• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Minority Rights vs Human Rights or something

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2014
I just wanted to stop in and address this one little thing here.

The problem with the word "privileged" being used is that there's this underlying implication that the privileged person is the bad guy simply because of their race/gender/sexuality. It comes off as a personal attack. Saying: "Straight white men are privileged blah blah blah" basically translates to:

"Straight white guy reading this post, YOU are a monster because you are straight, white, and male, and you should feel guilty for the oppression of non-straight people, non-white people, and women"

I think you should go back and read the conversation more closely. We've addressed this several times. And please don't ask oppressed groups to "understand" and be more considerate of the feelings of members of privileged groups, especially when you're refusing to understand my feelings.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think you should go back and read the conversation more closely. We've addressed this several times. And please don't ask oppressed groups to "understand" and be more considerate of the feelings of members of privileged groups, especially when you're refusing to understand my feelings.
Look, all I was trying to do was attempt to explain why some people get uppity when the word privileged is used, because I think that a lot of people use that word but don't understand how it makes the other side feel. Yes, perhaps you and Grey Wind already understand what I said in my previous post, but didn't have it aimed at any person in particular. It was meant to be a statement for all the people who come to D&D.

The reason why I said "Certainly that's something the oppressed people can understand?" is because I get the feeling that sometimes straight white men are hated simply because of factors beyond their control (their race, gender, and sexuality), and homosexuals, non-whites, and women are hated by some people for the exact same reason.

And please explain how I'm being inconsiderate and "refusing to understand your feelings", because I'm not seeing how I'm doing those things.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
And please explain how I'm being inconsiderate and "refusing to understand your feelings", because I'm not seeing how I'm doing those things.

You're being inconsiderate because you won't blindly concede that you're auto-privileged.

"You're being inconsiderate" is the number one platitude any social justice warrior resorts to.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's sometimes the intention of someone saying "check your white privilege" to mean "you should feel guilty for being white." It doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened enough times that it's easy to misconstrue it as a personal attack.

And white people don't have compete privilege. If you're a white person, I guarantee if you went out and said "I'm proud of being white", people would look at you like you're a KKK member.

I'm fairly certain "privilege" does not equate to "ability to do whatever you want without judgment from anyone". Your argument of "you don't have complete privilege because you get weird looks if you say something that upsets people" doesn't really have any relevance; that distorts the accepted definition of privilege into something so far from its original meaning that it no longer means anything at all.

I spend a lot of time on a fairly popular feminist-leaning website, and have noticed something interesting: in the somewhat common trolls or hate-readers that frequent the website, they seem to regularly cite this "check your privilege" as an insult used to dismiss their super-important thoughts. Yet, in the year+ or so I've spent on this website daily, I have never seen a feminist utter that phrase. And I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen that have actually talked about privilege as a dismissal of the person they're responding to.

The problem is, privilege is an important concept that can't just be edited out of our dictionaries because people get defensive if it's suggested they benefited from circumstances beyond their control in their life. For example, a group of researchers sent out emails looking for doctoral research opportunities with professors in thousands of top US schools; in nearly every field, the professor was more likely to respond to a male name than a female name. In business, men were responded to 87% of the time as opposed to 62% of women. This is just one of the latest examples; I actually found it trying to source a study I read before on how when women negotiate, they are judged harshly while men are seen in a positive light, unbalancing how negotiation affects salaries and attitudes of bosses towards employees. This is what people mean when they talk about privilege. They mean that, if Billy and I are the same person and do the same things, Billy is more likely to succeed than I am. Billy got a leg up by nature of being a man. Does this make him a bad person, or lazy, or not worthy of respect? Of course not. But that does mean that if Billy looks at things like a women-only networking society and complains that he succeeded through normal channels like emailing professors so women should do the same, he is speaking through privilege.

Also, Undertaker (not going to go back and quote for the notification sorry, too lazy):

A privilege is something that can be taken away, and last I checked, my skin color and gender ain't changing.

The definition of privilege in Merriam-Webster is "a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others". The secondary definition is "to give an advantage that others do not have to (someone or something)". There may be a connotation of privilege being able to be taken away in certain contexts, but it's certainly not required.

