• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mwwwwraaaawwwwwrrr!!! I knew it was to good to be true.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Hello all yes its me again making another thread for your entertainment n_n. No thanks are necessary but yeah let me hush and get to the point

I'm sure we have seen various trailers of certain games are we were waiting its release. Or maybe we have eyehumped Youtube to see others play demos of those games elsewhere. A few months or a year has passed and the game is out yay. We have been saving all the money in our piggybanks just to rush to the nearest Gamestop and get our greasy hands on this game. The trailers were epic and the demos looked so OMGAWD AMAZING. We do 80m/h on the way home so we can pop this bad boy straight into our old dusty consoles. Our hearts throb, our mouths drool, we can't think straight cuz this game is what we have been waiting for so long.

The title screen comes up we press start and we play. The first 5 minutes were like moms home baked cookies. So sweet and nourshing. We can't stop we want more of it. So we play for at least an hour or so and my god............this game is the worst thing I had the pleasure of buying. The characters look horrible, the story sucks, more glitches than I can count, and to top it off the controls are worser than my grandmas coordination. THIS GAME IS UPRIGHT TRASH!!!

So basically Have you seen a trailer/demo of a game that looked so amazing but when you finally got it it was not what you expected. I know some of you didn't even read that scenario anyway >_>;

Have fun n_n.

Years
    Brawl was kind of disappointing, only because it was overhyped. Pokemon Battle Revolution has to be the most deceiving one; just look at this trailer.

Plus there's all those movie/tv licensed titles I got when I was younger.

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I remember that trailer, but thankfully didn't get the game. Maybe someday Nintendo will actually make something like that for real, and with great single-player features again, too. I won't get a game that depends that heavily on having other people to play with, especially random internet people.

Anyway, I honestly can't think of a game I got hyped about, bought, and got disappointed in. I actually get excited about games more often than I really end up buying them. Part of that is money, and often I can't afford something right away, which also leads to forgetting about it for a while since there's other stuff to focus on, and by the time I remember it again there's already substantial information available about how good it is and what's good/bad about it. I may even be able to play the game at a friend's house or something. Because of all this, it's really hard for me to get in a situation where I've bought a game and ended up hating it. I'm a college student with only so much money, so I gotta make my game purchase choices very wisely.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    inb4 MW2

I'm going to say Batman Arkham Asylum. Everyone says it's great, but I bought it and didn't really like it. Just not for me I guess.

Years
    inb4 MW2

I'm going to say Batman Arkham Asylum. Everyone says it's great, but I bought it and didn't really like it. Just not for me I guess.

I agree on Arkham Asylum.

Blur was the worst case of this, the demo made me think 'best racing game ever' and it was far from that.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Oh my goodness... I never saw any trailers for it or anything... I just remember my friend wanted my help in the game and knew the only way she'd get it was to let me play through it. She told me the game was pretty good, even though she'd only been through two chapters. So, I was excited to play the game after her description of the graphics. She gives me the case, and I didn't get home fast enough to keep my energy in check the whole time. The title screen came up....

Dawn of Mana....

I started, and was impressed at the game....

FOR ALL OF FIVE SECONDS.

The story was lame AND rushed, not to mention predictable, as were the characters therein... The enemies usually looked way too cute to be dangerous, not to mention how pathetically easy the game was. How she got stuck on the chapter two boss I will never know... None of the bosses even touched me. The final boss was even easier than the other bosses before it. It was a freaking joke. The ending, which was clearly supposed to be sad, made me laugh at how cheesy, corny and overdone it was.

It could easily have been the worst game I have ever played. I had to force myself to finish (painful and agonizing as it may have been) so I could honestly tell her the other chapters were not worth her struggle....

I now have the game... and have been unsuccessful in trying to sell it.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Can't think of any trailers but this is sort of related so:

Stumbled onto the Timesplitters 4 Wikipedia page a few years ago. Was just a stump article with a predicted release date for the game. Hit it up a couple of months later and find out they're considering putting it on the Wii. That's okay - I can deal with that. Check out the page a couple of weeks ago and find out the project has been put on hold.

:(

A sad day for pokecommunity.com poster Rekky.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Legends of Exidia to an extent. I decided to give DSiWare RPGs a shot after reading a bit about the game. Bad things happened.

Final Fantasy II would count by a large stretch because I thought it would be Square's seal of approval because the name Final Fantasy followed by a number was in it.

Kaiyori

Godzrilla hungry?
    Years
    Super Mario Galaxy lived up to it's hype, for the first five minutes.

