• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Missingno.

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
Years
  • That Coast of Cinnibar is Scary! Don't Get close to it! {XD}

Literally, This all happens because Lines of codes get mixed up!
    Nothing to do with the intention of nintendo.

I bet when they'll lack ideas for New Pokemons, they'll either make Mega-evolutions or limelight old' Pokes.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • I think Nintendo should put Missingno or a Pokemon similar to it in the next generation. Not as a glitch, but as a legit Pokemon. It would be a cool nostalgia reference to the old games. Maybe it could be a Ghost/Electric Pokemon.

This! So far, the closest thing we have to a canon Missingno is Deoxys in FR/LG. You encounter him on an island, just like Missingno, it has 3 different forms and it has crazy-high offenses but low defenses similar to Missingno's random stats. Also, in the movie, Deoxys' presence caused all digital machinery around him to malfunction. Coincidence, or a tribute to Missingno? Probably just coincidence...

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    This! So far, the closest thing we have to a canon Missingno is Deoxys in FR/LG. You encounter him on an island, just like Missingno, it has 3 different forms and it has crazy-high offenses but low defenses similar to Missingno's random stats. Also, in the movie, Deoxys' presence caused all digital machinery around him to malfunction. Coincidence, or a tribute to Missingno? Probably just coincidence...

Very good hypothesis. Even if we don't get a Pokemon based on Missingno. maybe they could have a random NPC in one of the later games hint at him? Pokemon has broke the 4th wall before, there's not reason why they couldn't with this either.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I always used to get the Ghost Missingno but I remember someone when I was 9 telling me about this, but never told me the Missingno pokemon, instead it was the 6th item glitch. Surprised me in a way, and as a result I got all of my pokemon to level 100 through this.

Years
  • I was 9 when I first witnessed Missingno. (too many years ago ><). My cousin really loved Pokemon too, and he knew all the cheats and tricks at the time. So when he showed me a Missingno. on his party I wasn't that surprised. I was surprised however, when I tried the Missingno. glitch myself. I couldn't believe something so weird existed in my game !

On first encountering it myself, I caught it (stupidly). I'm sure it was level 80 with the type "Bird / Ice". At the time I had Pokemon Stadium, and couldn't wait to see what it looked like on the N64. I was quite disappointed when it just appeared as a Subsitute thing, instead of the glorious rectangular block of lines that represented it in Red. For some reason I imagined that Missingno.'s true form was going to be something amazing when transferred to Stadium. After this disppointment, I only really used Missingno. to acquire hundreds of Rare Candies and Master Balls so I could train every Pokemon to level 100 (never quite finished that :P).

Missingno. is pure nostalgia for me. It reminds me of when I really knew nothing about Pokemon, and the whole thing was very much a mystery to me.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    At the time I had Pokemon Stadium, and couldn't wait to see what it looked like on the N64. I was quite disappointed when it just appeared as a Subsitute thing, instead of the glorious rectangular block of lines that represented it in Red. For some reason I imagined that Missingno.'s true form was going to be something amazing when transferred to Stadium.

This^ I tried to do the same thing with Missingno. lol. Nice to see I'm not the only one!

I still want to use Missingno. to clone TMs for a good team I want to save in my N64 Pokemon Stadium cart, cause I just can't and don't want to beat Gym Leader Castle with those awful rentals -__-.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • Was surprised that it exists but was not very much it is too be expected with old games but at least it not as bad in blue and red as it is in yellow gosh dang is it harmful in yellow

missingno000

Houen ichiban!
    Years
  • Funfact: its Hall of Fame corruption is actually caused by the game trying to decompress its sprite (which is most certainly not compressed graphic data) and having a cow.

(Source)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't think you really need to use it and probably shouldn't. I didn't even know it existed until about 4th gen because I never relly looked up anything on RBY because I had played all three cartridges at least 10 times each and thought I knew everything about it.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
    Years
  • MissingNo. brings back so many memories... Because of it you could multiply any item you wanted on the sixth slot of your bag. I remember on my last play through of Pokemon Red, I went and did the glitch many times, just to get that Master Ball or Full Restore cloned. I also remember that if you ever catch it and fed it a Rare Candy, it's level would revert to either 100 or 1 iirc. There were so many ways to abuse the glitch, but sadly it kind of harms your game and savefile...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Just like O'aka, I hadn't known about Missingno until later down the road. :( Even if I did, I wouldn't have been too interested in it, anyway, since I play games only for their storyline. Would've tried to get a hold of it at some point, but definitely wouldn't be frustrated or anything if I failed, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    The first time I heard about the glitch was after I got owned by my rival in the last battle. So I duplicated my rare candy, went in and cleaned up. I enjoyed the random mess that came along with it. Was excited to get him on stadium.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I first learned about the Missingno glitch from a family friend. When I got home, I taught my friends from school about it, and everyone started glitching. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I regretted sharing my newfound knowledge.

For whatever reason, Missingno used to terrify me when I was younger. The hall-of-fame data corruption and sprite scrambling scared me, and I was convinced that if I traded with a friend whose game had become pretty screwed up due to glitches, his glitchiness would infect my game and destroy it as well. I tried using the Missingno glitch a few times, and liked multiplying my items, but I didn't want to catch any of the glitches. Also, the multiplied items made the game seem too easy. I was actually so bothered by the fact that I felt like I was cheating (while risking screwing up my game) that I restarted my file. That was my second completed Pokémon game (my first was well-protected on a Mega Memory Card), and I had a lot more fun with the first and the third than I did with the Missingno/glitch one.

Learning about Missingno inspired me to spend time researching glitches, so as to avoid accidently ruining my game with them. I recall spending numerous Friday afternoons in elementary school reading about glitches in RBY, and later, GSC (alone with all of the garbage that came along with them--Pikablu rumors, evolving Dragonite into Yoshi, and the like). Since then, I've actually begun to find glitches really interesting, and I've tried to learn more about what causes them and how they work. Now that I'm older, and I understand them better, they're not so scary. But my original reaction to them provides some insight into how we deal with the unknown, and how our interpretations of situations change as we gather more information.

Years
  • Never got the whole Missingno. craze, to be honest. Heard about it after I beat Red, and only looked into it after seeing this thread, haha. Seems like it would be cool to try and make appear, but nothing more. Maybe I'll try and encounter it someday, but for now, I'll stick to watching videos of other people finding it. n__n;

ShadowGeralt

Ultimate Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • MissingNo. is awesome! Not only he multiplies your 6th item in your item bag, but when you name yourself properly, you can encounter awesome Pokemons there like lv 252 Golbat or Mewtwo! I remember I couldn't wait to get my Masterball and go to that place so I had so many Masterballs I could catch all Pokemons.
    MissingNo. was propably baby Kangaskhan, but I don't get it typing. It evolves to Kangaskhan but acts like 4th Legendary Bird, just water type.

Years
  • It was always known as the 'Rare Candy cheat' at school. When I bought Pokémon Blue I was terrified of trying it out, but I knew I had to. I knew it produced multiple Rare Candies but I was quite surprised at the other glitches it presented too (for example, encountering Pokémon way above Level 100; if I remember rightly I encountered a Level 142 Weezing when surfing alongside Cinnabar Island).

Personally I find Missingno. quite boring now. I think there are more interesting Pokémon glitches.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2015
    Well, my favorite part about this glitch has to be that if you name yourself right, you can actually catch the black ghost as a missingno.! I've never actually tried it, but I should! That'd be sweet to pwn with that Ghost! And suddenly, Pokemon Creepy Black comes to mind. hehe.

Back