Tek

Years
Do you think it's better to fight specifically for the rights of minorities (think lgbt people or poc) or to fight for general, all encompassing "human rights"?

I think the question is flawed. The way that you fight for universal human rights is to examine individual groups and see the ways in which their rights, as human beings, are either being upheld or not being upheld. In other words, these are not opposing strategies, but two parts of the same process.

And I'd like to point out that the process of creating and ensuring justice begins with recognizing injustice. I'm looking at you, UndertakerFreak.
Let me ask you, how often do you check YOUR privileges? Your shelter privilege, your first world privilege, your three meals a day privilege, etc. You'd tell me "well I acknowledge that other people have it worse than me." Fantastic, so what are you doing about it? How are you making the situations of the less fortunate better? Acknowledging they exist? You're doing nothing, and that's why this movement is nothing more than a bowel movement.

An analogy to make my point clear: When a doctor begins the process of healing a sick person, what is the first step? It is making observations; seeing what is sick or broken and pointing it out. The observation is not the cure, but it is the necessary prerequisite for healing to begin.

In fact, my first statement can also be made clear by analogy with the human body. We do not take care of our bodies by ignoring that the parts are all different from each other. We notice the ways that the parts are different from one another in structure and in function, in order to care for them appropriately. Furthermore, we do not evaluate the overall health of the body by refusing to look at different parts, instead we look at each part and make sure that each one is functioning properly.

This last bit is basically off-topic, but vaguely related and very important to me:

My hands are different from my feet,
but both are my body.
Humanity is like that, too.
I don't make my feet walk by effort, using my hands,
I let the feet do the walking.
Life is like that, too.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Yeah, but not really in the same way as you're describing. The aim of social activism is to tear down the power imbalances between privileged and marginalised groups and to destroy the racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia that's been ingrained into society. Preaching some "we are all one race" thing ignores years of oppression and won't solve any of the problems that are implanted into the world.
Where? And how so? Care to expand? It seems you haven't at this point yet.

I was using trans people as an example.....
As was I everyone else.

There are trans people being murdered all the time
What kind of vague, baseless emotion-trip ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ is this?

that erases people's identities and practically ignores the difficulties of marginalised groups?
What you're telling me is that setting aside our differences as a species is going to lead to an Ayn Rand-style dystopia. Is that right?

Also, I'm not sure how acknowledging that everyone is different and comes from a different background divides us? Like, I can kind of see where you're coming from but recognising that marginalised groups are in fact marginalised and face different experiences to each other and to straight/white/cis people isn't what's causing inequality.
The thing is you're not simply "acknowledging". Undertaker outlined how much more you're doing, see above (if you bothered to do more than skim)

"Privilege is the idea that in human society, some groups benefit from unearned, largely-unacknowledged advantages that increase their power relative to that of others, thereby perpetuating social inequality"
That's the dictionary definition of privilege.... :/
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/privilege?q=privilege
Oxford English Dictionary said:
A special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people
That's the dictionary definition of privilege… Where's this boogeyman of advantages and immunities we apparently possess?

You need to stop blowing things out of proportion and maybe start debating a little?
You know, I'll share a secret about debating with you. A really clever way of combating someone in an argument is to use your flaws and weaknesses as ammunition; you're attacking them while covering your ass at the same time, since they look like idiots if they try to throw those insults back at you. Isn't that clever?

Because all the rebuttal I've heard here is "lol tumblr"
Are you reading what what we're writing, at all? Or just ignoring what you want and going with the closest minor fallacy you can attach yourself to?

and it's becoming pretty obvious that you have no concept of what oppression means.
As a victim of child molestation, I find this beyond obscene.

This is so sad and bitter.
This honestly made me so angry.
Appeal to emotions much?

You're being inconsiderate because you won't blindly concede that you're auto-privileged.

