• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lyrics or sound - which is more important to you in music?

Which do you prefer in your music? Good sounding beats and vocals, or lyrics?

• Sound, instrumentation, vocals, etc

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Lyrics that are well written

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
    Years
    As the title says, i'm curious as to what some people prefer in music. Some may just like a nice beat or instrumental flow to music and not care about what the singers are saying (some may even just like the vocals), but others will tune out if they're faced with inane lines in the song, or other aspects such as identical (or no) rhymes, or ones that make no sense at all.

I prefer sound over lyrics, because if a nice beat backs the song then I usually don't get too bothered by the words in it, unless they're extremely unpleasant. But that doesn't mean there are songs that have turned me off because of their lyrics, though.

Which one makes or breaks a song for you? Discuss.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I like it when they involve both but I'd prefer well written lyrics with a message over sound. I hate artists (especially hip-hop artists) that has a hot beat but no lyrics or meaning. Rapping about cars, hoes, drugs, the club, and fashion is not music, it's ignorance. The "Where they at Doe" song states my case.

I as well hate artists that has a good message but a beat or sound that turns me away. Their lyrics may be great but their instrumental selection was horrible.

When listening to music. I listen for real talent, musicians with a good voice, good message, and a good instrumental. If you got it all then I'll **** wit you. If you don't, then I wont.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Lyrics are more important when they are in genres where they mean more such as Rap and Hip Hop. A lot of good rap songs have minimal beats but the poems they tell make the songs.

Electronic and dance music are not as important; the beat and instrumentation is the main focus. It's mainly where each element needs to be placed in the mix with the right amount of focus and having a ongoing cadence. (Which I why I have issues with most big room EDM)

I'm usually more of a electronic person, so the beat is more important to me. Daft Punk's "Around the World" is literally the title repeated throughout the song, but the progressive beat with the different instruments used are the main focus.

pkmin3033

Sound. But then, I listen to a lot of classical music, or video game/anime soundtrack. I prefer it when vocals are used as just another instrument, rather than the focus of the track in question through lyrics. Sure, in songs with lyrics it is important that those lyrics be well-written, but I think a well-composd track is far more important, as that is what I really listen for.

Lyrics can convey a lot of meaning, but I just think the meaning is so much deeper and more...pure, when it's just sound. It allows you, the listener, to attach the emotions to the track yourself, rather than have them constricted by lyrics which, whilst they can also convey volumes of meaning, aren't necessarily YOUR meaning. It's just not as personal, at least not to me.

Years
    It mainly has to be both that can make or break a song for me. Other factors I consider when it comes to finding a song I like is vocal work (if there's annoying vocals, that song is knocked down a peg for me) and also I don't like it if there's a collaboration involving someone who I think doesn't fit with the song, mostly rappers which is why I kinda hate how most big-name pop stars have rappers involved in some of their songs.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    sound, but if I'm listening to Bob Dylan or Public Enemy it's a different story. so, usually sound, but lyrics are often very important, vital and emotionally incredibly important.

SapphireMillennium

The Legend of Hoenn
    Years
    Sound for me. To be completely honest, a song could have horrible lyrics, but as long as the background music/beat is good, I don't care. xD

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Sound. I really like Dance Gavin Dance, on most of those lyrics are pure bullocks, but they sound good, they have a poetry in the sounds and the way they're sung. I rather have a song with great sound and terribad lyrics than a terror-remix poetry piece.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Sound is all important here - Even if the vocals were bad, I'd still like the music, and hell, if possible, I could try and get an instrumental version of the song.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Definitely sound. I normally don't care much about lyrics actually, haha.

Years
    Most of the music I listen to is sound, which I think is 1000 times more important the lyrics. Especially those heavy metal songs with all that roaring and screaming is just NO. I like my ear to not bleed and to hear audible words.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I love to sing, but a strong instrumental base is a must-have. I also listen to lyricless music A LOT so I think it's pretty clear what sells a song to me.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    Most of the time as long it sounds nice to my ears, I normally don't really care about what they are actually saying. It made me one of the rare people who still liked Blurred Lines even after all of it's controversy aha.

Years
    Sound, definitely. I think the main indicator of this is that I can listen to instrumentals (and i do, a lot of the time), but no way am i listening to a dry acapella. no one likes listening to dry acapellas.

Also, i'd listen to a guy screaming over a well produced track.
    I would not, however, listen to a beautiful singer sing over the sound of taking a dump on a fire on loop.

Instrument>Lyrics.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    sound
    though in cases like björk, both are equally important

Neo Emolga

Legendary Sky Squirrel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    SOUND. I don't even care if there are no lyrics or the lyrics are hard to hear, if a song sounds catchy, has a great beat, and is memorable, it's a winner in my book. On the flip side, great lyrics can't save a song that just sounds out of whack or is just plain irritating to listen to.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    It's a little bit of both, but I think what gets me the most is the lyrics. I like songs that I can relate to and speak things I can't express myself. Examples of this would be anything from Simple Plan.

Back