• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lowered catch rates and other shady stuff

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    somewhere there is proof that curveballs increase chance of capture, the trade off is that you will miss the target more with curveball (unless you get really REALLY good at throwing curveballs)

No offense, but curveballs aren't that hard to throw especially for any of the closer (like weedle, pidgey, etc.) pokes. Zubats and others further back it's different, but for the ones up close (which is most) curveballs work great IMO. Just keep practicing and once you get it you'll be fine :).

Years
    Just spent like 5 Poké Balls on a Weedle only to have it flee on me. This is becoming a huge pain, especially since I need to go further into the city to get enough PokéStops to make up for all the wilds I lose balls on. AGH. I've stopped catching 98% of the 'common' mons now because of this. Would really rather get them all to Lucky Egg evolve once I have enough but it's just not worth wasting all my Poké Balls on and then not being able to progress for a while. /':

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I've stopped trying to achieve some of the medals such as Youngster and Bird Keeper because most Rattata's are 200cp and cost great balls and razz candies that I don't want to waste.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    It's mad annoying! I can't catch anything I am level 21 had a 400 cp Pidgeot escape on ultra ball razz berry + great spin throw like WHAT MORE DO U WANT NIANTIC

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Guys, the bug has been fixed like a week ago, good throws and excellent throws and curveballs do work and the XP bonus is back. This is quite an old thread that has been resurrected.

At higher levels you find higher CP pokemon, and these are harder to catch. A 400 CP pidgey has a really, really high CP for a pidgey, at level 24 and after catching 283 pidgeys the highest one i got, and the only one over 400, was a 412.

So you can complain that the strongest pidgey that you have ever seen at lvl21 was difficult to catch. Excuse me for not caring.

It gets "worse": At higher levels, some of the pokemon you find will be EVEN STRONGER (but you will still find many of the weak ones). Its a real PAIN to get a collection of pokemon with CP 2000+.

To avoid these strong pokemon and to avoid having a sick-looking squad of 2000+ CP pokemon, you could just keep making new accounts, and eventually, when trading is introduced to the game, you can transfer all your low CP trash pokemon to one main account. If you just want to collect, and CP does not matter to you, there always is stamp collecting or coin collecting.

Years
    Guys, the bug has been fixed like a week ago, good throws and excellent throws and curveballs do work and the XP bonus is back. This is quite an old thread that has been resurrected.

At higher levels you find higher CP pokemon, and these are harder to catch. A 400 CP pidgey has a really, really high CP for a pidgey, at level 24 and after catching 283 pidgeys the highest one i got, and the only one over 400, was a 412.

Has it? I've encountered many Pokémon with green rings/low CP that have been painful to catch and it's still noticeable. I guess it's possible that my being around level 18 at the time of this problem (now lv. 20) could mean that catching just naturally became harder and mixed in with the bug so it could be taking me time to get used to it if it's now been fixed.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hello I've been playing pokemon go for a few days and I was easily able to catch low cp mons in one go but ever since the new update the catch rate seems to have been heavily skewed also mons seem to jump and attack more and sometimes even predict when I am about to throw my ball.
    The lowered catch rates and the lack of pokestops in suburban and rural areas makes it seem like Niantic wants people to buy pokeballs in a very shady way combined with the fact that the lowering of Catch rates wasn't even in the patch notes makes the situation extremely sketchy.
    Has anyone else experienced this? (Lower catch rates?)

I thought I was the only one being affected by this; I'm glad I'm not!

I do agree that this is a little bothersome; due to it, this is the first time I've ran out of Poke Balls.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Has it? I've encountered many Pokémon with green rings/low CP that have been painful to catch and it's still noticeable. I guess it's possible that my being around level 18 at the time of this problem (now lv. 20) could mean that catching just naturally became harder and mixed in with the bug so it could be taking me time to get used to it if it's now been fixed.

It really starts picking up at lvl 20+.

The low-CP pokemon are easy to catch, but they still have a chance to escape, but its a low chance, so you just throw a normal ball, no berry, and it usually works. There still is a chance of an escape, and it can also happen two times in a row, its just rare.

The ones that really screw you, sometimes out of 10+ balls, are the ones that look low and easy but that actually are not, the 350+ pidgeys and the 200+ weedles and 330+ rattata. Those look deceptively easy but the CP is actually high and they will be rather huge if you evolve them.

With these, you can either just skip them, or go for berry + hyperball and expect resistance.

You can just try to manage it, by knowing when to expect plenty of resistance, and then either skipping them or trying berry + superball.

In the low levels its basically easy mode, and at level 20+ you start leaving easy mode and some of the pokemon (you still get low ones) will get increasingly feisty. But then, at higher levels, you can also come across that 800+ CP Eevee that will evolve into something truly powerful, or a 1450 Magmar.

Its about knowing when it will be easy and when it will be tough, and then you need to decide: Use 1 or 2 berries and 1 or 2 hyperballs, or just skip it, or waste 10+ regular balls only to have it run away.