"You're being inconsiderate" is the number one platitude any social justice warrior resorts to.
TumblrThirdWorldPrivilege.jpg

Sir Codin

I'm fairly certain "privilege" does not equate to "ability to do whatever you want without judgment from anyone". Your argument of "you don't have complete privilege because you get weird looks if you say something that upsets people" doesn't really have any relevance
Wait, what are you even talking about? The statement I bolded just proves my point. You get one person saying "I'm proud of being [gay/a woman/black/etc] and everyone is like "wow, what a trooper, he accepts who he is!" Then you get a white straight male saying he's proud of who he is and he's labeled a bigot.

That's called "double standard." Either let everyone be proud of who they are, or don't let anyone be proud of who they are.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2014
Look, all I was trying to do was attempt to explain why some people get uppity when the word privileged is used, because I think that a lot of people use that word but don't understand how it makes the other side feel. Yes, perhaps you and Grey Wind already understand what I said in my previous post, but didn't have it aimed at any person in particular. It was meant to be a statement for all the people who come to D&D.

The reason why I said "Certainly that's something the oppressed people can understand?" is because I get the feeling that sometimes straight white men are hated simply because of factors beyond their control (their race, gender, and sexuality), and homosexuals, non-whites, and women are hated by some people for the exact same reason.

My response to you was rude and I'm sorry. I understand that you weren't necessarily targeting that at me. I guess I'm just sick of people responding to feminist issues with "but think of the men!!" and I got angry. But I understand that you weren't saying that. And the "refusing to understand your feelings" part also shouldn't have been directed at you.

That's really exactly the crux of the issue, minority rights are largely just at the opposite end of the spectrum of groups like the KKK. And by not understanding her feelings she means if you don't agree with her ideology that all women are always demonised all the time you are an offensive misogynistic pig.

Wow. Not at all what I said. I can't even begin to point out all the things that are wrong with just this paragraph of yours, so I'm not even going to start. But that's not my ideology at all and I really don't understand where you're getting that idea?

Reactions: Nah

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wait, what are you even talking about? The statement I bolded just proves my point. You get one person saying "I'm proud of being [gay/a woman/black/etc] and everyone is like "wow, what a trooper, he accepts who he is!" Then you get a white straight male saying he's proud of who he is and he's labeled a bigot.

That's called "double standard." Either let everyone be proud of who they are, or don't let anyone be proud of who they are.

I'm talking about you saying that a white person does not have "complete privilege" because they can't say anything they want without upsetting people. That's not what privilege is. I'm responding directly to what you said.

Sir Codin

I'm talking about you saying that a white person does not have "complete privilege" because they can't say anything they want without upsetting people. That's not what privilege is. I'm responding directly to what you said.
Oh, I see, gotcha.

I'm still standing by what I said about double standards, though.

Reactions: Tek

Tek

Years

I guess I'll jump in between you two here. Let's look at a couple of ways in which whites are priveliged over other ethnic groups. Then we'll look at how women are priveliged over men. The point here is to illustrate that inequality exists, and furthermore, that imagining there is a single group with all of the privilege is incredibly simplistic.

Note that this is a bit far from the original question, but the argument here did stem from that question, so I'm going to run with it after I finish this run-on sentence, ok? Cool.

White American privilege over Black Americans

I was listening to NPR News on 89.3 KCUR last week. It was an interview with a black man and a white man who shared a last name, which I can't remember right now (the black dude has a brother in the NFL). Let's refer to these two as W and B.

The reason that the two have the same last name? W's ancestral grandfather owned B's ancestral grandfather, as if B's ancestor were a chair or a painting. The details of the interview are fascinating and moving, but what really got me was the final statement by W. He said (more or less) that even though he had worked hard for what he had in life, he could not avoid the fact that he had a "running start" compared to B.

This is because, seven or eight generations ago, B's family started from scratch, with no assets, no connections, no inheritance. But W's family had all of those things. Which means that when the members of each successive generation fell on hard times - injury, illness, mandatory legal expenses like taxes and vehicle registration - W's family had a significant advantage over B's family... an advantage of stored resources which had been handed down.

This is "privilege" because the later generations of W's family did nothing to earn these resources; they were simply born into the right family.

