulation. The Pokédex Entry for Karrablast, for example, states: "These mysterious Pokémon evolve when they receive electrical stimulation while they are in the same place as Shelmet."

Not to mention that question of whether or not animals exist or if pokémon are eaten for meat in food O.o
    Pokémon are eaten for food. In one of the higher Lumiose Restaurants, they serve Slowpoke Tail.

What really bothers me, is how can a mother and father let their ten year old go on a journy across an entire region on their own?!
    I think that in the Pokémon World, Children are thought of being responsible earlier than in our world. Also, they have Pokémon, most of the time powerful creatures, bound to them with technical devices. Even preschoolers gonna be fine! (Somewhat)
    Also, the youngest Player Character (and the only one with a confirmed age) was Red, with 11. Lately, the PC get older.

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
    Years
  • My question is why does Game Freak say the protagonists of most Pokemon games are 10, when most look like they belong in High School. ._.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2014
    Shedinja
    I get that it's supposed to be like the shed skin of Nincada/Ninjask but the fact that it's breathing and moving and just plain alive is just beyond creepy

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
    Years
  • Not to mention that question of whether or not animals exist or if pokémon are eaten for meat in food O.o

Both. Several Pokédex entries refer to non-Pokémon animals (one of Gastly's entries refers to an Indian elephant), however it is also known that humans eat certain Pokémon. Slowpoke Tails are commonly served as food, and Farfetch'd is a critically-endangered species because it was once hunted as a prized delicacy.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 1, 2021
    When will our protagonist have a father?

Gen III we had a father, a Gym leader actually... Norman of Petalburg City. Though I do think the father should appear in more games, as well as establishing a deeper bond with the parents.

Also, why are starter Pokemon all grass/water/fire? What about people who didn't start their journey as the professor's pupil? For that matter how can starters be so rare if they are fairly common among the other trainers in the game? Wouldn't mind having another game where you get to choice from different Pokemon types and either doesn't know the professor of the region at the beginning or not at all. A slightly older protagonist once in awhile would be nice. They could do something like this for the 'third' game in each generation to give it a little extra flair to the other two.

Are there other locations in the regions besides what we are shown in game? If not, then I'd have to say the Pokemon world seems to be pretty small.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    My question is why does Game Freak say the protagonists of most Pokemon games are 10, when most look like they belong in High School. ._.
    I'm pretty sure they've been getting older, but only recently. In Gens 1-4, they were 10 or 11. In Gen 5, I think they got bumped up to 14, and in Gen 6, about 16. That's what it seems like when you look at the player characters to me, anyway. It's just that Game Freak has never officially revealed the age of any player character besides Red, who's 11 in R/B and FR/LG (and by extension, Leaf, since they should be the same age).

Red: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Red_(game_character)
    Brendan: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Brendan_(game_character)
    Hilda: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hilda
    Serena: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Serena_(game)

Red is the only one with an age listed. Everyone else, no age (didn't list all 12 player characters because you get the point).

Also, I think it'd be a great idea if in the next game/next gen, the player's father is the leader of the villan team.

The main thing that bothers me is Shellder and it's relationship with Slowpoke. The pokedex says that when they latch to the head or tail of Slowpoke it's form changes. What bugs me is that it doesn't count this as evolution. It would also be nice to see these forms become catchable.

Those are evolutions (evolution=form change) and the are catchable. They're called Slowbro and Slowking, remember?

Last edited:

dark_ho-oh

Dark Mystical Bird
    Years
  • Those are evolutions (evolution=form change) and the are catchable. They're called Slowbro and Slowking, remember?

Even though the evolutionary line exists, Shellder itself is not needed to get Slowbro and Slowking disputed the pokedex and the anime says. In my opinion, Slowpoke should evolve when in proximity to Shellder and Shellder disappearing afterwards.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Even though the evolutionary line exists, Shellder itself is not needed to get Slowbro and Slowking disputed the pokedex and the anime says. In my opinion, Slowpoke should evolve when in proximity to Shellder and Shellder disappearing afterwards.

Oh, right. But that's basically what Slowbro/Slowking is; a Slowpoke with a changed Shellder attached. Though you are right, they could change the method of evolution to match up with the dex entries.

Back