• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Edge

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
  • Yes. IE will no longer receive feature updates (but l imagine it will have security updates for a little while longer) and only exists so that certain sites — ones that worked in IE11, and some sites with web apps that require IE6 (gross) — can still be loaded.

Interesting. But why didn't Microsoft implement those features in Edge? To make it lightweight?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Seems to me this browser is getting a lot of sympathy just for not sucking, lol. I'm not one to be running a potato unless I need to, Firefox opens near-instantaneously, and back when I did run potatoes, Opera took the cake for speed. And it has add-on support, unlike Edge.

I wish Microsoft the best of luck with this project, but honestly if they want any reasonable market share they're going to have to bring more to the table than "this isn't our old awful product!"

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Seems to me this browser is getting a lot of sympathy just for not sucking, lol. I'm not one to be running a potato unless I need to, Firefox opens near-instantaneously, and back when I did run potatoes, Opera took the cake for speed. And it has add-on support, unlike Edge.

I wish Microsoft the best of luck with this project, but honestly if they want any reasonable market share they're going to have to bring more to the table than "this isn't our old awful product!"

Not sure if Internet Explorer 11 is what I'd call awful, and not sure if I'd call Edge a potato. It's just lacking in features, but I don't really care about these fluff - and if you want that add-on support, it's coming. Just not now.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Not sure if Internet Explorer 11 is what I'd call awful, and not sure if I'd call Edge a potato. It's just lacking in features, but I don't really care about these fluff - and if you want that add-on support, it's coming. Just not now.
    "Potato" in this context is a euphemism for a garbage PC. You should know that :b

Edge isn't anything special right now, and it's going to have to do more than merit Microsoft's name and be Opera 2: Electric Boogaloo with speed + add-ons. Chrome and Firefox are backed by open-source development, and Microsoft has open-sourced their work before. I doubt they'd do it with this pet project, though.

In fact, I think it being backed by a large, well-known corporation is the only thing it'd have on Opera! Unless it does something cool that I haven't seen already. Not many people know/care about Opera because they find it so irrelevant as it is. "What's that, again?"

One of the things that always sold me for Opera is that each tab was its own process, enabling it to take advantage of multithreading and >4GiB of RAM easily despite being 32-bit.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    "Potato" in this context is a euphemism for a garbage PC. You should know that :b

Heh. In my experience, Internet Explorer 11 runs well enough on potatoes with smartphone-grade SoCs. That should make things much clearer. Usually, if I see Internet Explorer being slow, it's likely to be something else bogging things down at this point.

Edge isn't anything special right now, and it's going to have to do more than merit Microsoft's name and be Opera 2: Electric Boogaloo with speed + add-ons. Chrome and Firefox are backed by open-source development, and Microsoft has open-sourced their work before. I doubt they'd do it with this pet project, though.

In fact, I think it being backed by a large, well-known corporation is the only thing it'd have on Opera! Unless it does something cool that I haven't seen already. Not many people know/care about Opera because they find it so irrelevant as it is. "What's that, again?"

Sometimes, being itself and not having any fluff is basically the thing. Is Edge anything special? No? Do people care anyway? Likely, no unless you're an enthusiast. In fact, I find Edge to be the kind of browser for people that just want a browser and nothing more, and it fits that role perfectly.

I think I'd put more weight on what a browser is actually capable of than whether it's backed by a huge company or if it's open source. Makes me wonder why did Opera get stuck on the desktop.

One of the things that always sold me for Opera is that each tab was its own process, enabling it to take advantage of multithreading and >4GiB of RAM easily despite being 32-bit.

You might haven't notice it yet, but that's precisely what everyone but Firefox is doing right now. :) (I wonder what's the state of the project to make Firefox multi-process?)

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Heh. In my experience, Internet Explorer 11 runs well enough on potatoes with smartphone-grade SoCs. That should make things much clearer. Usually, if I see Internet Explorer being slow, it's likely to be something else bogging things down at this point.

Sometimes, being itself and not having any fluff is basically the thing. Is Edge anything special? No? Do people care anyway? Likely, no unless you're an enthusiast. In fact, I find Edge to be the kind of browser for people that just want a browser and nothing more, and it fits that role perfectly.

I think I'd put more weight on what a browser is actually capable of than whether it's backed by a huge company or if it's open source. Makes me wonder why did Opera get stuck on the desktop.

You might haven't notice it yet, but that's precisely what everyone but Firefox is doing right now. :) (I wonder what's the state of the project to make Firefox multi-process?)
    I dunno if it matters for my Firefox because it's 64-bit, though. At least for RAM, anyway.

And I see what you mean about Edge being that browser that's enough for most people. And it seems appropriate that it occupy that non-extraordinary but de facto sort of niche as a browser - downloading Firefox for your mom to have a competent, extensible browsing experience may not be necessary anymore!

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I dunno if it matters for my Firefox because it's 64-bit, though. At least for RAM, anyway.

It does matter, and the reason isn't just more addressable RAM. Mutli-process parallelism boasts superior fault tolerance (a crash in one tab won't affect the rest of the system) and it allows the browser to sandbox things more effectively - tabs and processes aren't in a one-to-one ratio: in practice rendering, JavaScript execution, plugins and other tasks are separated into different processes to limit the damage a vulnerability can cause.

