• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Memories

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • Do you have any fond memories of playing RBY/GSC? What were they?

I remember mine was when I finally defeated Whitney in GSC. We all know how much of a pain she was, so it felt amazing defeating her after my 47582030201 try.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    My fondest memories had to be getting a shiny. I didn't even know shinies existed until i saw it. Unfortunately for me it was for such a weak pokemon.

I called it a sparkly. But was quickly informed it was "shiny".

Lets see...actually winning the Bug catching mini game. I had to wait weeks and i didn't know the mechanics too well. But eventually i won when i just said "Forget it, just go with the one that looks the strongest" and i won!

And my favorite of all favorite moments is finding the coolest pokemons in trees. Heracross and Apalm were my favorite pokemon to find just by fooling around and not caring. I especially like Heracross because i caught in the day and it was asleep. I didn't have to cause any damage.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I'll start with Gen 1, and this is as far as I know:

• Beating the champion for my Red run a few months ago, marking it the very first time I beat a main Pokemon game ever since I started playing it 13-14 years ago. This marked the time when it revived my interest in Pokemon greatly.
    • When I first played Pokemon Red, I sort of game over'd since I didn't get the Surf HM, I ran out of money and that's pretty much none I can do. I didn't know that I was supposed to get the Surf HM at the Safari Zone at the time.
    • Seeing Pikachu getting angry at me very often (always turning away from me) in my Yellow run many years ago since I was terrible at it and I couldn't even get past the 1st gym.
    • Took advantage of the Mew glitch in Cerulean City months ago in my Red run for fun. I also tried the Missingno Glitch but I didn't know that it would mess up your Hall of Fame data if you encounter it (even if you don't save it). Still funny to see the mess up though.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Getting out of Rock Tunnel in Red. Seriously.

I cannot tell you how long I spent in that place; multiple times, mind you. For some reason, that puzzle just gave me so many issues as a kid that most of my memories from childhood are from Pallet-Vermilion. The rest of the game is just a twinkle of happiness from getting out of that forsaken cavern! It was like a brand new video game the first time I ventured out onto the rest of route 10 to Lavender.

But, you know, I suppose it did make Kanto seem so much larger back then. I wouldn't really trade the experience... haha.

Years
  • Getting out of Rock Tunnel in Red. Seriously.

I cannot tell you how long I spent in that place; multiple times, mind you. For some reason, that puzzle just gave me so many issues as a kid that most of my memories from childhood are from Pallet-Vermilion. The rest of the game is just a twinkle of happiness from getting out of that forsaken cavern! It was like a brand new video game the first time I ventured out onto the rest of route 10 to Lavender.

But, you know, I suppose it did make Kanto seem so much larger back then. I wouldn't really trade the experience... haha.

I know how you feel, the struggle was real. But that is what made those games so good you had figure things out yourself or go about it from speak of word.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I don't know if this is considered a "fond" memory. But I spent days wondering which fossil I should take. It was brutal.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • I remember being the first one of my school to arrive at the sleeping snorlax in pokemon Crystal and not being able to find out how to continue. I then waited till others got to that point and we somehow found out accidently how to pass it after a while.

Ss4gogeta0

Game Designer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The preorder disc kept me entertained for a long time... I remember always checking the screenshots looking for anything new I could learn...

I got the game around my birthday and the music brought me to tears... I always felt sad for the mom so I let her save money and stuff and when I first saw Totodile it was love at first sight <3.

I also remember in rage of lake a woman talks about a Pink Butterfree, I ended up wasting hours looking for one lol

What I wouldnt give to be young again :/

Back