Everyone notices that increase in difficulty, learning how to deal with it is part of the game. The most difficult ones have an 8-9% chance to run away and only a 16-18% capture rate with normal balls, these odds mean that you can lose a whole lot of balls and then have them run away anyway, for good chances to get them, you really need berry + hyperball + curveball + nice throws, to increase your really bad chances of success.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    It really starts picking up at lvl 20+.....

you really need berry + hyperball + curveball + nice throws, to increase your really bad chances of success.

Everything Neltharion83 said plus a thousand. He hit the nail on the head. Though if I were to add anything it would be the importance of curveballs. I'm convinced I have better catch rates with them though I haven't recorded stats on them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    So 8 Great Balls is normal to catch a 278cp Magmar and it only gets harder? Oh joy I can't wait

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Everything Neltharion83 said plus a thousand. He hit the nail on the head. Though if I were to add anything it would be the importance of curveballs. I'm convinced I have better catch rates with them though I haven't recorded stats on them.

Curve balls give you a bonus on the capture rate. But the good throws and great throws also give you a bonus, so does choosing a better ball or using a berry. Its about minimizing the amount of balls you need.

Personally i am just not good enough at curveballs, i miss more often and i have trouble combining it with a great throw. Then i would get the curveball bonus on capture rate, but less of the bonus for a great throw. So i just do the regular throws and work on my accuracy and i get a lot of great throws.

So 8 Great Balls is normal to catch a 278cp Magmar and it only gets harder? Oh joy I can't wait

No, the 278 CP magmar will always be relatively easy to catch, at any level. This will not get more difficult.

The thing is that at a high level, you might still get an easy to catch 278 CP magmar. It happens. But in many cases, instead of getting that, you will get a 1200 CP magmar or a 1400 CP magmar, or just a 900 CP magmar. These are hard to catch.

Basially at a low level, you get 100% pokemon that are low CP and easy to catch. And at a high level, you get 33% low CP pokemon that are easy to catch, 33% pokemon that are higher but not too high and a bit tougher to catch, and 33% high CP pokemon that are really strong and really hard to catch.

So it gets more difficult, but that disadvantage is worth it, because you DO get these very high CP pokemon. Yesterday i looked at the collection of a legit lvl29 player, and she had such a diversity of CP 2000+ pokemon, that was impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Yesterday i looked at the collection of a legit lvl29 player, and she had such a diversity of CP 2000+ pokemon, that was impressive.

I'm closing in on level 26 and to date I don't have one cp2000+ poke yet. Yesterday I evolved an Eevee into a 1900 Vaporeon so I have a feeling within the next level or so I'll finally start evolving and catching 2000+cp pokes. Of course I'm sitting on 300K in stardust now so I could easily push my top 10 into 2000+, but I don't want to start spending just yet.

Considering the massive 50k jumps in XP per level the next few levels I doubt I'll see 29 for weeks :o.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I've noticed sometimes the Pokemon are too far away to catch, like you can't throw the ball far enough to reach it. It's only happened a few times but it's pretty annoying. It's happened on green circle Pokemon as well, not just red.

Another time I had an Eevee attack about 6 times in a row. It was pretty low co also. I finally just ran.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I've noticed sometimes the Pokemon are too far away to catch, like you can't throw the ball far enough to reach it. It's only happened a few times but it's pretty annoying. It's happened on green circle Pokemon as well, not just red.

Another time I had an Eevee attack about 6 times in a row. It was pretty low co also. I finally just ran.

I can make these throws. When someone has a pokemon that is too far away and i notice, i offer to do it for them.

In most cases its a pidgeot, the final evolution of pidgey. These are huge, flying, and far in the distance. Golbat can be similar.

I usually waste two or 3 balls until it dawns on me how far i need to throw, and then i hit it with one of my maximum distance throws.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2017
    yeah. i'm getting sick of the escape/flee rates. just stupid.

last night i saw a 545 squirtle.

used 9 raspberries/9 ULTRA balls (just because i really need the candy so i thought why not).
    every throw was either nice, great, or excellent.

doesn't matter. he kept jumping out and eventually ran away. 9 ULTRA BALLS....

same thing with low level pidgeys. i'm level 26 and you're telling me a 200cp pidgey should be able to jump out of 5+ balls and run away?

this game is just starting to become stupid/pointless.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I think the catches are random because I've seen high cp Pokémon with green circles and low cp pokemon with red circles.

I've been able to catch red circle pokemon with poke balls as well.

For the record I caught a 900+ cp Dewgong in one Great Ball..

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I think the catches are random because I've seen high cp Pokémon with green circles and low cp pokemon with red circles.

I've been able to catch red circle pokemon with poke balls as well.

For the record I caught a 900+ cp Dewgong in one Great Ball..

Was it Pokemon of the same species where the high cp had green and low cp had red?
    Each Pokemon has a different catch rate so a low CP rare one could still Red circle
    Also using better pokeballs only increases the chance you will catch a Pokemon, you can still catch a dragonite with a pokeball just that your chance will be considerably lower than if you were using ultra balls

Back