And I see what you mean about Edge being that browser that's enough for most people. And it seems appropriate that it occupy that non-extraordinary but de facto sort of niche as a browser - downloading Firefox for your mom to have a competent, extensible browsing experience may not be necessary anymore!

Yeah, this is probably true since Edge is doing well with regard to standard implementation. Last time I checked it was neck and neck with Firefox in ES6 support. Let's hope it stays that way so we don't have another IE6.

Years
  • So I began using Edge a little more recently, and I have to say that one thing I am not impressed with is the lack to be able to choose where you want to save a file.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I do not appreciate Microsoft Edge's search bar saving websites you visited most often, because it shows people irl and spies what you're looking at on your computer, especially if includes something NSFW, thus ruining your privacy. I wish there was a way to turn that off.

Years
  • I do not appreciate Microsoft Edge's search bar saving websites you visited most often, because it shows people irl and spies what you're looking at on your computer, especially if includes something NSFW, thus ruining your privacy. I wish there was a way to turn that off.
    I hope you realize that any browser does that, right? If you're worried about it so much, then just clean your history/cookies/cache or simply use InPrivate browsing.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I'm loving how lightweight and minimalistic Edge is. I also love how it looks stylistically.

However, I'm having a hard time with some websites that overwhelm you with ads, so I'd love an adblocker-type extension on the browser. I generally leave AdBlock off unless I'm forced to, as I like supporting webmasters. I think the problem is that there's a vicious cycle of people using AdBlock, resulting in webmasters allowing more obnoxious ads on their sites, thus resulting in more people using AdBlock.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • I don't see a point to Edge at all. I like minimalistic, but there are basically no options whatsoever. And, for a browser to lack support for addons / extensions in 2015 is unacceptable. And yes, I know that they plan on supporting them in the future. Edge seems like a half-ass attempt (lack of a better term) at replacing IE. And it is awful in html5 benchmarks, which is a large concern for anyone who looks for something futureproof.

There's nothing to make me use it over Chrome, for eg.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I don't see a point to Edge at all. I like minimalistic, but there are basically no options whatsoever. And, for a browser to lack support for addons / extensions in 2015 is unacceptable. And yes, I know that they plan on supporting them in the future. Edge seems like a half-ass attempt (lack of a better term) at replacing IE. And it is awful in html5 benchmarks, which is a large concern for anyone who looks for something futureproof.

There's nothing to make me use it over Chrome, for eg.

I think the latter half of this comment is misinformed on two counts.

Firstly, many of those features are actually not stable specifications. Since the features that Firefox is missing are mostly unstable or experimental specifications, one can infer that Chrome is just implementing every feature before it gets properly standardised. So technically, Edge isn't doing that badly with regard to stable standards.

Secondly, that only includes HTML5 which doesn't include everything. When one looks at ECMAScript compatibility, Edge is actually beating Chrome, and, to top that off is actually beating them in their own benchmarks (according to some sources). A depressing amount of ES6 is hidden behind experimental JavaScript flags in Chrome.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I tried using Edge for a few weeks. The lack of extensions and poor html5 support meant I couldn't use it anymore, but I was impressed by the speed of it.

I'm using Firefox now, as Chrome kept on freezing when I used the snap tiles function in windows.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Out of curiousity: does Edge have APNG support? As far as I know, IE didn't.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I can't wait until Microsoft Edge gets loaded with some sort of syncing feature. I'm currently using around three Windows 10 devices, and it's an inconvenience to not be able to transfer browsing data and whatnot between them, like how things are done in Chrome.

Overall, though, Edge is a great new browser. I'm a lot fond of its quickness and simplicity. I'm looking forward to see it improve!

Blurryface

Cheer up, baby.
    Years
  • Oh, man. I stopped using Edge and went to Chrome because it's just not my style yet. I like that you can customize in the settings from a light theme to a dark theme, and the overall smoothness of it. But it is extremely sensitive when trying to swap tabs around. Every time I try it just disappears. I also have a problem with it closing on it's own, thus making me lose progress on whatever I was doing, and then re-opening the tab either a few minutes or an hour later exactly as I left it when it closed. I'm also waiting for it to add extensions like Chrome or just an Ad-Blocker because it really needs one to be perfect.

Other than these things, I rather enjoy Edge, it's design, everything.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    But it is extremely sensitive when trying to swap tabs around. Every time I try it just disappears. I also have a problem with it closing on it's own, thus making me lose progress on whatever I was doing, and then re-opening the tab either a few minutes or an hour later exactly as I left it when it closed.

These issues haven't been affecting me much as of late, but I'm glad I'm not the only one facing them, haha.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
  • Personally, I've never used IE since I have my own computer. We all complain about its slowness and useless parts right? I'm not a pc maniac but IE was always a useless tool in my pc so I prefered other browsers.
    Spoiler:

But I must say when I upgrade to Windows 10, I'm impressed because there was a new browser on my pc: Microsoft Edge. It definitely looks like and sooo familiar to IE but I think you are getting used to it so easily and it is much better than IE.

1) It is faster.

2) Useful. Not anymore stupid tools or adds

3) There's an Inprivate window option! This is my favorite.

4) Basic and quick design; that is what I look for first on a browser.

Theese are my opinion on Microsoft Edge. But, personally again, I still don't use it. Chrome and Firefox is much better. :laugh:

Back