• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Meet the PokeCommunity'ers #4: Hikamaru (Arctic Monkeys, Ginger Meggs, Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros) [Daily Bloggity Entry #57]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • T2C5Ewx.png

[supporter]Hikamaru[/supporter]

"Meet the PokeCommunity'ers" is a new series of the Daily Bloggity in which I have a one-on-one with specific members of PC in which we can get to know them more. All responses are in their own words, and questions were made on a general basis. If you would like to see a specific user in the next edition, comment below! This will be a weekly series appearing in the Daily Bloggity at 5 PM Eastern Time every Sunday.

Date: 20 April 2014
    Time: 1:52 AM ET
    Mood: Embracing my inner Ron Burgandy

When did you become a member of PokeCommunity and how did you come across it?

The year was 2011. I used to be at another Pokemon forum shortly before coming here - the popular Bulbagarden forums. Sadly I didn't fit in well at all and left the forums just a week after I joined because I was getting power-abused by the staff there. So when I was trying to find another forum to escape to, and when I was searching I came across PC, signed up and the rest is history! Although I once had fear of mod power abuse here too in my first few years, these days it actually hasn't been an issue at all.

What would you say is the biggest difference between your time on Bulbagardens and PokeCommunity?

I think it's definitely the topics and also the performance of the staff. When I was on Bulbagarden, there weren't many topics I could easily respond to at all, but at PC that wasn't much of an issue. Also, I think PC's staff also get the nod for actually caring about their fellow members which is definitely what sets them apart.

What is the significance or origin behind your username?

For 2 years I was known as Hikari10 here, the numbers actually stood for my birth month (October) but as time went on I got kinda bored of the name because it had no significance towards me at all, so around mid-2013 on the battle server I decided to start using the name "Hikamaru" and when I heard name changes were returning that November I decided to register an alt to snap the name up, and finally in January 2014 my main account adopted the name Hikamaru. The name is actually a hybrid of "Hikari" (my usual nickname here, also light in Japanese) and "Mijumaru" (Oshawott's Japanese name, but maru is also a common suffix in male names in Japan). As for what happened to Hikari10? Well, my alt adopted it.

Would you say you have an interest in Japanese culture? Your username seems to have a lot of thought behind it so I'm surprised to see something as unique as that present itself.

I always love how cute a lot of stuff in Japan is portrayed as, along with the very cute words in the language itself. Despite my username's appearance at first glance, it's hard to believe I barely watch any anime. That however, hasn't stopped me from sharing pics of Japanese stuff on Tumblr. Japanese culture, in my eyes is so cute, colorful and really exciting plus I did happen to sometimes learn Japanese words when I was in my first year at high school. It was kinda short-lived because the teacher left the school the following year.

Daily Music - "Do I Wanna Know?" by Arctic Monkeys
    Spoiler:
    Which forum do you see yourself gravitating towards the most and why?

These days you'll probably be finding me in The Welcome Lounge welcoming all those new members, although I do visit the Pokemon sections as well, along with a few other minor visits in some other sections. I used to change my specialty section quite a lot but I know for sure I'll be sticking with TWL for hopefully a long time.

I actually have to say I have seen you a lot around the Welcome Lounge and want to applaud you for all your work! What made you first decide to gravitate towards the Welcome Lounge and why do you continue your work there?

My activity in that section goes all the way back to 2012, when Sheep used to mod the section. I remember the day I saw her turn bold blue, and I always looked up to how friendly her welcomes are. The other mods that have since followed her (Cid, Autumn Reverie and Dragon) were also no exception to this. I've been pretty much inspired by them, and I also like making new friends and being a helping hand, so no wonder I like to refer to it as the friendliest section on PC.

If there was one thing you could improve about this site, what would you like to do? And if there isn't anything you can think of, what would you like to stay consistent?

If I could improve something, maybe include something indicating if a thread is past its month-old activity because seeing thread revivals happen is quite an occurrence, and reporting every single one to a mod can take time. Sometimes members who are new tend to miss that rule, so having an indicator could really help. Other than that, I'm glad with how well PC is going right now.

What is your favorite pokemon and why?

Oshawott of course! I fell in love with the little guy when he acted so cute in the anime, and he was my starter of choice every single time I played a 5th Generation game. In fact, my love affair with Oshawott is so noticeable my entire Tumblr page is themed around it, well not all the stuff I post/reblog there but it's the actual design of the page that's all Oshawott-themed, right down to my URL's name (oshyhikari). Until Oshawott's reveal, Pikachu was my former Poke-mascot and I never thought something even cuter would come along, but oh man Game Freak you proved me wrong. Also kinda helps the fact I adore Water-types a lot.

Daily Comic - "Cooking" by Jimmy Bancks of Ginger Meggs
    Spoiler:
    What is your favorite video game or series and why?

Pokemon, duh. It was hard to believe I was mainly a Sony kid growing up in my days of video gaming, I thought I'd never play a Pokemon game at the time but then on October 1st, 2003 aka my 11th birthday I found myself getting a GBA SP (it was a limited edition tattoo print one, ooh la la) and Pokemon Ruby, and that's where my Pokemon gaming career took off! I had been a general Pokemon fan years before that though, and ever since I started playing the games and when I hear a new generation announced I always want to go out of my way to play it at some point. I'm always going to be a Pokemon fan for years to come.