White American Privilege over Hispanic Americans

There are numerous examples of this, I'll present a simple one. It's becoming a regular practice in some cities to stop Hispanic Americans outside of courthouses. http://vdlf.org/the-interrogation-was-illegal-ice-raids/

Essentially, when latinos go to court to pay tickets or whatever else, they are stopped and coerced into revealing their immigration status. The officers are stopping people with no criminal record, who are doing nothing visibly wrong, and who are in fact upholding their civic duty by taking responsibility for their actions.

Now, officers coerce people into incriminating themselves all the time. It's my understanding that they receive training to be effective in this coercion. But the difference here, and the part that makes whites privileged over latinos, is that latinos are being routinely questioned and detained simply because they are latino.

By comparison, an average white woman doesn't have to worry about plainclothes police officers stopping her after she pays a traffic fine, trying to dig up some other crime that they can penalize her for. And this is not by virtue of anything that she has done personally, but simply because she was born white.

Women's privilege over men

I'll try to keep this short, especially because it was probably already covered in the MRA thread. Men are routinely, almost universally shamed and ostracized for being overly emotional. If you are a man, and you cry about something at work, it's very likely that some or all of your coworkers will never hold you in the same regard. You've displayed weakness and lost respect. Really, all you have to do is be somewhat girly in any way to start getting treated poorly.

Now, I haven't been to every workplace or every region of the country, or every country. I am speaking from my personal experience. I have witnessed this type of behavior in pretty much every social setting I've been in. This is also congruent with the experiences of the people I know and talk to.

Obviously, girls don't receive poor treatment for acting girly. But did they choose to be born as girls? No.

This is our third example of privilege, and it is intended to show that the very same group that has privileges (white males) is also a victim of under-privilege. I don't know if that's a real word, but you get what I'm saying, right?

Finally, two things about this image:

For one, the fact that humans outside of the first world struggle for basic, physiological needs absolutely does not nullify the belongingness needs some of us here lack. Equality is also a real need, it is an important need, and it is appropriate for people who have secured their other basic needs to pursue this one.

Secondly?

debate-2.jpg

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
Yeah, usually because it's full of sententious, self-righteous chodes who preach about changing the world while doing essentially nothing. Hipster buffoons who want us all to feel bad for being born a certain way while they conveniently ignore the "privileges" they possess.

Stuff like this actually makes me wonder if people really visit tumblr or just hear it through second-hand stories because if anything from what I see people are very, very conscientious of their so called "privileges".

Ypu just don;t think they have a legitimate gripe because you're one of them.

Bit of a leap since I've never seen or talked to you before but ok.

Also, what misogyny have you purged from your life? I'm curious.

I literally thought at a point it was ok for me to say that I find the female body completely repulsive and never thought of the repercussions that brings, for one. I also avoid jokes that clearly target women.

Your forum signature couldn't be any more spot-on, chief.

Ok? You don't really know the context behind it, so you couldn't be more wrong :( Like... you're laughably wrong. Maybe the "drivel" part since you disagree with me, but whatever.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Stuff like this actually makes me wonder if people really visit tumblr or just hear it through second-hand stories because if anything from what I see people are very, very conscientious of their so called "privileges".

I have a fanbase of 38,000 on YouTube. Nearly 5,000 of them on my personal Facebook, a ton more on my Facebook page, 3,000 on Twitter, nearly a thousand on Tumblr, etc. I see a LOT of stupid ♥♥♥♥, and most of it manifests itself in two ways: the dumb "90 percent of you will get this wrong!" pictures on Facebook, and the social justice warrior posts on Tumblr. I swim in these things EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. So I'd suggest you take some time to figure out just who I am before you assume how much time I spend on Tumblr.

I literally thought at a point it was ok for me to say that I find the female body completely repulsive and never thought of the repercussions that brings, for one. I also avoid jokes that clearly target women.

So, you traded your sense of humor in for a pair of social justice roller skates. Fantastic. This means nothing to me. You're going to sit there and talk about the repercussions of telling woman jokes, but I guarantee you that you've told other jokes since declaring yourself "misogyny free" that some other group would find objectionable.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
I have a fanbase of 38,000 on YouTube. Nearly 5,000 of them on my personal Facebook, a ton more on my Facebook page, 3,000 on Twitter, nearly a thousand on Tumblr, etc.

