• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most Uncreative Pokémon Designs?

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
  • Everyone knows that nintendo has gotten super lazy and uncreative in their later years of pokemon. We can all admit that when comparing Gen I Pokémon to Gen VI, Gamefreak put in a lot more thought back then. So what do you guys think some of the most un-creative Pokémon designs Gamefreak has made are? Here are two that I think are terrible:

Garbodor: Who would make a Pokémon that is just, well, garbage... Literally, garabe. A living pile of trash? Just.. no.

Klefki: Creator 1: Ok, what Pokémon are we going to make next...
    Creator 2: *Looks at car keys* "I've got it. Car keys!"
    Creator 1: :') Its.. Genious.

Really.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2015
    Ugh I completely agree about Klefki. That Mon's design makes me annoyed.

I personally think a lot of designs from the first gen are really uncreative, but that doesn't mean they don't work. Ditto, Grimer and Muk are literally purple blobs but they're still kinda cool.

I really don't like Chespin's line, Voltorb + Electrode, Klefki as mentioned before, I also really dislike Tepig's line.

Ultimately though I think it comes down to preference, I bet some people like Klefki (grrr....)

Years
  • Although I do love my Generation V Pokémon, I have to throw a mention to Foongus and Amoonguss. They're basically the new Voltorb/Electrode in that they look like Poké Balls and can show up in the games appearing to be items.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Pachirisu is pretty bad IMHO. I understand it's the generational electric rodent, but it doesn't showcase any new features in the games.
    Up until last year, I would've called it completely useless.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Most of Gen V's poorly designed Pokémon suffer from the opposite problem of making designs too complex with clashing colour schemes, but Gen I is a big offender when it comes to sheer laziness.

Voltorb and Electrode have already been mentioned, but I'd like to nominate Exeggcute (they're just eggs with faces) and Seel (literally just a seal) as the laziest Pokémon designs.

Years
  • Yeah I love Gen 4s legendaries, gen 5s almost everything, and all of gen 6. Gen 3 was a good median between gen 1 and 2. But the original 151 felt mostly too bland or simple.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Most of Gen V's poorly designed Pokémon suffer from the opposite problem of making designs too complex with clashing colour schemes, but Gen I is a big offender when it comes to sheer laziness.

Voltorb and Electrode have already been mentioned, but I'd like to nominate Exeggcute (they're just eggs with faces) and Seel (literally just a seal) as the laziest Pokémon designs.

I dont' really see how seel is uncreative. A lot of Pokemon are just regular animals with a typing.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Seel the laziest? Then Growlithe is also lazy, since it's just a dog! Or Persian, just a cat with a gem on its forehead. Or Charizard, just a dragon.

1st gen had a simplicity that made Pokémon designs very clean. Possibly because of lack of detail of the Game Boy.

Years
  • Although it's already been mentioned, I have to say Grimer/Muk. Not only the fact that they're a blob of sludge, but... Grimer's evolution is to take the original blob and make it bigger?

Other than completing my Pokedex, I never did anything with them. Hell, I caught a Grimer, then caught a Muk, and released them both without training.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Most of Gen V's poorly designed Pokémon suffer from the opposite problem of making designs too complex with clashing colour schemes, but Gen I is a big offender when it comes to sheer laziness.

You make an excellent point there, I totally agree. Gen I does have a way of poor designing, but gen V suffered from over-the-top complex designs. And, in the end, those designs really made them look like junk.

Years
  • I give the first generation Pokemon a pass, since while in retrospect some of them are pretty boring, there was no real benchmarks they could draw off at the time.

One of the Pokemon that came to mind right away was Wingull. It doesn't look like much more than a cartoon sea gull, which is pretty boring. Another one is Litwick, which isn't much more than a candle with a smily face.

The most uncreative Pokemon that I can think of in recent memory though is Roggenrola. It's got a way too obvious pun for a name, and its design is nothing more than a couple basic shapes layered on top of each other. In fact, about a year ago I spent no more than 30 seconds drawing a Roggenrola, just to show how painfully boring it is. I'm not much of an artist, but if I'd taken the time to shade it, it'd be the exact same as the real thing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There are a lot, at least in my eyes, and from top of my head, one of them would have to be Muk.

Although I do like it in terms of design, as it's simple--in general, I enjoy seeing simplicity in Pokémon--but unfortunately, Muk seems to have a... bit too much of it, in a way. If it had a couple of extra body features here and there, I'm sure I would have appreciated it more.

Alongside, I also feel Linoone is slightly un-creative, due to similar reasons as above (it wouldn't have been an issue if it were to carry few more extra features on its body). Few others would be Mighteyna, Biberal, and Electrode family.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I know that electric mice bring the gripes a lot. On a similar note, GF developed their big rocky horned monster types a little too same-y in the first few gens imo.

rhydon.png
    nidoking.png
    nidoqueen.png
    kangaskhan.png
    feraligatr.gif
    tyranitar.gif
    aggron.png

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Everyone knows that nintendo has gotten super lazy and uncreative in their later years of pokemon. We can all admit that when comparing Gen I Pokémon to Gen VI, Gamefreak put in a lot more thought back then.

I actually think the design quality has been fairly consistent over the life of the series, with no single pokémon standing out as either terrible or uncreative in design.

If I had to choose a category of pokémon to criticize, it would be the ones that simply copied and pasted from real-world animals with very few if any frills added to them, such as Dewgong or Arbok or Kingler.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2016
    I'll choose one per gen:
    Gen I: Dugtrio or Magneton. They are... Well, 3 Diglett and 3 Magnemite.
    Gen II: Not sure here. All of Gen II Pokémon are very creative.
    Gen III: Seedot. It is an acorn. That's it. It's ironic because Shiftry is a Pokémon I really like.
    Gen IV: Pachirisu. Two Pikachu copies were enough. We don't need another one.
    Gen V: Garbodor. He's just a failed copy of Grimer/Muk.
    Gen VI: Klefki or Barbaracle. Some keys and... Well, something.

Years
  • I don't believe any are uncreative. The designs and even abilities/moves etc are actually based on quite creative ideas.

Best example from this thread is Klefki. Pagans believed that fairies stole small items like keys and that the fae were mischievous. Born from that comes Klefki, a steel/fairy type set of keys with the most mischievous ability, prankster.

Voltorb and Electrode, who appear around man-made power plants, appear to be the pokemon version of living bombs.

Diglett and Dugtrio - clearly they are moles. Moles pop up their heads up above the ground and rarely seen above the ground hence only seeing Diglett and Dugtrio heads.

Trubbish and Garbodor are the embodiment of land waste. It was never going to be pretty. Just like Koffing and Weezing are the embodiment of air pollution.

A lot of Pokemon are just based off of animals with some quirks to them either in colouring or additional things (like Floatzel's buoy looking thing around its neck, or Seaking's horn)

I have no issue in any design, really.

Years
  • I: Spearow/Fearow (generic)
    II: Remoraid/Octillery (forgettable)
    III: Regis (not pokemon-like, no faces)
    IV: Tangrowth, Licklicky, Heatran (ugly and bulky, without thought)
    V: Klink Line, Vanillish/Vanilluxe [not vanilite], Emboar, Heatmore
    IV: Klefki

Back