• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Well, I decided to try my hand at mapping with stock Fire Red tiles, and this is what happened.

Map Name Cesca Hollows

Game N/A

Base ROM Fire Red[English]

Mapping Time About 2 hours

Mapshot
    Spoiler:

Comments Even though it may not look like it, I did a lot of block edits.

Indeed a complicated map. I love how you placed the trees, and there path. The mountain is shape is done pretty well. The grass is placed neatly.

Rating: 8.9/10

Years
    This is the second map i want to get rated well i hope its better than the one before.
    Fire red map of course.
    Spoiler:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Map Rating/Review Thread

the leaders room in the first gym this is supost to be simple as it is the leaders room in the gym the other rooms will be full of other trainers and some puzzels to solve

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Note to everybody I make my maps complex, I could care less if the player is annoyed, it's my style, and they can deal with it. But thanks, for all the rates :)

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Note to everybody I make my maps complex, I could care less if the player is annoyed, it's my style, and they can deal with it. But thanks, for all the rates :)
    i agree with it^^ if we all would pay so much attentio nto palyability like nintendo does then our maps would be as square as their maps
    i consider natural look and feeling and no tile-errors way more important then playablity

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Map Rating/Review Thread

the leaders room in the first gym this is supost to be simple as it is the leaders room in the gym the other rooms will be full of other trainers and some puzzels to solve

Use of tiles: 18/20 - Good use of tiles, really original.
    Playability: 19/20 - Okay, as I am guessing this is a gym, this should be easily playable. But, I take a shine to complicated maps, but I think it's good.
    Creativity: 16/20 - Not really creative, but still... it's a gym.
    Other: 20/20 - Good use of maps, not a single error in this tiny map.
    Overall: 18.3/20 - Very good map, I like it. Not enough creativity, but it's a great map!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    i agree with it^^ if we all would pay so much attentio nto palyability like nintendo does then our maps would be as square as their maps
    i consider natural look and feeling and no tile-errors way more important then playablity
    Yes, thank you. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The only way you can make a map playable, is sacrifice some of the looks, which I prefer not to.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Use of tiles: 18/20 - Good use of tiles, really original.
    Playability: 19/20 - Okay, as I am guessing this is a gym, this should be easily playable. But, I take a shine to complicated maps, but I think it's good.
    Creativity: 16/20 - Not really creative, but still... it's a gym.
    Other: 20/20 - Good use of maps, not a single error in this tiny map.
    Overall: 18.3/20 - Very good map, I like it. Not enough creativity, but it's a great map!

ye like i said this is the final room of the gym the rest of the rooms will be a lot more complex there will be four rooms in total the first will be rather easy to get through the third will be the hardest and the forth wll be simple cus itl be the leaders room
    but thank you im glad that you like it

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Yes, thank you. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. The only way you can make a map playable, is sacrifice some of the looks, which I prefer not to.

Thing is, not all people playing in the map give a hoot about how good it looks from an overhead view. They only see about 40 squares at a time! Sure, good, natural mapping is good, but it's a game, not a mapping showcase!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Thing is, not all people playing in the map give a hoot about how good it looks from an overhead view. They only see about 40 squares at a time! Sure, good, natural mapping is good, but it's a game, not a mapping showcase!
    Well, I like the players to see a good map. Anyways, my maps aren't really that hard to play through, I test them.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    I agree with TBP once again: I want people to enjoy the enviroment. All my maps are easy to play through, even though you cant pass them with only two buttons that you hold for 10 seconds.
    Also I like to challenge the palyers with mazes and riddles some times (like frozen lakes and those things with strength rocks)

anyway, i think this is pointless, we have a different point of view so we wont find a solution for this^^ and this thread is to rate maps and tell what could be done better at them, not to argue about different styles of mapping

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I agree with TBP once again: I want people to enjoy the enviroment. All my maps are easy to play through, even though you cant pass them with only two buttons that you hold for 10 seconds.
    Also I like to challenge the palyers with mazes and riddles some times (like frozen lakes and those things with strength rocks)

anyway, i think this is pointless, we have a different point of view so we wont find a solution for this^^ and this thread is to rate maps and tell what could be done better at them, not to argue about different styles of mapping
    Indeed. I'm not saying maps shouldn't be hard to play through, but that playability is still important.

Okay, I have a new map. I've sorta cropped it a bit, so it may look weird. :\
    Map Name: Deisa Forest
    Map from: Pokemon Moonshine - Hack of FR.
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Yeah. Ignore the grass in the top-right corner, as it's unreachable.

Likewise

Bye.
    Years
    Map Rating/Review Thread

The first map in my restart.
    There is a back story to this.
    The Town sits at the bottom of the volcano, years ago the volcano erupted, leveling the land below thus creating the town.
    The ashes also blended in with the soil making it an ideal growing place for plants
    The mart is the only one for miles.

THe houses aren't final, I'll be changing them.

Sorala canyon.

note: there is more than this map, but its irrelevent and only there so that the border block doesnt look like a giant tile error.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Indeed. I'm not saying maps shouldn't be hard to play through, but that playability is still important.

Okay, I have a new map. I've sorta cropped it a bit, so it may look weird. :\
    Map Name: Deisa Forest
    Map from: Pokemon Moonshine - Hack of FR.
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Yeah. Ignore the grass in the top-right corner, as it's unreachable.

Use of tiles: 19/20 - These are great use of tiles! I remember playing a GTA game-ish with a MARIO PIPE in it.
    Playability: 18/20 - Not easy to go through, but it's great!
    Creativity: 18/20 - Can you be any more creative in a forest? Well, yes.
    Other: 16/20 - Actually, I found a way to reach the grass, so try working a little bit there.
    Overall: 17.8/20 - Very good map, I like it. A bit of work at the top-right, but it's a little bit. About 5 minutes worth.

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    MOUNTIDE TOWN

Spoiler:

The first map in my restart.
    There is a back story to this.
    The Town sits at the bottom of the volcano, years ago the volcano erupted, leveling the land below thus creating the town.
    The ashes also blended in with the soil making it an ideal growing place for plants
    The mart is the only one for miles.

THe houses aren't final, I'll be changing them.

Sorala canyon.

note: there is more than this map, but its irrelevent and only there so that the border block doesnt look like a giant tile error.

8/10
    ~Great

Comments:
    Well, The map has alot of exploration space, and i like the concept; And the fact
    you never used the starter house tiles, you should keep them! Good luck on the restart.
    (My map looks allot like yours!)

----

Mountide Town
    (Mountain Side?)

Map From:
    Pokemon Obsidian, hack of Fire Red.

Comments!
    This map was purly from Imagination. I was editing pal's and just doodled on
    Disturbed's Rombase. Hope Yall Like!
    I might change the path's; they look abit blinding!

Map:
    (Should I Spoiler?)
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Should I create a rombase from these Pal's?
    I really love em!

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    I'm posting these maps cause I want to see if people are willing to play in them, some spaces may be empty but thats to allow events and the player to walk around in.

Name: Bonlite Town
    Credits: Kyledove
    Spoiler:

Name: Route 1
    Spoiler:

Name: Cokoo City
    Spoiler:

Name: Route 2
    Spoiler: