• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I'll join.

Name: EJ
    Version: Pearl
    Type: Ground

I'll probably update later tonight.

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    Nother update.

I went through with my HM Slave 1 (Turtwig) all the way to beat Roark, where he evolved. Ho hum now the Ghosts will be harder to catch. So I went and cleared out the Windworks, trying to get me a Drifloon, but I can't find it anywhere. Oh well, lets go get a Gastly. I couldn't get the 4% gastly, even though I ran into one Dustox and Beautifly (1%) and plenty of cas/silcoons (5%). Finally found and caught Gastly when I was about to give up for the night. Named it Enigma. Saved and quit.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    It feels like I've done a lot but really I only have two Gym badges.

I did the usual beginning stuff. I chose turtwig to help me out and I quickly grew accustomed to having him around. Once I talked to Rowan and my mom, etc. Lucas gave me 5 pokeballs to help me out in my journey. (Yes I picked Dawn as my character...I hate lucas' beret.) I proceeded to Jubilife where I saw Barry and I handed him his parcel. He gave me a town map...SCORE! I then headed to Oreburgh where I saw my rival and he challenged me. I won and continued my trek. I made it to Oreburgh where I went down the mine immediately and caught an Onix for my team. I trained Turtwig until he evolved into Grotle. I then talked to Roark and he showed me rock smash (Oh yeah that hiker gave me his HM!! =] ) He went to his gym and I followed. I defeated his friends and then beat him easily with a combination of Absorb and Razor Leaf.

After I was done I placed Onix in front and fought everybody/everything with Onix until he reached Grotle's level. This included grinding him in the Eterna Forest (thanks to Cheryl's healing!) After that was done I made it to Eterna City where I knew I would have a tough time. Grotle fought bravely and managed to beat all the trainers in the gym. I then faced Gardenia and started with Onix. I nearly beat Cherrim but he fell to one hit. Grotle was sent out as my only resort. I used curse and proceeded to use Bite. I beat cherrim easily but then Roserade was up next. It used poison sting and poisoned my Grotle. I managed to beat it continuously using Bite. After that was done, I used an antidote and potion on Grotle. I was fighting her turtwig. I was afraid I might lose because poison had hurt me enough to render my only potion not very helpful. Grotle however proved to be strong and beat Turtwig. Once that was over I received cut from some random lady. (Thanks much!) I then caught a Bidoof so it could learn cut. I went inside the building that was sealed and liberated a bike man. He gave me a free bike =] I kept going on my journey. Right now I'm about 5 minutes away from Solaceon.

Note: I ommitted the boring stuff (valley windworks,etc.)

Last edited:
    Years
    The game I'm useing is Platinum and the type I'm useing will be Normal types (There's something about them I like)

I had left my home town with Piplup as my starter. With it I caught Bidoof and also a Starly to start off my team and trained them by battleing other wild pokemon and trainers like Yongsters.

As I got to the first gym, my Bidoof evolved and learned Water Gun.

I am now one cave away from it.

POKEMON ON HAND:

Bibarel-Male
    Level 15
    Normal/ Water
    Attacks: Tackle, Growl, Rollout, Water Gun

Starly-Male
    Level 13
    Normal/ Flying
    Attacks: Tackle, Quick Attack, Growl, Wing Attack

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    Hey Guys!
    I will be attempting this challenge with Ground Types and on Diamond. I will try to do a update once a day.

And heres Update 1:
    I started the game naming myself (skiffz) and my Rival (zypher).
    I then followed Zypher to Verity Lakefront and chose Turtwig as my starter, and used it to defeat the wild Starly.
    I then treked to Sandgem Town, and nicknamed Turtwig Serene/ recieved the pokedex.
    I then got the noob tour of Sandgem town by Dawn/let Mom know about my upcoming journey/recieved Journal and Parcel.
    I then went up to route 202 and got a pokemon catching lesson from Dawn (yawn) and recieved 5 pokeballs from her.
    I then trumped all the trainers on route 202 and Healed serene at the pokemon center in Jubilife city. I then went to the trainers school and trumped the two trainers with abras then delievered the parcel to Zypher and gladly accepted the Town Map and Tm 10. I then went and did the Poketch Campaign and recieved the Poketch. I then made a quick stop at the Jubilife condiminiums to recieve a free quick claw that I gave to serene. I then got the old rod.
    After that i saved and went to bed.

Current Team:
    Turtwig (Serene)
    Level 11
    Moves: Tackle, Withdraw, Absorb.

Update 2:
    I went ahead and beat the first few trainers on route 204 before I go on and face Zypher. So here it goes!

Rival Battle 1:
    He sends out a starly, so I was nervous because of the type difference, but it only used growl the intire time so it was no problem. Next he sent out his chimchar, so all i did was spam tackle and defeated him easily.

I then continued onto Route 203, easily defeating all the trainers and Finally! I get to Oregburgh Gate which means I have a chance to Catch a geodude. So I enter Orgburgh Gate take two steps and bam a level 6 Geodude appears. I throw a pokeball on my first turn and I was surprised to see that I had caught it. I then nicknamed Geodude Loco. I then continued on to Orgburgh City which I then heal my pokemon. I then started grinding up Loco and Serene. I get them both upto 16 and then I think I am ready to take on the Gym Leader so I go to Orgburgh Mine and fetch him, But as I am exiting the mine a Wild Onix Attacked me and I thought "oh thats perfect" so I caught it and named it Cake. I then train Cake up a few levels to level 13 and then go challenge the Gym.

Orgburgh Gym:
    Trainer 1:
    He sent out a geodude and I sent out Serene and I OHKO'd it with one razor leaf.

Trainer 2:
    For the second trainer I stayed with Serene and OHKO'd his geodude and onix with two more razor leafs.

Roark:
    For Roark I start with Serene, (now level 17 after the first two battles) yet again and i OHKO his geodude and onix. Then he sends out his Cranidos and I defeated it with 2 razor leafs. Which then leveled Serene upto 18 and then evolves. He then gives me the coal badge and Tm76 as a reward.

Current Team:
    Grotle(Serene)
    Level 18
    Moves: Tackle, Curse, Absorb, Razor Leaf

Geodude(Loco)
    Level 16
    Moves: Tackle, Rock Polish, Rock Throw, Magnitude

Onix(Cake)
    Level 13
    Moves: Tackle, Mud Sport, Bind, Rock Throw.
    End of Update 2

Update 3:
    I treked back to Jubilife City and rescued the Prof from the Team Galactic Grunts and recieved the Fashion Case. I then went up to Route 204 and caught myself a Bidoof and named it Slave since it will be a HM Slave. After I caught Slave I went through Ravaged Path and the rest of Route 204 and found myself at Floaroma Town. I then went and caught a Shellos and named it Mildew. Then I went and did bit of grinding and after I finished Grinding here were my Levels.

Serene:
    Level 20
    Moves: Tackle, Curse, Absorb, Razer Leaf

Loco:
    Level 18
    Moves: Tackle, Magnitude, Rock Throw, Selfdestruct

Cake:
    Level 18
    Moves: Rock Tomb, Bind, Rage, Rock Throw

Mildew:
    Level 18
    Moves: Mudslap, Hidden Power, Mud Bomb, Water Pulse

Slave:
    Level 3
    Moves: Tackle, Rock Smash

So with my newly trained Pokemon I went and took on all the grunts with ease and recieved the Valley Windworks Key. With the Windworks Key I entered the Valley Windworks, and took on the first two grunts with Loco by spamming Magnitude.

Event Battle: Team Galactic Commander Mars
    To start of with Cake and OHKO her Zubat with Rockthrow. Then I switched to Mildew to fight her Purugly and I defeat her by spamming Water Pulse and using one potion in the middle of the fight. I then get grats from her and she says well meet again.

This Ends Update 3!

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I made it to the 3rd gym but I figured I might as well head to Pastoria and get wooper and begin training.

After Maylene I'll chase hippopotas.

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
    Years
    I'll try my hand at Water (kukukuku, PALKIA TIME) on Pearl. Though I won't be saving due to the fact that I love my Pearl to much to delete it (since Pearl is my pokedex game, I have a lot of the pokemon and it's also the EV training game), and I really don't know where to find an Emerlator and I can't download anything because my computer's firewall sucks and I get like five computer/internet crashes every hour or so. Sometimes ten minutes if it's a really bad day. XD

-Named myself Kaida and named rival Barry
    -Battled Starly with Piplup and pwned.
    -Name Piplup Chi Akuma and started my way to Jubilife City.

This is going to take me awhile. XD

Last edited:

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Ok, I decided on what I want to do, and finally got a Platinum ROM working.

Sign me up for the Normal Challenge. (kekekekeh STARAPTOR!)

I'll update ASAP and inform if my Platinum file decides to delete itself.

Username: Corruptodile
    Type: Normal
    Version: Platinum

Normal should be fun eh? :)

I'll be showing my updates in screenshots.

First off:

-Confirmed I was a boy, called myself Aero. Called rival Cyclone. Like I always do. :P
    -My adventure begins! No more text! Well...little...but mostly screen shots!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Hey, can I do this with Flying on Platinum?

EDIT:

I made some userbars for everyone:

Spoiler:

Anyone know how I make the white background transparent rather than white?

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Sooo.... first update. *wonders if anyone else is here*

I started my journey with an awful lot of exposition. I do wish there was a way to avoid the endless "Did you know Pokemon have types?" intro stuff they force you to endure every game. Anyway, I picked Piplup since he's a bird, but as soon as I got Pokeballs I caught a Starly. Making my way through Jubilife to Oreburgh with my loyal Starly, Blackwing, I caught a Zubat and named it Darla.

Do you know how annoying it is to train a low-level Zubat. Leech Life and Astonish were all the attacks I had for a long time... I praised the heavens when it finally learned Bite. Meanwhile, Blackwing evolved into Staravia, and I went to challenge the gym.

Zubat, with a Supersonic+Bite combo, beat Geodude and Onix with surprising ease. I got lucky with flinchax quite a lot. Staravia came in to face Craniados, and I started a Double-teaming tactic but in the end that was pointless, as Craniados is hopelessly frail and it took only 3 Wing Attacks to beat it. And so the Coal Badge was won.

Made my way to Floaroma and beat Team Galactic there. Darla beat Mars' Zubat, and Blackwing let Purugly bring him down to 3HP, before using Endeavour and then Quick Attack to win it. Caught a female Drifloon outside, and named it Duffy.

Grind... grind... reached Eterna and headed straight for the gym. Darla, Duffy and Blackwing slaughtered the Grass-types there, and Darla evolved into Golbat after the battle with Gardenia (a battle that consisted of spamming Gust/Wing Attack and nothing else.

Beat Galactic in their hideout. Duffy beat Zubat with two Gusts, and Darla confused Skuntank and did some damage before falling, and Blackwing finished the job. Outside, I got a Togepi egg and then headed south to pick up a Gligar, who I named Scorpula. When Togepi hatched I named him Scramblore, and for the last hour or so I've just been grinding him near Eterna. Godammit I hate training a baby for a happiness evolution with nothing to fight but bloody Wurmples.

Team so far:

Darla (Golbat)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 24
    Inner Focus
    - Bite
    - Wing Attack
    - Confuse Ray
    - Astonish
    Darla is as awesome as the character she's named after. She took ages to get any good, but when she's good she's very very good. She won't stay much longer though, I've used the Zubat family too may times, I'm only using Pokemon I've never used before in this run.

Blackwing (Staravia)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 23
    Intimidate
    - Double Team
    - Endeavour
    - Wing Attack
    - Quick Attack
    Same as Darla.

Duffy (Drifloon)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 24
    Aftermath
    - Astonish
    - Gust
    - Payback
    - Minimize
    I love her design, but she really needs to learn some more powerful attacks/evolve.

Scramblore (Togepi)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 20
    Hustle
    - Metronome
    - Yawn
    - Charm
    - Grass Knot
    Just fricking evolve already.

Scorpula (Gligar)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 17
    Hyper Cutter
    - Rock Tomb
    - Quick Attack
    - Sand-Attack
    - Knock Off
    Just grinding him now, can't really judge how good he is yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    Sign me up for a Steel monotype on Pearl. I'm bored with my Pearl game right now so this will be good for me. Also, this is my first challenge so I might take it slow but still I will try to update every few days when I can. Thanks! XD

Years
    Ok. I've started with Psychic(Sorry I said Ice earlier lol)
    I chose a random starter and did all the usual stuff. Chose a girl and named myself Dawn, and my rival Tyson. Chose Turtwig and fought my way quickly to Roark and beat him easily using turtwig.

then got my trade in and got a level 1 beldum in return for my turtwig. On my way back to Jubilife i ran into an Abra and caught it.

Been training these two, evolved abra and have now just beaten the valley windworks.

Current team:
    :t374:
    Beldum - Level 14
    Takedown
    :t064:
    Kadabra - Level 17
    Teleport
    Hidden power
    Confusion

1 badge so far.

