• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2010
    On Anselection's map, I like it because it is very natural looking. Your water pond and waterfall look good, are you planning on making a cave map?
    As always though, there are a couple of things that I would change. In the top left corner, I would bunch the trees together a bit more, right now it looks as though its an open forest that you can walk through. Problem is you cant walk through some of it, which personally would annoy me. You might also want to have a look at this: https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/WaTsErNaMe3/PineTreesGuide-1.png
    That's a guide that has been helpful to me over the years of map making, its just someone's observations on how Nintendo has done tree shadows in FireRed/LeafGreen. Some of the stuff isnt relevant, but I find it helpful to look at the tree shadows placement.
    Overall: 7/10

On Ninja's Route 102, I must say I like it. You seem to have an understanding of how tree shadows are placed (which some people don't), and I like the overall design of the map, how its not just straight lines. I could imagine a real forest being like that, lol. I do semi-agree with Anselection on that the yellow path should be straighter, but I think the other two bits of faded grass (I don't know if he meant them in his comment, :P) are fine as they are.

The only thing I would say to improve would be the path thing, and maybe make the pond a shape other than sqaure..
    7.5/10.

I would also like some opinions on a map that I made:
    Map Name: Azure Town
    Map Game: Made with tilesets from FireRed, Sapphire and myself (the double story blue house is half my creation, half Nintendos, lol).
    Comments: Azure Town is a starting town for a custom region that I am tinkering with. I plan to have a connecting beach map to the south of this map (players will need surf to continue), and a connecting forest to the west of the map. I haven't thought about the map connecting to the top yet, probably some sort of cliff area.
    I am pretty happy with the map so far, however I think the town looks a little bit plain. Any suggestions on making it look a bit more exciting?
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    sasquatchd00d gave me inspiration when I looked at his maps on his dA account. I tried, and it looks like crap. Here it is:

Spoiler:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Map Name: Shroom cave
    Credits: Kyledove and Zein
    Comments:I feel nervous posting right after MoP.Anyway when rating, remember that the top layer doesn't have any rocks on it because it is the roof. This map is not supposed to have been much explored by humans(that should explain the narrow paths and all the little rocks), and there are no border errors in this map so please don't rate down for that.
    Spoiler:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Reposting, too. I hope you like it. ;D
    ~MOP
    Wow, A great map, I see no tile errors, the only thing that bothers me is that the way the trees are placed will produce some border block issues.
    But other than that it amazing.
    9.5/10 ^^

Map Name: Shroom cave
    Comments:I feel nervous posting right after MoP.Anyway when rating, remember that the top layer doesn't have any rocks on it because it is the roof. This map is not supposed to have been much explored by humans(that should explain the narrow paths and all the little rocks), and there are no border errors in this map so please don't rate down for that.
    Spoiler:
    This too is a great map, cave maps are hard to make, but you pulled it off very nicely, you too deserve a 9.5/10

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Reposting, too. I hope you like it. ;D

~MOP

It's great, really, another item to go in your case of masterpieces :D, especially since it's made with Nintendo tiles. It being free of tile errors and connected on all sides makes it free of mistake except for the tree shadowing. Only tree tiles that are directly adjacent to it's corresponding tile have tree shadows, instead of all the tree tiles and in. Love the R\S\E and FR\LG combination you did :3

8.75-9/10. Just fix those tree shadows and add a little more flair, and it should be real purdy :3

sasquatchd00d gave me inspiration when I looked at his maps on his dA account. I tried, and it looks like crap. Here it is:

Spoiler:

No jpeg pwease. >_<

Being a town, it seems pretty boring. Wuold the home owners association want this town to be a part of it? Nah, not at all xD. Where's the urban part of the town, especially since it has it's own laboratory and several houses.

5.5/10 Add more infrastructure and pattern to it, instead of random grass paths that look really bad since they are without any purpose. Add more variety of tree placement, instead of a block after block.

Map Name: Shroom cave
    Spoiler:

No border errors, check. :D

While at first, it was hard for me to see which tiles are obstacles and which are passable, I quickly saw that this is pretty pretty good map :D. The extra levels and the spamming of the rocks add a #D effect, but since are out of the way, are not annoying.

