• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misleading move names

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Any names of moves that confuse you of why it is named like that, or mislead you for thinking it did something else?

I cannot understand why a move called Dragon Ascent is a Flying type move. It's like making Dragon Pulse a Fire type attack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Cerberus87 said:
    Sucker Punch is the king. It's not a punch, and doesn't count as a punch, so it isn't boosted by Iron Fist. Its Japanese name is Ambush.

Hold on, is this true? I've always thought it was one, considering it's physical and whatnot. When I hear the name Sucker Punch, I always imagine Pokémon to execute some dirty attack of sorts, such as low-blow or some smack to the eye. I suppose this could also help explain as to why it's categorized as dark--Sucker Punch is a cheap tactic?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • during my brother's first playthrough of Red version back when he was nine, he deleted his Charizard's Slash for Swords Dance, thinking the latter was a more powerful version of the attack. To this day, he contests that a move with a name like "Swords Dance" being a simple setup move is very confusing. XD

On another note, "Incinerate" is a very dramatic name for a move that's weaker than Ember. I realize they increased its base power in XY, but its still a bit dissonant in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    One that comes into mind is Fury Attack. What makes this misleading is how it doesn't really have to do with anger. Not to mention that the majority of Pokémon that can learn this move have a sharp beak/hand/etc.. It's called Disturbed Stab in the Japanese version, however.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Hold on, is this true? I've always thought it was one, considering it's physical and whatnot. When I hear the name Sucker Punch, I always imagine Pokémon to execute some dirty attack of sorts, such as low-blow or some smack to the eye. I suppose this could also help explain as to why it's categorized as dark--Sucker Punch is a cheap tactic?

Yes it is!

Bulbapedia claims the move's Japanese name is "Surprise Attack", but I remember that early translations called it "Ambush". Which fits the move better, as it's a priority move that only takes place if the enemy prepares an attack.

According to Bulbapedia:

Despite its name, Sucker Punch is not a punching move. The term sucker punch refers to an unexpected or cheap shot at an opponent, akin to its Japanese name, which translates to surprise attack. Thus, many Pokémon that do not possess arms can learn this move, and its base power is not increased by Iron Fist.

The localization was poor IMO because, although "Sucker Punch" is accurate, it misleads the player into thinking it's a punching move, when it's not. Several quadruped Pokémon such as Mightyena learn it, too.

Years
  • Oh yeah another that comes to mind is Double Slap. Maybe it's a translation error but 5 slaps don't count as double lol.

Apparently the move's Japanese name is called "Round Trip Slap", which could probably explain why it hits 2-5 times as opposed to just 2.

I do have to admit Dragon Ascent looked like a Dragon-type move to me at first but it's actually Flying-type, and I think it's mainly the animation that probably makes it look like a Flying move. At least on the bright side it does give Rayquaza a hard-hitting physical Flying STAB.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I do have to admit Dragon Ascent looked like a Dragon-type move to me at first but it's actually Flying-type, and I think it's mainly the animation that probably makes it look like a Flying move. At least on the bright side it does give Rayquaza a hard-hitting physical Flying STAB.

That's true. It's always cool to see a Flying-type version of Close Combat. Although almost every Dragon-type move has "Dragon" in its name (Dragon Rage, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Tail) so that's why it's weird to see Dragon Ascent not a Dragon type move.

Years
  • A minor one, but to me I think Vacuum Wave sounds more like a Water-type attack than a Fighting-type attack, given it has the word "wave" in the title. Or even a Flying-type attack with the word "vacuum". But those two don't sound like Fighting-type, well we do have Mach Punch and Aqua Jet but yeah.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I've always thought that Moonlight was a rather awkward name for a move that restores health. I don't know why, but I always think it's a stat-raising move instead a health restorer.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Aura Sphere.
    I don't know, maybe Psychic? But not fighting...

Comet punch
    Now there is a fairy type, and I imagine this move like the type-punch. (Like thunder punch, fire punch, etc.).

Dragon Ascent
    Well.. Do I need to say more?

Feint is a normal move, and there is feint attack who is a dark move..

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Aura Sphere isn't too nonsensical because aura is generally associated with fighting. The REAL misleading move is Tail Whip. In Japan it's Tail Wag with makes more sense but really with a badass name like that you'd figure it would be user whipping the enemy like Simon does with his whip in Castlevania.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Hyper Cutter. The first time playing Gen ADV (RSE) and getting used to abilities, I thought Hyper Cutter was an awesome awesome ability that increased the damage of "Slash" or "Cutting" based attacks. Turned out, its just basically Clear Body with a different name. Heck Clear Body was also misleading for me as well. At least both abilities are great against Intimidate (especially in Doubles were Intimidate strats are key ploys against Physical mons)

Older gen Comet Punch. At first I thought it would be an awesome punch attack that would wreck things but it turned out to be an unreliable "tackle" attack for Hitmonchan. Really misleading the first time I used him.

Extreme Speed. Well not really much of a peeve but at first I thought it was a HUGE Buff that would make ALL of your pokemon's moves have priority (Think an insane version of Agility or every move having the priority of Quick Attack = that would be such a welcome to all the slow and mighty glaciers out there, and not rely on Trick Room). At least I'm a big fan of the move and I always have this on certain mons' sets (as its something unique to them - Arcanine, Lucario, dat Special Dratini from the Dragon Master, Rayquaza)

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Twister, Though the animation is more of a Flying-type the move typing, however is Dragon-type moves like Gust and Whirlwind is classified as Flying. But how onw arceus it's a dragon type. Just a weaker version of Gust. Bulbapedia don't bother pointing why it's a dragon-typing (By means weaker. The maximized PP count)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Comet Punch got me too...I thought it was like a low-level Meteor Mash, something like a Steel-type Power-Up Punch. Unfortunately, it's a horrible move, and it makes me sad. So much potential!

pkmin3033

I thought Cosmic Power was going to be amazing, because it immediately put me in mind of the Genie from Aladdin screaming "Phenomenal Cosmic Power!" at the top of his lungs...and let's face it, if you have the power of the cosmos, you're not going to just raise your defences. You're going to atomize your foes. I was expecting a super-powered version of Hyper Beam or something. Itty-bitty living space, indeed.

Also, Return...I can't be the only person who thought it'd be like U-Turn at first? I mean, they even shout "Return!" in the anime to call their Pokemon back!

Back