• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Monthly Video Game Showdown - Sidekicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
    Luigi
    Midna

yaaaay the last of us party train. Frickin lame. . .

Luigi better win. he's got that "Thank you so much for the crown!" walk down pat.

Years
    Ellie - Only in spite of Luigi.

Midna - Best Zelda Sidekick by far! Perhaps the best nintendo sidekick. She is glib, vengeful, playful, and gorgeous (as a human), I don't think any videogame storyline best demonstrates character building between the main-character and sidekick as does Midna/Link in Twilight Princess.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    El- well...this actually takes some thought. Ellie and Joel have a good relationship from what I've seen, but Luigi is a character that has only become more and more entertaining as the years pass. At first, I was quick to choose Ellie, but...I dunno. Luigi's a pretty infectious character. From Hotel Mario to his Mario RPG persona to Weegee to Death Stare, he even got a full year to himself, and boy did he relish in it.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Luigi.

Also, Midna. My feelings about TP are rather complicated, but she gets my vote on this one. Though I am rather surprised that Claptrap lost, as beloved as he is.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    Alright folks! Last day to vote for these semifinal matchups! If you want your favorite to make it, today's the day to do so!

Good luck to everyone and see you tomorrow evening for the results and final matchup!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    Luigi
    Midna

Because I've never played TLoU and have no desire to do so, and Luigi is better than his brother in every possible way. Midna vs. Diddy was harder though, but I have a lot more attachment to the Zelda series and Midna was the best Zelda sidekick ever.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Luigi
    Midna

(Sorry Klippy, can't overlook Twilight Princess. It's a fave. xoxo)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    And so, ladies and gentlemen, the final showdown is here. It was an EXTREMELY close battle between Ellie and Luigi. The votes were 7-6 in favor of the little brother. It almost ended in a tie! Diddy was not so lucky and lost to Midna 9-4. Sorry to see you go, little monkey.

Time to vote for the winner of this showdown. Reminder to all: the winner of the showdown selects the next topic! If you have voted even ONCE in the showdown, you will receive an emblem! Thanks for participating, folks, and good luck to our two finalists...

VS.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Midna. She may have beaten my Daxter, but I much prefer her to Luigi. Nothing against him, but I just feel like she suits the sidekick role more. I kind of think of Luigi as more...on his own these days. Or the 2nd player option in old games.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I would have had more trouble voting for the winner if Ellie had made it through, but anyways Midna wins this one hands down.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Gotta go with my home girl Midna. Luigi's great and all - loved him in Luigi's Mansion - but the coward stands no chance against the sassy and lovable Twilight princess when it comes to being a sidekick. I mean...doesn't Mario have to save Luigi 9/10 times? Some sidekick pffff.

Last edited:

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
    Everyone I didn't know is gone (and I missed the entire semifinals), so it's time to assist the final vote!

Luigi, y'all! He is even better than Mario! He has a more fleshed-out personality (scared is better than generic hero-type), and his jumping ability is that which legends are made on. Somehow, Twilight Princess was overlooked by me, so I don't know a whole lot about Midna. The only thing i'll give her is that I'd wear her hat.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Well, seeing as Twilight Princess is one of my favorite games.... I kind of have to vote for Midna. She has a great personality, and nothing would have been possible without her. I also really like how while she was definitely considered Link's sidekick, she also made her own choices and actions. Plus, to me, (and I haven't played too many Mario games) Luigi doesn't really seem like Mario's sidekick but more of a secondary character.

Years
    Nooo, Ellie! D:

I vote for Midna. She's more of an actual sidekick than Luigi. I've never really played too far into Twilight Princess, but she's really cool from what I've seen. She has the better personality in my opinion.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I've never even played Twilight Princess, but I still enjoy Midna more than Luigi, so my vote goes to Midna.

Plus I'm mad that Luigi beat Ellie.

hi I sometimes wander from my home forum and vote in random threads sue me

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    hi I sometimes wander from my home forum and vote in random threads sue me

Please continue to! We love new faces here.

I'll cast my vote now as well. Luigi.

Not only does he help Mario in almost every game, but he is there for his brother when no one else can be. Luigi's Mansion, anyone? Luigi not only faced his greatest fears, but also conquered them, all for the sake of his kidnapped brother. When Mario needs help, who is there to jump in and assist like another person picked up controller two? Luigi.

Midna uses Link to her own ends and perhaps develops a heart after a time, but she's not the ultimate sidekick like Luigi (OR DIDDY). Finally, consider this: Luigi death stare.

*drops the mic*

Years
    Luigi is overshadowed by his semi-clone Mario in nearly every way.

I just find his character is bland emphasizing the lanky awkward and feeble mario bro, that has overlapping abilities to mario, but somehow doesn't really offer much to the duo other than a bit of comedy, in a series that has many more comical characters than Luigi. I will say Luigi's Mansion is an exception. Mario could never pull it off quite as well; however, does that make him a good sidekick?

The year of Luigi was stagnating for nintendo. Probably one of the worst years the Mario Series has presented since its inception. Sure, New Moon was fun, but that year didn't seem to have any fresh ideas or innovative and compelling games with high replay value (Don't get me started on the never ending tutorial that is highly overrated referred to as Dream Team). So both Nintendo suffered never before seen sales losses and fans were let down (the two go hand in hand). A sidekick should know his place, especially one that doesn't offer anything on his own standing that his partner already possess in greater volume.

Midna on the other hand offers something new to the Zelda Series. Sure, I think every Zelda game had unique partners, characters, and storylines. Twilight princess at the very least has the best sidekick of the series that ties well into the somber storyline.

She is not a clone of Link, neither link possesses any personality or skill traits of Midna, or vice versa. Though, they both share a common goal, well at least they eventually share this goal, as Midna reveals her own selfish motivations -- restoring her world and her own beauty/identity. But, think, she has never learned to show compassion or selflessness in her environment, Link (and Zelda) were able to show her this compassion, which gradually led to her change of heart, and humanization. In return, she was able to impart Link with the strength of staring fear in the face, while smirking. Reciprocal character development is a toughie to pull off, usually characters develop separately or all-together undergo the same revelations.

As far as personality goes, Midna is one of the most memorable characters and Zelda creators definitely pulled off her sarcastic, glib, charming, and playful demeanor perfectly. Those characteristics balance out Link's calm, stoic, and straight-forward attitude.

The plot actually shows the development of the characters' relationship as partners in a graduated fashion, that doesn't feel forced or unrealistic (as many games, even good ones, seem to force revelation after the other which seem a bit unauthentic to say the least)

This genuine struggle and actual development of a dynamic relationship trumps the static and unmoving/lighthearted bond between Mario and Luigi that rarely scratches beyond a surface-level relationship.

With that said, I can confidently cast my vote for Midna!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back