Congrats?

I see a LOT of stupid ♥♥♥♥, and most of it manifests itself in two ways: the dumb "90 percent of you will get this wrong!" pictures on Facebook, and the social justice warrior posts on Tumblr. I swim in these things EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. So I'd suggest you take some time to figure out just who I am before you assume how much time I spend on Tumblr.

1) You should take a valium or something.
2) You're the one making assumptions if anything - My post was more or less a general trend I've just seen on the internet.

So, you traded your sense of humor in for a pair of social justice roller skates. Fantastic.

Ignoring the fact sense of humor is subjective (I have a dry sense of humor personally), I'm sorry I don't find jokes that attack women that funny anymore? Lol damn that ♥♥♥♥♥ should go back to the kitchen! Blondes are dumb xDDD I'm so funny xDDD like really? It's not so much SOCIAL JUSTICE ROLLER SKATES as much as I genuinely do not find it funny anymore.

This means nothing to me. You're going to sit there and talk about the repercussions of telling woman jokes, but I guarantee you that you've told other jokes since declaring yourself "misogyny free" that some other group would find objectionable.

Not particularly - but if unintentionally did it, then I would want someone to correct me. You're making it sound like I go completely out of my way not to be offensive when in reality it's just common sense.

I sure do hope that me no longer saying that I'm repulsed by the female body means something to you though. I mean you conveniently didn't touch up on that when I'd say that's a huge facet of misogyny taken out of my life but whatever.

Years
Social justice is trying to do good things but for very, very wrong reasons. It's wrongly assuming that society runs on a secret conspiracy where all the white, straight men have a club meeting every Thursday where we discuss new ways to "oppress" you. That doesn't happen and saying that all non-minorities are innately better off than you is incorrect. There are men that face injustice as well as women, whites as well as blacks. You should be addressing all disadvantage rather than saying only certain people are worthy of assistance. I can imagine being out of a job and going to a welfare office run by some of the posters in this thread "HA! You're a cis, white, straight male, you can't be disadvantaged, tough luck pig!"
Literally nobody thinks this. Also, white privilege means that you don't face difficulties for being white, the same way straight privilege means that you don't face difficulties for being straight. Nobody ever said that privileged people couldn't have problems so for the love of god take a step back and stop blowing the idea of privilege out of proportion.

The people you are trying to defend are not oppressed and they have rights. Everybody does and ever since the civil rights movement in the 60's laws specifically state that you all have the same rights regardless of race, gender etc. For example the right for adults to vote, free speech, the right to a lawyer.
Having rights does not mean that you don't face oppression. Are you seriously going to tell me that poc and white people are equal in society, or lgbt+ people and straight people? Don't be so ignorant. It might be easy for you as a straight white male to just write it off as individual cases or not important or something, but it's not. As long as you can still be murdered and treated with disdain for your sexuality things can not be called equal.

Social justice warriors violate human rights by attempting to paint the picture that only people of minority status can have their rights violated. That's false and against the very spirit of the rights themselves.
LMAO this is so ridiculous. That doesn't happen.

If I'm going to support people who are disadvantaged it is because they are people, regardless of what label you slap on them. White, straight men are people too and they do not get life on easy mode like you might think, social justice is simply manipulation of historical guilt in an attempt to receive special treatment.
I do not think that they get life on "easy mode". I think that being straight automatically gives you a certain amount of privilege that a gay person doesn't have.

I bet you can all conveniently ignore things that are actually advantageous to women in this world. Having a pretty smile and a pair of tits will get you positive sexism, perhaps less attractive women do not receive those benefits but I don't hear models complaining when they get massive pay checks for being an alluring sex object.
So being seen as nothing more that a sex object is an advantage.... ok....

The worst thing I see is the expectation that women, gays or ethnic groups should be included into entertainment simply for the sake of diversity. It's taking away creative freedom and trying to force yourselves as being special.
No it's not? Representation is incredibly important in the media. Honestly, I do not understand why people get so uppity over it. Like what, do you want every character to just be white and straight? Even ignoring the social justice side of things, it's just so much more interesting when characters have completely different backgrounds. One of the things that makes shows like OITNB and even Community so good is that they have such diverse casts that make for more interesting watching. Why do you care if people want diversity?