Years
    So, I started my Steel Monotype Challenge on Pearl. I've done a lot so this post might be long so bear with me here. Anyway, onto my challenge!

- I started the game and named myself Mary (after myself) and my rival
    Ryan (after my hyper and energetic best friend). Chose Piplup and went
    through all of the introduction tutorial things.
    - Caught my first Pokemon, Bidoof, for my HM Slave. I didn't even meet a
    Starly along the way so I'll find another one to use for my Flier later in
    the game.
    - Went to Jubilife City, obtained the Poketch, completed everything that
    could be done and left to face my rival, Ryan. He was pretty easy to beat
    with only my Piplup and HM Slave Bidoof.
    - I beat the trainers on Route 203 and headed through the Oreburgh Gate
    to Oreburgh City.
    - I obtained Rock Smash and made it to Oreburgh City while beating the
    trainers at the Gate.
    - Found Roark in the Mine and caught an Onix, the second member of my
    team (well almost).
    - Traded Onix to my Diamond game, where I gave him a Metal Coat and
    traded him back to Pearl where he evolved into a Steelix, my official
    second member of my party.
    - Took on the Oreburgh Gym without training. Piplup took out Roark
    singlehandedly, while also evolving into Prinplup at the end.
    - Headed back to Jubilife City and beat the Galactic Grunts with ease after
    tagging up with Lucas. I then realized after the battle that my Steel types
    are going to take a long, long time to beat down opponents because of
    their horrible attack stat. Still, that should be solved when they evolve into
    their final forms.
    - Anyway, I took Route 204 to get to Floraroma Town where I promply
    took out the Grunt at the Windworks and back in town.
    - Beat Mars from the Windworks, again easy but long, and headed for
    Eterna Forest.
    - Teamed up with Cheryl and made it through the Forest without many
    problems, except her Chansey fainting twice along the way. >_<
    - Got to Eterna City where I immediately went to get the Explorers Kit to
    find myself an Armor Fossil to evolve into a Sheldon.
    - It took me an entire HOUR but I finally found an Armor Fossil. I soon
    realized, however, that I needed to backtrack all the way to Oreburgh to
    get my Sheldon. It didn't take me as long as I feared so after obtaining my
    Sheldon, I went back to Eterna to challenge Gardenia.
    - The first time I challenged Gardenia, I FAILED MISERABLY. Her Turtwig
    was the most annoying, seeing as he used Withdraw and Reflect every
    turn so even my super effective moves took out hardly any HP.
    - After failing for the third time, I decided to grind my Pokes a little to
    around level 22-23. At the time all three of my team members were at level
    20 so after leveling up in the Eterna Forest, I FINALLY beat Gardenia.
    - I entered the Galactic Building and beat the Grunts there easily.
    Challenged Jupiter and beat her easily as well.
    - Grabbed my bike and immediately went to Cycling Road to catch my
    Bronzor, my fourth member of my team.
    - After catching Bronzor I back tracked to beat the rest of the trainers on
    Cycling Road then went to Oreburgh to save and heal for the night.

Badges: Coal, Forest
    Current Team Members: Four

Current Team:
    Spoiler:

Charmageddon

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    OK, second update, lets do this.

Scramblore finally evolved into Togetic, about time too, and so I made my way to Hearthome. Went to the gym, and got my arse promptly handed to me. I've always had problems with that Mismagius. So I went away and grinded a little more, and Darla evolved into Crobat. Back at the gym, things were a lot easier with a Crobat on my team, I beat most of the team with Bite. Scorpula and Duffy helped out too, but it was quite a short rematch. Oh, and my rival - who I named Jorge - challenged me when I was leaving Hearthome. I don't really remember what happened, I think it was a pretty easy battle.

Then came the long journey, through Solaceon, through Veilstone, until I reached Pastoria, and could catch myself a Yanma and a Tropius in the Great Marsh - by God I hate that place. Who's clever idea was it to make a Safari Zone where you couldn't actually move? Anyway, I named them Dracosect and Mangosaur respectively, and got grinding. Beat Maylene while I was at it, I thought it would be easy against an all-Fighting gym. But Dracosect went straight down to her Meditite's Rock Tomb - Mangosaur fared better, beating it with Fly. Duffy took care of Machoke with Gust, and Scorpula's Dig did the job against Lucario.

