• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Magical Altering Gym Menagerie [Now compatible with Unbound Cloud!]

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
  • What is this?

This was my entry for Anthroyd's fourth Make A Great Map contest. Just as Naillevaihcam won 1st place in the second contest, this one also won 1st place for the fourth contest as well! For context, Make A Great Map is a sort of Game Jam-like contest where participants have 30 days to make a complete, conceptually single map, with a beginning and end. Besides being from the same series of contests, this game and Naillevaihcam have no connection to each other, they use the same placeholder player sprites because of the time constraints, it was simply easier to do. The theme for this particular contest was Gym Interior, as well as a list of gimmicks to choose from, and so I chose the gimmick: "The move Teleport must play a key role in completing the hack." No spoilers, but that alone should give away what this game will be about. I didn't think I would top Naillevaihcam, but I was so inspired by an idea that I practically self-crunched the whole month to get this done, and I'm proud of how it came out. Like Naillevaihcam before it, this is a relatively short but fully complete game. The only changes between the contest release and this one is some bug fixing and cleaning up. If any new updates like additional fixes come up, I'll update as needed, but I will not be adding any new content. The point is mostly to show off everything I was able to do in a month's time. If you speedrun straight to the credits, you might have a slightly faster experience than Naillevaihcam, but if you take your time and experience all the content, it just may end up being over thrice as long. There's a ton of optional content this time around, and it's up to you to decide when you've had your fill. This game doesn't simply end at the credits, it ends when you want it to, so have fun!

Story

Welcome to the Magical Altering Gym Menagerie! Or MAGM for short. This is a yet-to-be-approved-by-the-Pokémon-League Gym challenge that should test your wits and your skills! The goal of this Gym is to collect 8 pins to earn the right to challenge the Gym Leader, Sothoth. Note that while there are more than 8 pins available, it is not mandatory to collect them all. I highly encourage you to talk to Sothoth whenever you're unsure of what to do next. She has a lot of helpful and contextual dialogue, and will comment on many, many different things from your progress and accomplishments, to hints on what you need to do next. Just keep in mind the waiver you sign when you get started, MAGM inc. is not responsible for injuries, displacement, lost items, persons, dimensions, or sudden dimensional implosions.

Features

As this hack utilizes Skeli's Dynamic Pokémon Expansion and Complete FireRed Upgrade, you can expect many of it's included features by default, such as:
    - Pokémon, moves, abilities, and various battle mechanics from later generations
    - Customized battle-ready Pokémon in both your starting Party as well as the PC
    - Improved AI
    - Ability pop-ups
    - Trainers with EVs
    - Fairy type
    - And more!

Unbound Cloud Compatible

It's my pleasure to finally announce that Magical Altering Gym Menagerie can be used with Unbound Cloud! Unbound Cloud is an online storage program by Skeli, the creator of Pokemon Unbound, it is compatible with a select few ROM hacks, this one included. You can store Pokemon across compatible games and save files, and even trade, from GTS to Wonder Trading! Do you want to take your MAGM team with you to other games? Did you want to take the Gym challenge with your own team? Now you can! MAGM is compatible with 898 Pokemon, from Bulbasaur to Calyrex, including all their forms. Currently, Hisuian Pokemon are not compatible, I won't make any promises but I may make them as well as future Pokemon compatible as they come. It is worth noting however, that that the player's starting Pokemon and all opponent's teams are set in stone, they will never change with any updates. As of now, the known compatible browsers for Unbound Cloud are: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Opera, with some mobile compatibility in the works. This feature has basically been ready to go since 1.0, but due to the site's requirements, you will need to be on 1.2 or later (if there ever is a later) to work. There is only one in-game requirement, and that is that your save file must have interacted with the PC at least once. Technical reasons below if you're curious.
    Spoiler:

That's about it! If you want the non-hyperlink URL to the site, it is: https://unboundcloud.net
    If you need any assistance using the Cloud, you can find help at Unbound's official Discord server: https://discord.gg/k34Jm4T

How It Works: The Teleport Gimmick

I recommend reading this part only after discovering how to properly use Teleport, or if you're still stuck even after talking to Sothoth.
    Spoiler:

Screenshots

yiNMILg.png
    2NoZA0m.png
    lGkLLNW.png
    DS1oras.png
    8cjaFV7.png
    xguP89Z.png
    ecTTTvL.png
    QzdsbM9.png
    d2lH5b5.png
    JCFWZZF.png
    kR3lKrW.png
    nzkOT3n.png
    ZFYpcRi.png
    7xGAYoM.png
    XZ0lTaP.png

Credits

Spoiler:

Extra Spoiler-y Credits

Spoiler:

Special Thanks:
    Anthroyd - Host of MAGM, (Make A Good Map, not Magical Altering Gym Menagerie) creator of helpful video tutorials, owner of Anthoyd's Discord Server, and all around good friend and cool guy. He helped me actually start to learn ROM hacking for realsies, and always believed in me.
    Skeli - One of the creators of CFRU, and one of the greatest GBA hackers I know. From CFRU to personal DMs, the majority of this game and everything that makes it work the way it does wouldn't have been possible without him. Go play Pokémon Unbound, seriously it's amazing.
    My IRL friends - Thevenomous, Jerico Pepino, malgus, Silent Vigil, MetaLeviathan, and The Saltiest Man I Know - For their support, feedback, encouragement, ideas, and playtesting. You guys helped more than you know.
    PokéCommunity - For years of help and support. Decades at this point. They're the whole reason I discovered and fell in love with ROM hacking.