Gay pride parades are ridiculous as well, pride in something you are arguably born into. Imagine a straight or white pride parade, it would be called misogynistic or racist but minorities can get away with it.
"minorities can get away with it" what is your damage dude.... who hurt you...

That's really exactly the crux of the issue, minority rights are largely just at the opposite end of the spectrum of groups like the KKK. And by not understanding her feelings she means if you don't agree with her ideology that all women are always demonised all the time you are an offensive misogynistic pig.
Did you seriously just compare people campaigning for their rights to the KKK.... oh my god....

Expand that racism etc. are ingrained into society? Think about how hetero-normative and whitewashed society is, how naturally racist, sexist and homophobic jokes are made. Oppression isn't just people having their feelings hurt.

What kind of vague, baseless emotion-trip ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ is this?
My point was that when there are people being murdered for being trans (or any other minority), telling people to love each other isn't going to solve any problems. We're taught to be kind from a young age and ♥♥♥♥ like this still happens. If we want change we have to tackle these issues at their core and tear down the prejudiced views society has. Telling people to play nice won't do anything.

What you're telling me is that setting aside our differences as a species is going to lead to an Ayn Rand-style dystopia. Is that right?
No. For one thing, I don't think setting aside our differences is going to work. When I talk about erasing identities, I mean that by preaching some sort of "we are all one race" thing you're ignoring the differences between the issues minorities face and ignoring how ingrained into society racism/homophobia etc. are.

The thing is you're not simply "acknowledging". Undertaker outlined how much more you're doing, see above (if you bothered to do more than skim)
Can you expand on this? Because I replied to Undertaker's posts so...

Appeal to emotions much?
I have every right to be angry when someone tries to blame the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ homophobia I have to put up with on me. Like really, black people have bee treated as second class citizens for hundreds of years, and you're blaming ME for social inequality? You're delusional.

As a victim of child molestation, I find this beyond obscene.
Both of those were replies to Undertaker. Sorry if it came across as offensive.

I still haven't gotten any replies to these:

You both need to stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that being privileged automatically makes you a bad guy who's been oppressing his whole life and I never said that I'm not privileged?? (like I literally mentioned that I won't understand racism fully because I'm white). I don't know why you have such knee jerk reactions to the mention of privilege but it's stupid, and you both need to suck it up and realise that yeah, maybe being straight DOES grant you certain advantages and being white DOES grant you certain advantages. I'm gonna quote myself here because you ignored most of my post:

No? You're overreacting. Acknowledging privilege is not "oppressing the oppressors" and recognising that it exists is not an attack on anybody.

"Privilege is the idea that in human society, some groups benefit from unearned, largely-unacknowledged advantages that increase their power relative to that of others, thereby perpetuating social inequality"

Straight people have a certain privilege that comes with being straight. Being straight is accepted in society; nobody gets beaten up for being straight, nobody discusses on tv whether or not straight people should have certain rights and nobody looks down on straight people for their sexuality. The same cannot be said for lgbt+ people. Therefore, straight people automatically have a certain amount of privilege.

It's slightly different in regards to men and women, because gender roles are complex and negatively affect them both, but there is still a certain amount of privilege that comes with being male (look at how women are treated in the scientific field, for example).

I hope you get the picture.

I can't explain it any better. You are the ones that are reacting negatively to privilege. When I say straight people are privileged, I mean that they don't face any negative repercussions in society for their sexuality the way gay people do. When I say white people are privileged, I mean that they don't face any negative repercussions in society for their skin colour the way PoC do. You see? It doesn't mean that you can't have problems and it doesn't mean that you're a bad person. It means that you're not oppressed in the way minorities are.

