• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Making A 2 Player RomHack

Days
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    Hi everyone!
    I'm looking to make a two player rom-hack, if it's possible without years to do it.

My background:
    I have coded comfortably in several languages/frameworks and learn new ones extremely easily. (Java, JS, Python, Apex, React.js, SQL, Flask...) Most of what I have done personally is custom web development. I am working on my own game separately from this, no versions released yet since I still need an artist. But I am doing that in Renpy/RPGMaker (Havent decided one way so making starts in both to acquaint myself.)

I haven't decided if this is the way I want to do it yet, but I may use the ending of the game to propose to her. We've already talked about marriage and she said she would be happy to marry me. I just haven't properly proposed yet. More than likely, I won't use this to propose, but if I do, it will be in a way that fits the story I have written to use.

The game I'd like to make:
    I'm looking to make a two player pokemon game, preferably something where two people will solve puzzles together. I want to make something for my girlfriend and I, and since we have played a lot of games co-op together, I thought this would be something cute for us to have.
    Controls: I came up with either switching between two Player characters to separate our own, or prompts to switch.
    Gameplay: Decision based story where the choices we make would affect the outcomes we get, we have played a lot of games like that together and we consult eachother on a lot of choices for these.

Platform: I specifically want a romhack since otherwise I would rather just do completely custom assets and gameplay to do this. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 that I can use to run games, so any suggestions for games to use, I would prefer be DS or Gameboy. I also would like to keep anything done to Gen 3 and later.

NOTES: She is from France so I will be putting French into the game, I will likely include an option to turn it off in the released version, but probably not the initial release.

I would willingly release this too for anyone interested to play it.

The ROM: I would prefer to mostly do it on my own, but maybe some tips on making my own sprite art would be nice! I would like to do a few things myself.
    My other game: I'm only really looking for an artist for this one, since dev work is started on it, I would just need to replace assets to get a version released.
    If you're interested in either, please let me know to reach out to you and I can describe the projects!

Thanks to anyone who comments to help or ask about this!

Back