8/10. Add more layers of mountain's around the border, it looks boring without it :P.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Hey posting a route I just made for my hack. :) I didn't insert the buildings yet, so please exempt those building blocks as where my buildings will be.

Spoiler:

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • name: N/A
    game: Fire red
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Credit:
    zeikkku tm: mountain tile!
    Saurav Tree tiles path tiles wild grass tile grass tile (and most of the palletes which i edited)
    Wesley fg Stair tiles.
    Xiros For small tree tile
    Wesley Fg Stair tiles!

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @NarutoActor - Map is too small to properly see.

@omega zero

I find it a bit weird how your diagonally overlapping trees overlap further up than the vertical columns but that might just be me. The only recommendation, other than changing that, is to add flowers to some of the non-accessible bits as they look a bit bare.

Great map though, those are only minor things, 9/10

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    name: N/A
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Credit:
    Saurav Tree tiles path tiles wild grass tile grass tile (and most of the palletes which i edited)
    Wesley fg Stair tiles.
    Wesley Fg Stair tiles!
    Omega Zero For assembling the base and editing grass animation.

First of all, I love the tiles and palettes that you used.

The map just looks totally fine. What I don't like is that why is the grass(some) aren't connected with the other? : O , It just seems weird to me. In my opinion about the lake I think you should play around with it like giving it a different shape so that it'll not be a squarey type. Other than that I can't seem to find any tile errors in the map. 8/10

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Okay I re uploaded it in a different format. Hey posting a route I just made for my hack. :) I didn't insert the buildings yet, so please exempt those building blocks as where my buildings will be. I am trying out a new stly between nintendo and natural. Also I will a sure you there are no border errors, a border can be bigger than 2x2. Also the ledges are supost to give the feel that you are decreasing in elevation.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I was just kinda bored and had a bit of free time :/

Name: River of Separation
    Game: Um, seriously?
    Comments: I thought it looked nice at first by adding a bit of Nintendo style, but I can already see a few flaws.
    And please don't ride my ass about the border errors, it doesn't really matter since it will never be seen in-game.
    Spoiler:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Okay I re uploaded it in a different format. Hey posting a route I just made for my hack. :) I didn't insert the buildings yet, so please exempt those building blocks as where my buildings will be.

Spoiler:

First of all, the map is too empty in most spots. The spots where you have places things, they're rather redundant, as the player can easily bypass them. Every batch of tall grass can be bypassed due to excess spaces near it. Also, your flower placement isn't very good and there will be some border errors. None of the ledges the player can jump off lead to anything except more ledges, and since there is so much space aound them, they are pretty pointless.

Overall, this is rather poor and it doesn't look very natural at all; it's got more open space than a Nintendo style map.

Rating - 3/10.

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • Map name: N/A
    Game:Fire red
    mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map name: N/A
    mapshot
    Spoiler:

Credit:
    Wesley fg Stair tiles.
    Wesley Fg Stair tiles!

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    I was just kinda bored and had a bit of free time :/

Name: River of Separation
    Game: Um, seriously?
    Comments: I thought it looked nice at first by adding a bit of Nintendo style, but I can already see a few flaws.
    And please don't ride my ass about the border errors, it doesn't really matter since it will never be seen in-game.
    Spoiler:

I totally enjoyed a lot looking in your map, It seems pretty cool and nintendo style. But most of the part I love how you do your maps. There are I can't seem to find any tile error. 10/10

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Foregrove City. =P I find something irritating about the middle section, but =|

WHEN WILL I GET TO THE PART THAT I LIKE MAPPING @_@

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Map Name: Route West
    Base: Fire red with SSKD ROM Base

*Image attached and will have to be viewed in a separate window to see at proper size, HUGE map*

Additional Tiles (Apart from ROM base- I take no credit for the main tiles used):
    Bridge: Ripped by 874521, palette edit and inserted by me.

Everything else is either made by me or simply a block edit.

Please rate in a Pros/Cons/Improvements/Rating fashion :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back