• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monotype runs

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Have you ever played a game using only Pokemon of one type? They can be dual typed, but they all share at least one typing.

I've done so a few times to add some challenge to the games and just for plain fun. I find it also teaches you a lot about one type for future teams. Off the top of my head I know I've done water, bug, flying, and rock. I had the most fun doing a rock monotype run in HG/SS. My team turned out awesome and I made some new favorites out of it. My most challenging team was with all bug types also in HG/SS. I ended up having to rely on two of my bugs to get me through the E4/Champion.

Have you ever done a monotype run? What type(s) have you used before? What were your results?

Years
  • I've completed a fair few monotypes on LeafGreen and Emerald, but mostly Emerald. It's hard to recall all the types I've done them with but I'll give it a try. On Emerald, I know I've completed Dark, Water, Fire, Flying and Rock. On LeafGreen, I've completed Ground, Fighting and Rock. Quite a few of those were last year when I was active back then, but I've completed a fair few in the last few weeks and aim to do more. I enjoy monotypes, they're a good challenge and it's a lot of fun after you've been through the game normally once or twice.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I have done a mono-type run at one point, but without being precisely aware, so to speak.

When I had first played Pokémon Ruby version, Blaziken and Camerupt were the only two team members I had found myself relying on while battling, and have solely used them until after defeating Steven, the champion. It wasn't too difficult, to be honest; they were rather great, and have been able to carry matches without any sort of trouble at all. All I had to do was make sure they were at a decent level, which they were.

Intentionally, however, I don't believe I have done it before, sadly. I was planning to go through one, but have never managed to get around that. Hopefully, I will at some point in future. I'm not exactly sure which game to go with, though... right now, all I could think of right now is Emerald. It's one of my all-time favorites, and it's not too difficult to access, either (could be played via emulator from almost any device).

Years
  • Yes, i've done plenty of Monotype runs before. Some on the Ground-type, and others on Poison, Normal, Dark, and Grass. A lot of them were on XY, and they've been fun times with them. For the one I had the most fun with? That's difficult to decide, if I think of one i'll likely mention it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I've completed poison monotype runs in the first four generations...I briefly made an attempt at it in B/W, but with only three (fairly mediocre) poison-types available before the E4, it became quite the challenge. I might try my hand at B2/Y/AS in the future, but I really don't have much time yet. XD

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Yep, I have! Earlier this year around March or April I did a Fairy-type monotype playthrough on my X version. It was my first and only monotype challenge and it was really fun, I would do it again but I've never really bothered to. If I did, it would probably be a Water-type challenge because they're so versatile.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've done a number of them. The first was with an Emerald rom where I only used grass types, and then I've done a number of HGSS as I love that game and it was a neat way to try out many Pokemon I hadn't used before.

HGSS I've also done a grass monotype run, which was fairly challenging. The first gym is flying, and the second bug, and unlike in GSC Bugsy is actually tough when you only have grass type Pokemon because of one move: U-turn. :V

Meanwhile, Morty's ghost-type gym doubles as a poison-type one as well, Pryce has ice, and grass doesn't do much to steel and dragon. Oh, and amongst the E4 is a Crobat, Gengar/Houndoom/Vileplume trio and Lance's dragon team, which is more 'three flying types and three dragonites'.

So that was fun. =p I beat Red with an underlevelled team and a bunch of revives, haha.

I also played and beat HGSS in full with a Bug-only team, got halfway with a Water type one, and last I played (admittedly a while ago) was using a poison monotype team and up to Clair's gym.

I would like to repeat my grass-type shenanigans for the challenge of it in B2W2 as well, challenge mode. Because using the likes of the Sunkern line in a game with a hard mode and the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gyms being poison, bug, and electric (with emolga) sounds fun to me. =p

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've attempted a couple, but I've never completed a full run before. I would like to complete a full run of each game with a Monotype challenge.

Back