Also, general question - why the aversion to social justice? Like wow... educating yourself about oppression and systematic inequalities... how horrific. Most of the people making extreme post either don't have fully developed opinions (most of the people on tumblr are like 14/15) or are trolls trying to give social justice a bad name. We live in a society riddled with racism, sexism and homophobia and your problem lies with the people angry about this on the internet? Grow the ♥♥♥♥ up.

e:

I have a fanbase of 38,000 on YouTube. Nearly 5,000 of them on my personal Facebook, a ton more on my Facebook page, 3,000 on Twitter, nearly a thousand on Tumblr, etc. I see a LOT of stupid ♥♥♥♥, and most of it manifests itself in two ways: the dumb "90 percent of you will get this wrong!" pictures on Facebook, and the social justice warrior posts on Tumblr. I swim in these things EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. So I'd suggest you take some time to figure out just who I am before you assume how much time I spend on Tumblr.
I;m actually crying this is the funniest thing I've ever read

Last edited:

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Congrats?

1) You should take a valium or something.
2) You're the one making assumptions if anything - My post was more or less a general trend I've just seen on the internet.

I was telling you that to point out the multitude of stupid things I come across daily - actually, hourly - from Tumble regarding SJW horse♥♥♥♥. I wasn't bragging. And actually, I take Klonopin, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ignoring the fact sense of humor is subjective (I have a dry sense of humor personally), I'm sorry I don't find jokes that attack women that funny anymore? Lol damn that ♥♥♥♥♥ should go back to the kitchen! Blondes are dumb xDDD I'm so funny xDDD like really? It's not so much SOCIAL JUSTICE ROLLER SKATES as much as I genuinely do not find it funny anymore.

Man, you are one huge victim, and it's actually kind of sickening. You're limiting the scope of those jokes to the worst of the worst - just like any social justice warrior who plays the "privilege" card would.

I sure do hope that me no longer saying that I'm repulsed by the female body means something to you though. I mean you conveniently didn't touch up on that when I'd say that's a huge facet of misogyny taken out of my life but whatever.

Nope, doesn't move me one bit. You being repulsed by the female body tells me one of two things, and I'm keeping both of them to myself. I didn't touch on it because it's meaningless.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 2, 2014
I bet you can all conveniently ignore things that are actually advantageous to women in this world. Having a pretty smile and a pair of tits will get you positive sexism, perhaps less attractive women do not receive those benefits but I don't hear models complaining when they get massive pay checks for being an alluring sex object.

Just wanted to respond to this. You're making a pretty big assumption about what I believe here. I think Grey Wind already pointed out that being viewed solely as a sex object is not an advantage. But, yeah, being a woman does have its advantages. Dates are paid for, you can cry and get out of speeding tickets, you can cry in public and people don't judge you. And many more things, that are covered already in the MRA thread.

But feminism, at least the way I'm interpreting and practicing it, considers all those things, too. I make sure that I pay for at least half of dates, more if I realize I have more money than the person I'm going out with. I have a brother who's ten years younger than me and I'm trying to instill in him the idea that it's okay for a man to have emotions, and that he shouldn't be judged for it. And I think any feminist worth their salt would agree with me here.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
But feminism, at least the way I'm interpreting and practicing it, considers all those things, too. I make sure that I pay for at least half of dates, more if I realize I have more money than the person I'm going out with. I have a brother who's ten years younger than me and I'm trying to instill in him the idea that it's okay for a man to have emotions, and that he shouldn't be judged for it. And I think any feminist worth their salt would agree with me here.
The problem with this is that men are on the submissive end of the situation socially. They're expected to pay and it's completely up to the woman's discretion to offer money, otherwise it's on him. With males expressing emotions, no matter how much you tell him what is and isn't reality, it isn't up to you as a female to do that. Imagine a man doing that to a woman - telling her how to think and how to feel - it's hypocrisy.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Yet another thread about human rights that has devolved into MRAs attacking Feminism instead of discussing how to help their fellow man. :^)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I believe that we all need to fight for human rights. However, human rights is wide and there are conflicts to what people may consider to be human rights. I think groups that concentrate on one group can be helpful in achieving human rights, so long as they keep an eye at the bigger picture. Think about it like a government, a large government takes care of national laws, but local governments tend to be closer to the common person and pass laws that directly help a county, city, etc. Like wise the smaller groups help get change done.

I hope you get what I mean. I am worried I didn't phrase that the way I wanted...

Back