• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
  • Well, here are a few maps I made using RPG Maker XP and Poccil Starter Kit.
    I know that most people here only post maps for Hacks, but seeing as there isn't a map rating thread in the Game Making part of the forum, I decided to post them here. So tell me what you guys think!

Map Name: No Name Yet
    Game Made For: No Name Yet
    Comments: There isn't much info on this map, since I'm not sure about any of it yet, I'm planning to make a game with my friend, but we're still working out some things, and I'm not even sure if we'll use this one. Anyway, it's a quite simple starter town and I need some input on how to make it better, since it kind of gives me an empty feeling.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 1?
    Game Made For: No Name Yet
    Comments: Again there isn't much info yet, just randomly named it Route 1. I'm actually quite happy with how this map worked out. It has 4 different exits :P which makes it exiting, and I think me and my friend will probably use this in our game. Anyway, tell me what you guys think, and if things need to be fixed. Oh, and I know about the tree shadow in this map, that still has to be fixed :P
    Map:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Sure NinjaCaterpie, I'll rate :P

Let me start out by saying, it is indeed a truly wonderful map. But, there are some things to be mentioned :P

I like your grass placement, there's enough that the player has to walk through and it's nicely placed. Your tree placement however could be better, there aren't very many, but seeing as this is a canyon style map, I guess that's appropriate, but still I think they could be placed better. The tree placement at the top is a lot better, but around the middle of the map you get kind of sloppy. Then at the bottom it gets better, but then you only placed little trees? I do see that there isn't much room for big trees, but at least try to fit in 1 or two at the bottom :P (really nitpicky I know xD)

Your mountain placement is wonderful, I love the climbing rocks, and the mix of sand, grass and rock is also great. There's one thing that bothers me about the river though. The form is fine, it's just that all those rocks in the water block you from surfing up and down. I guess you have a reason for that, but it would really annoy me if I were playing the game :P.

Another thing I want to mention is that some spots are empty, you could fix that by placing flowers, but I'm not sure if you want to xD. But on the empty sandy parts, you could also place some small rocks to fill it up a bit.

Now these were all minor things, for the rest, this is a really great map and I love it :D

EDIT 2: Oh, and I just noticed why you put those rocks in the water xD Because otherwise you could surf all the way down to the end right away xD
    EDIT 3: Forgot to rate it: 9.2/10 Really, great map!
    Quickly, the Game Dev. Map Rating Thread is right here. Just on the second page of the main forum.

However, I will rate your maps. Before I start, tree shading. You've got a massive problem with tree shading. Any tree that's surrounded by tree should be fully shaded, including the bottom. You don't seem to have done that. Also, the tops of trees should not be shaded if there's no other tree above it.

Anyway...The first one; it's pretty good. I know you just used some house, but it looks a bit funny because the roof changes colour in the middle. Maybe you could edit the palette somewhat or something? The shape of the map is pretty nice, but that little thing up the top. If it doesn't have a use, it's really out-of-place and looks weird. I'm assuming those little square thingies are NPCs, so I'm guessing that's an item of some sort. The flowers are a bit random, too. =|

The second map is pretty good as well, but some of the grass patches look a bit weak and don't have enough substance to them. Other patches are kinda unneeded. The river thing looks kinda weird with all the bits sticking out everywhere. Also, if it's a river, shouldn't it be running? =|

Overall, your mapping is good, but you need to learn tree shading. =|

Woo, now to my latest:
    Name: Flurry Way
    Comments:
    This is Flurry way, its meant to be a map that is accessed later in my game, high up on a mountain. As such it should be a bit difficult to navigate, which is why there are multiple cave entrances, some lead to dead ends, some do not. Any comments are appreciated, how can it be improved?
    Spoiler:
    This map is epic. Simply epic. I absolutely love how the trees gain extra snow cover as you climb; the mountain shape is brilliant; it's all epic. Love the map, but you could make a little more moving space in some places. The middle patch of grass also looks a bit funny. Also, I reckon it would look better if you made the entrances to the caves have an extra layer of mountain on top. It looks a bit funny right now.

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Map Name: Route 1
    Rom Base: Fire Red
    Comments: I fixed up Route 1 and added accessibility to the beach.
    Spoiler:

Also, I made a version with some of the mountain peeking out of the grass. Tell me which is better.
    Spoiler:
    Just bumping my map, please rate.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • [jq]This thread can be used to post a Mapshot of a Map you made for your Hack of any GB(C)/A game, be it Red, Gold, Ruby, Fire-Red, etc.[/jq]

Can we actually keep this thread to ROM Hacking Maps, please? If you made them in any other program kindly move over to the Game Development section. Thanks.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years

• Just bumping my map, please rate.
    Sure, no problem!

First of all I must say, you mapping is great! I also like the original idea of making a first route at the beach ;)

I don't have much to say about this map as I think it's a great use of tiles. Because it has so much variation it doesn't give me an empty feeling. The paths are well done, the beach is well done, the water is well done and the mountain form is well done.

The only thing I have to mention is kind of a personal thing, which is I don't like the parts of the mountains that are directly in the water. I don't know why, but I personally think it looks better if the mountain is on sand, and then connected to water.

Furthermore, I like the second map with the mountain peeking out of the grass more, seeing as it gives the map even more variation. The only weird thing is that the outline of those tiles that allow the map to peek out to the grass is darker than the rest of the outlines of the other mountain tiles.

Then there is one more thing, which is something that has to do with the playability of the map. It's a great map, but there is only one path that leads straight to the exit, you kind of fixed this by making the beach accessible, but there is still not much to do on this map, which is too bad.

I'm sorry, but I really do not have any other things to day to improve your map, as I simply love it.

So rating: 8.5/10 seeing as it's a great map, but the playability of it could be improved.

[jq]This thread can be used to post a Mapshot of a Map you made for your Hack of any GB(C)/A game, be it Red, Gold, Ruby, Fire-Red, etc.[/jq]

Can we actually keep this thread to ROM Hacking Maps, please? If you made them in any other program kindly move over to the Game Development section. Thanks.
    I'm sorry Manipulation, I used to post my hack maps here and I couldn't find a thread for Game Made maps, seeing as it wasn't stickied... Guess I should have searched first. But Ninja Caterpie pointed it out for me :) By the way, Ninja Caterpie, thanks for still rating my maps :D

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Map Name: None

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I decided to put some of the maps that I've made together to form... some of a region. To the left of this one will be a big harbor town, to the north is just another route, and to the right is the beach map that I posted a couple days ago. I still made it like I normally do, (meant to be viewed as a whole, not just in game, so I still map all the parts that you wouldn't see in game) but I kinda screwed up while planning the map (lol, since when do I plan my maps?) and ended up making one cliff too many, but since you can't actually see it in game, I decided it'd be OK to not connect it properly. (Ignore the sign, it's purpose is... difficult to explain.)

This map isn't actually made for a hack, but pretend like it is while rating it. (Connected on all sides.) Oh, and there aren't any trainers or anything on the top half of the map, but there are in the water. (And a pokeball on the part with the secret-base tree.)

I have a feeling I made a lot of tile errors, but I can't see any atm. Please, take a look for me.

Pellas

Undercover
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    Map Name: None

Comments: I decided to put some of the maps that I've made together to form... some of a region. To the left of this one will be a big harbor town, to the north is just another route, and to the right is the beach map that I posted a couple days ago. I still made it like I normally do, (meant to be viewed as a whole, not just in game, so I still map all the parts that you wouldn't see in game) but I kinda screwed up while planning the map (lol, since when do I plan my maps?) and ended up making one cliff too many, but since you can't actually see it in game, I decided it'd be OK to not connect it properly. (Ignore the sign, it's purpose is... difficult to explain.)

This map isn't actually made for a hack, but pretend like it is while rating it. (Connected on all sides.) Oh, and there aren't any trainers or anything on the top half of the map, but there are in the water. (And a pokeball on the part with the secret-base tree.)

I have a feeling I made a lot of tile errors, but I can't see any atm. Please, take a look for me.

Looks kinda boring. 3/10, becouse of the tile errors, but i do like that its connected to all sides.

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
    Years
  • Map Name: Pokemon Center

Comments: I had to take a screensot because I did not think anyone would believe me. Please give Honest criticism because it took ages to do. And as far as I know I am the first to do this.

Mapshot:
    mapscreenshot.png

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Map Name: Pokemon Center

Comments: I had to take a screensot because I did not think anyone would believe me. Please give Honest criticism because it took ages to do. And as far as I know I am the first to do this.

Mapshot:
    mapscreenshot.png
    First off I want to say one thing...GENIUS! I never thought someone would set it up like hg/ss
    You still have somethings to improve on with the map, here's a couple of suggestions...
    1. It is very empty, try putting some potted trees and a table with at least two seats
    2. I don't know what the lady next to nurse joy does, but if you were to remove her you could have space to expand the escalator and make it resemble hg/ss more.
    Now to the rating...
    Mapping: um...I can't say because it is a building
    Empty space: 8/10(great score)
    Originality: 10/10(perfect score
    Tile errors: 10/10(perfect score)
    Total: 9/10(amazing score)
    Comments: Just fix some of the empty space.

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Map Name: Pokemon Center

Mapshot:
    mapscreenshot.png
    This is Awsome! ACtually i have done this one using The HGSS tiles i made.
    I never thought that Kyledove's Inside PC tiles can be set up into an HGSS styled PC.
    10/10 For the Originality :D

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    Map Name: Ludastalion Town

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: This is the first map of my hack, Pokemon White Mist. Please post constructive criticism. Thank you!

Mapshot:
    firsttownnew.png

Luni

Hax
    Years
  • @ Frozen -
    It's not a bad map at all, it's just extremely simple, try adding more things going on, and making it pop out more unless you are trying to go for a more simple styled 1st map of the game. Also, at the bottom of the map with the rocks there is a border error there, possibly extend them up a little bit so you won't have a border error. The tiles work well though and I don't see any tile errors that really stand out so good job with that! Spice it up a bit. 5/10

@ Rexo -
    The outline of the map is very good, it stands out well and pops out a lot, however there are border errors all over this map. I like the combination of the rocks, it looks well done and it seems you probably spent a great deal of time with the map. Just fix up the border errors, the map has great potential, keep up the good work! 7/10

Years
  • SnoworaTown.png

Snowora Town

ROM: FireRed

Game: Fury of Shadows

Credits: Alistair, WesleyFG- tiles

Comments: The last town in the game before Victory Road and the E4. The cave leads to Mt. Blizzard and half of VR inside it. The surf area is where you enter the town. Somebody will heal your Pokemon for free, and his wife will give you a egg( Not telling what's in it, too special.)

Luni

Hax
    Years
  • @Blaziquaza -
    Alright, well you seem to have quite a few errors that I have noticed, starting with the water that you enter there are tile errors all up the coast as the waters do not match each other at all. Another thing is that you have way too many flowers going on.

You are using 2 different tree tops for your borders, one has a pointy top and one has a round top, just fix that in block editor.

I know you are kinda going for something different with half the town being covered in snow and the other half not. But it just seems out of place, as well as the flowers all fine and blossimy in the snow when most likely they would probably be dead or in fact covered by that thick snow the tiles show. As well as the random white trees outside of the snow and in the grass.

On a end note what's with all 3 of those signs so clamped together, is there really a need for ALL 3 of them? Anyways I am kinda in a rush so I didn't look at it all completely but that is what I noticed in a rush.
    Score: 3/10

Pellas

Undercover
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    ROM: Fire Red

Name: Twin Isles

Hack: None really.

Credits: Me, for respriting tiles.

Basicly two maps with a fresh nature, the cave has the MT.EMBER tiles inside, so it is
    heating up the islands and the water.

Last edited:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • ROM: Fire Red

Name: Twin Isles

Hack: None really.

Credits: Me, for respriting tiles.

Basicly two maps with a fresh nature, the cave has the MT.EMBER tiles inside, so it is
    heating up the islands and the water.

This is a nice map, with good rock placement (both water and land). I also like the mountains. However, a few things are bugging me. Your flower placement. Flowers look a lot better diagonally placed, and while this placement does look ok, I think it would be better diagonal. And, the other thing is the amount of 1 tile wide walking spaces there are. They are claustrophobic to the player.

Oops, forgot to rate.
    8.5/10

Last edited:

Luni

Hax
    Years
  • @Pellas -
    The map looks very well done, just a few things that are bothering me is similar to what the poster above me said. Maybe try and open it up a little bit in the amount of tile spaces there are. Another thing that caught my eye is the number of signs you have on the left island, is there a need for every single on of those signs? And on the last note, I know the this doesn't have to do much with the look of the island, but why call it the Twin Islands when neither of the islands are 'twins.' I'm not saying this is a bad name or anything it kinda just threw it off for me a little bit. But another than that I think your map is very well done. Keep up the good work!
    Score: 7/10

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • Name: Forest Hill
    ROM: Ruby
    Game: None
    Comments: I tried something with the ledges to hide the fact that I don't have tiles for grassy tops of mountains.

Forest_hill61219.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back