Finally, a thank you to Nintendo, GameFreak, and The Pokémon Company for creating FireRed, and the Pokémon brand in general. Please support their official releases. This has all been a labor of love for Pokémon, words can't describe how much Pokémon means to me. I hope you can appreciate them too. Pokémon FireRed belongs to Nintendo, GameFreak, Creatures Inc., The Pokémon Company, and many lawyers. I claim ownership of nothing, and I do not condone the sale or monetization of any fangames in any capacity. This is all free, and it should stay that way.

Attachments

• Magical Altering Gym Menagerie 1.2.ups
      19.5 MB · Views: 1,025
    Last edited:

Ona

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    awesome! I have a question, why not adding more Pokemon in the boxes? is it something you will be doing at some point?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • awesome! I have a question, why not adding more Pokemon in the boxes? is it something you will be doing at some point?

I figure 2 and a half boxes full of Pokemon is more than enough already. Besides, this is the balance of a game made in 30 days, so I don't intend to change that by adding or changing anything, unless it's a direct bug or mistake that needs fixing.

Ona

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    fair enough! I was just wondering if you would be willing to add it in the future ^_^, just for more team options, but it is really good as it is !

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • fair enough! I was just wondering if you would be willing to add it in the future ^_^, just for more team options, but it is really good as it is !

Thanks! Glad you like it! Just don't get your hopes up about any new updates, I intend to leave it as is, it is 100% complete after all.

Speaking of updates, MAGM has just now been updated to 1.1! Turns out I forgot to set a specific level script's type to the right one, but that's been corrected now, so all is well.

Last edited:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • OK, so I just finished playing this hack.

Pros- Wide variety of Pokemon to pick from. Interesting concept with Teleport.

Cons- Felt too short overall. That one Special battle at the end was kinda pointless despite looking cool.

Overall, I'd give the hack a solid 4 out of 5. Ways that I'd improve the hack- TMs being either sold or found throughout the areas, Nature changer, and a way to farm EXP more easily/have the Pokemon be Lvl 100 out of the gate.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • OK, so I just finished playing this hack.

Pros- Wide variety of Pokemon to pick from. Interesting concept with Teleport.

Cons- Felt too short overall. That one Special battle at the end was kinda pointless despite looking cool.

Overall, I'd give the hack a solid 4 out of 5. Ways that I'd improve the hack- TMs being either sold or found throughout the areas, Nature changer, and a way to farm EXP more easily/have the Pokemon be Lvl 100 out of the gate.

Thank you for your feedback! It's definitely a short one, since it had a short deadline, and was technically supposed to be focused on one map. But I hope the amount of variation
    and optional content was enough to extend playtime for people who want to get more out of it. I concede that the secret boss is mostly just spectacle, you don't really get anything out of it but the experience, which could be said about any spectacle really. I also hoped to optimize the Pokemon as much as I could, they all come with set natures, as well as maxed EVs and IVs. Didn't have the time to include TMs, so I hoped the Move Tutor was sufficient for customizing their loadout. Balance was definitely my biggest struggle here, so I especially value feedback with that.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • I was a little worried about the EVs/IVs part, due to my addiction to Radical Red's system of maxing those out. But yeah, the team I had wound up with kinda fell to me just using Greninja and Gardevoir at the end. I wanted to use Ferrothorn, Dusknoir, and Nidoking as well, but Greninja's speed and constant STAB overruled all that. Still, a fun little hack to give me a breather from RR.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I just want to say, I HIGHLY recommend people give this hack a try. It's got an innovative theme that is executed to near perfection, and will only take an hour or so of your time to complete. Additionally, it's got quite a bit of replay value in my opinion. Great work U.Flame!

Anthroyd

Professor
    Years
  • Amazing, one of the most innovative hacks I've played and clearly a first place winner. Highly recommend! The super secret dimensional space-time battle is my favorite part. :)

Last edited:

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I just want to say, I HIGHLY recommend people give this hack a try. It's got an innovative theme that is executed to near perfection, and will only take an hour or so of your time to complete. Additionally, it's got quite a bit of replay value in my opinion. Great work U.Flame!

Amazing, one of the most innovative hacks I've played and clearly a first place winner. Highly recommend! The super secret dimensional space-time battle is my favorite part. :)

Thank you guys! I have you to thank for reaching 1st place in the first place!

Also, another small update, now MAGM is at version 1.2. I fixed some opponents' Pokemon having the wrong abilities, as well as a minor tile error.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • What a fun rom. Are there any plans for mega evolution?

Thanks! Unfortunately, no I won't be adding any features or content. Since it was made entirely within a month, I want it to remain the same experience to show off everything I managed to do in that time. The only updates will be fixes.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2022
    it's a good game. I hope in the future you will make short games similar to this. which has a lot of Pokemon ready to use on PC with the Battle Collossium feature. That will make it look like pokemonshowdown Rom hack version if played on android emulator.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • it's a good game. I hope in the future you will make short games similar to this. which has a lot of Pokemon ready to use on PC with the Battle Collossium feature. That will make it look like pokemonshowdown Rom hack version if played on android emulator.

Great!It is a good rom.

I love this hack. Had a lot of fun, and I recorded my playthrough.

Thank you guys! I'm really glad you all liked it! I left a comment on the YouTube video as well, I enjoyed your playthrough!

Years
  • Played tonight. I quite liked this game, and maybe because it featured CFRU, or focused on battling more, I think it is better than Naillevaihcam. It was another original touch, need to "teleport" across different gyms to fight all trainers and obtain all items before defeating the gym leader.

Back