After some more grinding, I got everyone up to lvl. 33, therefore evolving Dracosect into Yanmega, and along the way I picked up a Razor Fang, and so evolved Scorpula into Gliscor. And so I went to challenge Crasher Wa... oh, hey Jorge.Duffy took care of that Staravia with Shock Wave, and Grotle with Gust. Ponyta ate a Dig from Scorpula, and Buizel died to Scramblore's Return. He went away, so I could challenge Crasher Wake.

It was a pretty awesome battle, I should've recorded it. His Gyarados hurt Duffy a lot with Waterfall, who replied with a Shock Wave that took about two thirds of its health. Gyarados finished her with Bite, Aftermath sending it into the red. Then I sent Dracosect out for his very first battle as a Yanmega... Wake predictably healed, and Dracosect used Ancientpower for about 1/3 damage. Then another - god I love Speed Boost - which gave him stat boosts all around. Ice Fang hurt a little, but another Ancientpower finished the job. Then Floatzel came out, and Silver Wind did just over half damage, an Ice Fang putting Dracosect in the orange. Another Silver Wind - which gave me more boosts - finished the job. I thougt for sure Quagsire would kill me with Rock Tomb... but Dracosext survived with 3HP and a second Silver Wind beat Quagsire and won me the Fen Badge. Go Yanmega!

Got the potion from Cynthia and went straight to catch the final member of my team - a Swablu named Cottonwing. Spent the last year (or possibly day) grinding Swablu, and just now she has finally evolved into Altaria. Then I came here to update...

Team:

Duffy (Drifblim)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Aftermath
    - Ominous Wind
    - Gust
    - Shock Wave
    - Defog
    Average stats, rubbish attacks. Disappointment all around. Nice design though.

Scorpula (Gliscor)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Hyper Cutter
    - Night Slash
    - Dig
    - Ice Fang
    - Quick Attack
    Brilliant so far, I have to stop myself from using it too often because it could beat everything on its own. Joint MVP with Dracosect.

Scramblore (Togetic)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Hustle
    - Ancientpower
    - Grass Knot
    - Metronome
    - Return
    I kinda wish she had Serene Grace... but Hustle means that Return packs a hell of a punch. A decent Pokemon so far, and one that I predict will be even
    stronger when I get my hands on a Shiny Stone.

Mangosaur (Tropius)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Clorophyll
    - Magical Leaf
    - Fly
    - Stomp
    - Whirlwind
    It's a dinosaur that grows bananas out its neck, what more do you want?

Dracosect (Yanmega)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Speed Boost
    - Ancientpower
    - Aerial Ace
    - Silver Wind
    - Supersonic
    I love him. Great stats, great attacks, great ability, great design... Dracosect is the coolest. Joint MVP with Scorpula.

Cottonwing (Altaria)
    Monotype Challenge

Lvl. 35
    Natural Cure
    - Fly
    - Dragonbreath
    - Sing
    - Earthquake
    A nice Pokemon... too early to judge Altaria yet.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Well, after countless attempts of putting in screenshots, I epically failed.

So, make do with text updates.

What would have been screen shots would have been me showing you how far I got before my first save. I got as far as Dawn showing me how to catch a Bidoof.
    -After taking an extended break on Pokémon (due to unforseen circumstances regarding screenshots and all around boredom :/), I caught a Starly and Bidoof.

Vroke

Starmie FTW
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    I'm going to try this with Flying Pokemon.

Here is the team I'm going to use:

Stararptor - Normal/Flying
    Drifblim - Ghost/Flying
    Honchkrow - Dark/Flying
    Crobat - Poison/Flying
    Mantine - Water/Flying
    Mothim - Bug/Flying

I'll give an update in a bit.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    Hello, I am going to start an Electric Monotype challenge. I will update after i make some progress. This sounds fun, and I hope I make it! XD

Vroke

Starmie FTW
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    Up in the Air (Part 1):

- Received Turtwig as my Starter. Nicknamed him "Slave"
    - Caught a Starly on Route 202.
    - Arrived in Jubilife City.
    - Battled my Rival and headed to Oreburgh City.
    - Caught a Zubat on Route 203.
    - Found Roark in the Oreburgh Mine.
    - Trained A BUNCH before challenging Roark.
    - Zubat Lv 15
    - Staravia Lv 18
    - Defeated Roark thanks to Bite and Wing Attack.

Current Team:
    Monotype Challenge
    Monotype Challenge

Zubat, Lv. 15
    - Leech Life
    - Supersonic
    - Astonish
    - Bite

Staravia, Lv. 18
    - Endeavor
    - Double Team
    - Quick Attack