Would you say you have a favorite region to play in the Pokemon universe?

A tie between Unova and Kalos. I know most got very disappointed by these regions in general due to probably breaking trends that the original four Japan-centric regions had, also people tended to hate most of the Pokemon designs here in comparison to the first four. In fact, I'm a huge contrast to those "disappointed" players. Those two regions combined introduced a lot of my favorites to date.

Who is your favorite video game character and why?

If I'm not talking about Pokemon here, I guess I'm gonna say Ratchet and Clank. It was actually one of the few Playstation-exclusive franchises I actually love, and I really liked the character designs in it. I secretly love the title characters themselves, especially Clank because there's some of his moments that have made me crack up. It pretty much combines two things I love, awesome-looking environments and hilarious cutscenes. I may not have played much of the series outside the original PS2 trilogy but they'll always be among my fave video gaming characters ever.

Considering it seems you're a really big fan of Sony, do you have any thoughts on the their new generation console and how it compares to the Xbox One?

I'm not as much of a Sony girl these days compared to when I was younger, but I guess that's because my love of Pokemon has taken over. As for my thoughts on the PS4, I never played it, let alone the Xbox One. So yeah, can't really compare anything here.

Daily Video - "Hiphopopotamus vs Rhymenoceros" by Flight of the Conchords
    Spoiler:
    Who is your favorite artist/song?

I don't provide a definite answer here because my interest changes every single time. I'll listen to pretty much anything unless if it's of genres I hate like country, classical, jazz, and the one my mother's really in love with... metal. But yeah, I've got pretty diverse taste outside of that so don't be surprised at what I'm posting in the What Are You Listening To? thread.

Do you watch anime? If so, do you have a favorite anime?

I used to watch a lot of anime, but these days I feel like I don't really get the chance to see much because here in Australia where I am, we don't get that much anime unless if you're someone who goes out of their way to get the videos or DVDs of their anime of choice. I did watch the Pokemon anime a lot, but I hated how it's been handled lately. Most of my love from anime isn't for watching the show itself, but rather for character design. So yeah, don't really have a fave right now unless if count my love towards the characters from Puella Magi Madoka Magica lately.

You're from Australia? I didn't know that. What are things like in the land down under?

Well, here we spell some words like the Brits do that the Americans spell differently. We have all these crazy slang words like "barbie" (barbecue), "thongs" (a type of shoe) and we even sometimes call McDonald's "Maccas". And the TV we have here is pretty unique and different, here we get way more occasional ratings flops than in America. Trust me, everything is crazy over here but in a fun way.

Outside of PokeCommunity, what are your favorite hobbies? What interests you?

I'm not good at answering the hobby question these days given how busy I am with having to act as a carer for my mother who's been suffering from diabetes. Some of my fave hobbies to do are well, if I'm not on PC you'll usually catching me posting stuff on Tumblr or doing my video gaming stuff. I did do work in several locations for around 3 years but I took indefinite leave from my last job due to fear of the workers being rude to me. As for interests, I'm interested in internet memes, so yeah you'll occasionally see me posting something hilarious on Tumblr or just having a laugh on PC.

Your boss didn't say anything about the ongoing situation?

Nope, they pretty much just ignored me. The staff at the factory never seemed to help me at all, only scare me. I do plan on eventually trying to find a new job in the near future.

Want to give a shoutout to a fellow PCer for their hard work on the site?

Ugh this is so hard... why? My first one goes towards everyone who frequents the battle server for making it a fun and enjoyable second home to me. The server staff do so much hard work keeping the place free of spammers so I praise them for that. As for PC itself I'll give some shout-outs to Dragon, Peitharchia, Terabyte, Jamais, Dakota, Fairy and Cordelia for their massive dedication to their respective sections. PlatinumDude, Salt&PepperDiner, Wobbu, Aquacorde, Sage Ghetsis and Elaitenstile for being helpful, active posters. Heartouch, Jak, Sheep, Gleam Noiyam, Kouzan, Crackle, Makoto Tachibana, curiousnathan and Jellicent♀ for being such amazing friends and being fun to chat with.

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Hikari is cute. I don't think there's any other member where my opinion of them changed so drastically over the years. Good stuff.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I've watched Hikari over the years and became one of my closest friends. Although we kinda not talk anymore, I'm glad the she became the person she wanted to be. btw this blog series is rly great. wanna see moar tho than just once a week js

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Avant Garde;bt97257 said:
    I've watched Hikari over the years and became one of my closest friends. Although we kinda not talk anymore, I'm glad the she became the person she wanted to be. btw this blog series is rly great. wanna see moar tho than just once a week js
    That's a thought that crossed my mind. The only problem I can see with that is if people don't send me their answers in time I'm essentially screwed, and having it biweekly might have the series lose it's "pizzaz" that I think it's gained over the last few weeks. I don't really know - I'm going to give it some more thought though.

Back