• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mono Steel

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2017
    Hey guys, just a fellow lover of Steel-Types. I've been trying to mold this team together ever since X and Y came out, I just recently got into competitive battling but have been playing since Red and Blue came out, haha. Anyways any advice helps!

Ferrathorn:
    -Spikes
    -Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Power Whip
    Nature: Relaxed
    EV: 252 HP/252 DEF/4 ATK
    Item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Excadrill:
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -Brick Break
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Jolly
    EV: 252 SPD/252 ATK/4 HP
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Mold Breaker

Klefki:
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Toxic
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Impish
    EV: 252 HP/130 SP DEF/126 DEF
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Prankster

Heatran:
    -Earth Power
    -Flamethrower
    -Ancient Power
    -HP Ice
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EV: 252 SP ATK/252 SPD/4 HP or 252 SP ATK/252 HP/4 SPD
    Item: Air Balloon
    Ability: Flash Flare

Aeigislash:
    -Swords Dance
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Iron Head
    Nature: Adamant
    EV: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SPD
    Item: Weakness Policy
    Ability: Stance Change

Mawile:
    -Sucker Punch
    -Play Rough/ Iron Head
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    EV: 252 ATK/252 HP/4 DEF or SP DEF
    Item: Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate

I'll give a bit of a rundown of how it usually works for me so you guys can get an understanding of why I may have chosen certain attacks/items/natures. I have two leads, Klefki and Ferrathorn. Ferrathorn sets up hazards and I lead with him if I know I safely can, and then either stall out and take out as many Pokémon as I can before it dies off or I switch out if I have to, obviously. Klefki I lead with if I need more of a defensive lead, for example if they have Fire Pokémon on their team or Fighting. Klefki is a good transition for my Aeigislash as it sets up good defense, then I can switch in safely and use swords dance, while at the same time getting hit by a x2 attack to activate weakness policy, so I basically get a double SD in one turn. For some people that's the end for them, haha. Otherwise it can usually take out one Pokémon for sure. Since Klefki has Prankster I normally switch it in and out, throwing the screens back up and paralyzing to slow pokemon down for my slow steel types. Or using toxic for bulky types that may give me trouble later. Excadrill I don't like to use as a sweeper, more of a revenge killer for fire types. It survives whatever they hit me with by using focus sash and then rock slide them to death ie. Charizard, Talonflame... However I am having trouble with this, because my Rapid Spinner is also my Focus Sash Pokémon. Also I'm not entirely sure I need it with Heatran, although excadrill can also be use to handle Rotom-W which gives my team trouble a lot. Heatran's position is obvious, switch him in to take fire hits. It also has Air Balloon to take ground hits for me, but usually when I throw Heatran at a ground type it cant do much either way. It doesn't see good at OHKO-ing them, so they pop the balloon then kill it with earthquake/earth power right after. Lastly, there's Mawile as my late-game sweeper. Does a great job for the most part, although I'm debating its moveset. I used to run Play Rough, Iron Head, Sucker Punch and Taunt, but I'm not too sure which works yet. This team is pretty solid all together, but I know needs work. It handles Fire Very well, and does decent against fighting, but gets torn apart by ground. Again any comments help! Thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    What you got here is pretty good, but there are a few things to tweak.

Ferrothorn doesn't need both Spikes and Stealth Rock. One hazard is generally enough. So pick one and swap it with Thunder Wave.

Excadrill gets great coverage just through Earthquake and Rock Slide, so Brick Break can be replaced with Swords Dance for extra power.

Klefki is Taunt and set-up bait the way you have it (I really wish it got Will-o-wisp and Taunt, but whatever). So replace Thunder Wave with Foul Play.

Ancient Power doesn't go much for Heatran, but there's not much to replace it with since it has HP Ice. But you could swap it with Flash Cannon; your Steel team only has one other Steel attack.

Mawile is too slow, not quite bulky enough, and lacks the recovery needed to make use of Substitute. Fire Fang or Ice Fang should be used in its place. And between Play Rough and Iron Head, go with Play Rough.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What you got here is pretty good, but there are a few things to tweak.

Ferrothorn doesn't need both Spikes and Stealth Rock. One hazard is generally enough. So pick one and swap it with Thunder Wave.

Excadrill gets great coverage just through Earthquake and Rock Slide, so Brick Break can be replaced with Swords Dance for extra power.

Klefki is Taunt and set-up bait the way you have it (I really wish it got Will-o-wisp and Taunt, but whatever). So replace Thunder Wave with Foul Play.

Ancient Power doesn't go much for Heatran, but there's not much to replace it with since it has HP Ice. But you could swap it with Flash Cannon; your Steel team only has one other Steel attack.

Mawile is too slow, not quite bulky enough, and lacks the recovery needed to make use of Substitute. Fire Fang or Ice Fang should be used in its place. And between Play Rough and Iron Head, go with Play Rough.

Here's a tl;dr version of what Zekrom said:

Ferrothorn:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Leech Seed
    -Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave
    -Power Whip/Protect
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs

Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Iron Head
    -Rapid Spin
    -Swords Dance/Stealth Rock
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Air Balloon/Chople Berry

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 120 HP/136 Atk/252 SDef (Adamant) or 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Jolly)
    Item: Assault Vest (Adamant)/Choice Scarf (Jolly)

Klefki (it needs an attacking move, as Zekrom mentioned; Dazzling Gleam is viable because it's a STAB):
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Spikes
    -Dazzling Gleam/Foul Play
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef
    Item: Light Clay

or
    -Spikes
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Foul Play
    -Thunder Wave
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/152 Def/104 SDef

Heatran can not only run offensive sets, but defensive ones as well:
    -Lava Plume
    -Protect
    -Roar/Earth Power
    -Toxic/Stealth Rock/Will-o-Wisp
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef
    Ability: Flash Fire

or
    -Fire Blast
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Stealth Rock
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Air Balloon/Leftovers

or
    -Fire Blast/Overheat
    -Flash Cannon
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Ice)/Flamethrower
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

or
    -Magma Storm
    -Toxic
    -Taunt
    -Protect
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe

Swords Dance + King's Shield Aegislash is too easily played around and walled:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sacred Sword
    -Shadow Sneak/Iron Head
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 240 HP/252 SAtk/16 Spe

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sacred Sword
    -Shadow Sneak
    -King's Shield/Iron Head/Pursuit
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 244 Atk/252 SAtk/12 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Spooky Plate/Spell Tag

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Iron Head
    -Sacred Sword/Head Smash
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sacred Sword
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef

or
    -Autotomize
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Flash Cannon
    Nature: Rash/Modest
    EVs: 88 Atk/252 SAtk/168 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Weakness Policy

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Pursuit
    -Toxic
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef

Mawile generally runs enough Speed to outrun Tyranitar, Aegislash and Scizor:
    -Play Rough
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fire Fang/Iron Head/Swords Dance
    -Swords Dance/Substitute
    EVs: 132 HP/252 Atk/124 Spe
    Item: Mawilite
    Ability: Intimidate

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2017
    What you got here is pretty good, but there are a few things to tweak.

Yeah, I like the idea of giving Ferrathorn T-wave if I were to be taking it off of Klefki, and I did Foul Play on Klefki before, it seems to work well.
    I actually didn't even realize that

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2017
    Wow, that's a lot of inro, Platinum, haha. I'll be sure to take that into consideration and actually try out a lot of this right now. Thanks so much for the advice!

Back