• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mafia - Take Two [Sign-Ups]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Right for my fellow supporters, you know who you are, you know that PC's trial run mafia game in the VIP Section finally finished (Posted March 6th and finished yesterday, April 19th). The game went well, and the innocents managed to win by a last minute tie breaker.

This time we're hoping to get a bigger group involved.

Now I know there's another mafia that started not long after mine, but I run things a little differently than they did. So here's a bit of an overview of what exactly mafia is, and what to expect.

Right, so here is the sign up for the mafia game. But first, let's get a basic understanding of the game.

The Game

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Innocent. The Mafia's goal is to kill Innocents, while the Innocent's goal is to outlast Mafia.

From Wikipedia:

"Mafia... is a party game created in the USSR by Dimitry Davidoff in 1986, modelling a conflict between an informed minority (the mafia) and an uninformed majority (the innocents). At the start of the game each player is secretly assigned a role affiliated with one of these teams. The game has two alternating phases: "night", during which the mafia may covertly "murder" an innocent, and "day", in which surviving players debate the identities of the mafiosi and vote to eliminate a suspect. Play continues until all of the mafia has been eliminated, or until the mafia outnumbers the innocents."

First, everyone gets a role. These roles will be either innocent or mafia. Traditionally, innocents always outnumber the mafia, since the point of the game is informed minority against uninformed majority. The point of the game is to eradicate the other faction, so mafia kills kills enough to outnumber them, or innocents kill all the mafia.

I'll say it again. Mafia players win when outnumber the Innocent players, and Innocent people win when all the Mafia are dead.

The Order Of Things And Phases

At the beginning of the game, the Game Master (GM) will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, first is Night. During the Night, the thread is 'locked' and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately (via PM) to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins.

During Day, the results of the night previous are announced and the Innocent must choose someone to Lynch. This is done by a daily vote. Each player, unless they receive a special role dictating otherwise, gets one vote. During the day you are free to discuss as much as you want, there are no limits on posts, and you can change your vote at any time before the time limit is reached. Each Day Phase will last at least 48 hours, with extensions given should they be needed. (To vote for a player, simply state your vote clearly and putting the player's name in question in bold.) Once a player is lynched they are considered dead and their alignment is revealed. Players can also abstain from lynching when a lead is not forthcoming and they do not wish to risk an innocent life. Be wary though, these abstains will be limited.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia outnumber the innocent.

Now What Are Roles?

Roles are given randomly, you cannot pick your role nor alignment. (If you're curious, to select roles I use a number based system, a little RNG. Basically, dice rolling. Old school. This is what happens when the person running things plays Dungeons and Dragons.)

Your role is given to you via PM. You are not allowed to directly copy your role PM in thread or to communicate your role unless your role states otherwise.

You also cannot communicate with any other players outside of the thread. That is cheating... This is an honor based system. Only the mafia and other select roles can communicate with others outside of the game thread.

What is the importance of roles? Certain roles, both innocent and mafia, have Night Actions. These are commands you can do at night to assist your faction. This can be anything from Inspecting another player to find their alignment, to Healing a player and preventing them from dying that night, or even to kill another player in cold blood.

These roles are handed out by the Game Master, or GM, via private message at the beginning of the game. For this game I, PhantomX0990 will be your GM. The GM is not a player. The GM manages the inner workings of the game. They change phases, receive actions, and call for the daily vote.

Your role PM will look contain the following if you are Innocent; first, your alignment; your role; a short description of your role; and your night action if you have one; as well as a short explanation of your night action. If you are a Lover or a Fishing Brother you will get the name of your partner.

Your role PM will contain the following if you are Mafia: first, your alignment; your role; a short description of your role; and your night action; a short explanation of your night action if you have one; and a list of the other Mafia members.

Mafia as a default can communicate with the other mafia members at will, unless, you guessed it, it's stated otherwise.

Roles

Now for roles. You cannot pick your role or alignment. Instead it is randomly selected and issued by the GM via Private Message (PM)

Mafia Roles:

The Don: Leader of the mafia.
    Night Action: Each night phase they may kill one player.

Mafia goons: Just standard mafia members. They have no night action, instead they help the Don decide on who to kill the next day. Should the Don be killed one of the goons will be selected at random to be the Don.

Terrorist: The terrorist is on the mafia's side; however, they do not know of him, and he does not know who they are (and as such, he may not communicate with them during the night). The terrorist's goal is to ensure that the mafia win, and to achieve this, he has one secret weapon at his disposal: he is a suicide bomber. At any point during the day phase, he may blow himself up and take one player of his choice with him. If the inspector inspects the terrorist, he will be shown as not mafia, and if he dies, he is also shown as not mafia.

Innocent Roles:

Inspector: Each night the Inspector can pick one player and find their alignment.

Doctor: Can prevent one player from dying each night.

Lover: At the beginning of the game picks one other player to be their partner. Their goal together is to be the last two alive, or at least to survive. Should one of them die, though, then the other will commit suicide out of grief. They may commicate out of thread.

Fishing Brothers: Two brothers. They are randomly assigned. Each night one of the brothers picks a player, should their brother die that player is killed in retribution.

Vigilante: Once per game may use a night action to kill another player.

Third Party:

Alien: If the alien is attacked by the mafia, a vigilante or a fishing brothert, he does not die; instead, he turns into an activated alien.
    Activated: If the activated alien is chosen to be lynched during the day, they instantly win the game... but they are mafia upon inspection.

General rules will be posted in the first post of the game thread.

Roles may be removed or additional roles added due to the amount of people willing to play.

___________________________________________​

So... let's play! Just post in this thread to sign up and I'll add you to the player list. Feel free to ask questions too.

Players:

Charlie Brown

Netto Azure
    jdthebud
    O'aka XIII
    Genesis
    Zeffy
    The Void
    Omicron
    elheroeoscuro
    Avant Garde
    OmegaRuby
    Kyain
    acatfrommars
    gimmiepie

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
    Yay sign me up!
    Questions: Does the terrorist only have one shot at a suicide bomb, or can he do it more than once? I inferred that he only has one shot, but...
    Also, are the Inspector's results made public?

Never played with any roles other than Mafia, Innocent and Healer before, this will be interesting.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Oh I haven't heard of the alien role before. Sign me up! This should be interesting c:

Phantom1

Years
    Right I do believe I have everyone added to the list, please feel free to smack me with a rusty crowbar if I missed you.

Still waiting on more players though.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Didn't even know this was going on, I'm totally in again. I'll round up some of the other supporters as well to get this thing rollin'.

And I promise I'll stay dead this time around ~

Phantom1

Years
    Right, well, I would still like more players.

So, I'm starting the game this weekend. I'll say when.

If you want to join please, jump right in!

If we start with the current number of players I'm afraid that certain roles may be dropped for the sake of the game.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Bump for more players, also bump for I want to play this now since it was supposed to start last week :<

Phantom1

Years
    Sorry, I had... bad irl issues.

Anywho. I still would like more players. If everyone on the list is still interested that is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back