Then it just got extremely repetitive...

But still a good game.

Same with Modern Warfare 2, really fun at first, but it burned out too fast. If Activision weren't so money hungry, and It was released a little bit later, It would've been a decent game. I'm not the keen for Black Ops, about 2 billions Wogs are going to buy it, just because it's CoD -.-

Anyway, Majority of games in my opinion are hyped up too much, whether it be by trailers, game sites previews (E.G IGN), No game will ever truly live up to it's hype FOR EVERYBODY.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I remember wanting Mario Party 3 really bad. Then I rented it and I never even got to play a game. I guess I rented a glitchy cartridge? But yeah, never got to even play a game...couldn't get past the opening screen.

PBR also comes to mind. I was expecting the next Stadium...boy was I wrong. Hopefully we can see a better 3D Pokemon game for the Wii when gen V hits. Gen IV suffered, definitely.

Mother 3.

One of the best games I have ever played but I got a little bit disappointed when I saw the cancelled Nintendo 64 version trailer.

It was also supposed to have an even more depressing ending than what it has on GBA. Personally, I'm glad this one was cancelled, because the result we got on GBA is just gorgeous. I honestly don't think it would have been accomplished on the N64, however that's not to say graphics are everything. And even if it had come out on N64 as planned, it still would probably be the brilliant game we know and love today, but in 3D. I'm happy with what we got, though. An English patch, that's what we got. Haha.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I never actually bought it, but Legendary: The Box looked like the best thing I'd ever seen, but I heard it was just crap and haven't even bothered to try the demo. :/ Disappointing considering the idea.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    Generally, all games are hyped up too much for what they're worth. And often, the ones that seem the best in the beginning become the worst at the end.

DrawnToLife - TheNextChapter, was a dissapointment. The first was fantastic, and I adored everything about it. But then I bought the second game, but this one dragged on, and on, and on. I still haven't finished the game, and I probably never will...

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
    Trauma Center for the DS.
    Not saying it sucked, though. It had a good trailer and good reviews from my friends, so I decided to give it a go.
    When I started playing, I started to realize that it wasn't really my thing. It was a good simulation, but I wanted there to be more... idk, "story-telling", I suppose. From the trailers, I immediately thought I was going to love it, but as it turned out, it lacked something I actually pine for in games.

Esmas

General
    Years
    Well to me, Brawl and Mario Kart were somewhat disappointing. They're good games, don't get me wrong, but they didn't really live up to their predecessors imo (Brawl kinda did, but I was hoping for more, I guess :/). I can't really think of much that were terribly disappointing...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is why free gameplay demos exist (admittedly only for PC games, far as I know). All the games I've found to not be for me in the end have been a result of me neglecting to actually look into them properly.

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
    >_> FFXIII...Ungh I hate this game, the only good thing about it, are the AMAZING graphics. They are honestly the best that I've ever seen in a game (And I had it on the 360 with a standard definition TV...I can only imagine what it would look like on a PS3 w/ HD TV)

Eh the gameplay was boring, the characters were unlikeable (With the exception of Sazh), the story was bland and very dull, and the game was way too linear...I doubt I'm ever going to get a new FF game again >_> Square should have spent less time on the graphics and more on gameplay and story...

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    Probably ToS: Dawn of the New World.
    The tutorial section was bloated, explained very basic concepts, and quite frankly just took too long. From what I recall, you didn't really have the option of skipping it either.

The story was pretty odd in a way. While I didn't have too much gripe with the story itself, the way it was told really bothered me. It felt like there were some parts that moved needlessly fast and I didn't get much out of them, and other parts that just felt like I was in a daze. It wasn't really slow, but it just felt so beside the point. This was only reinforced by the constant hail of boss fights that appeared at almost every turn that really only served to confuse me. The scaling on the boss fights seemed pretty crazy as well, because I never knew when a boss fight was coming I also never knew when to prepare myself for one.
    In fact from what I remember there were so many boss fights that in the start at least, there were more boss fights than locations in the game. One town had two boss fights inside of it before you even got to the dungeon that you went to the town to visit in the first place.

The worst part was the in between though. There were some parts that really reminded me of the nice paced story telling of the original Tales of Symphonia. It'd start getting interesting and I'd feel like there would really be some interesting dialogue, but all of a sudden I just find myself in another boss fight, the character development felt crushed by how forced the confrontations were. It really made me wish that they had just removed the good parts completely, so I could really just say that it had no redeeming qualities, but that isn't the case.

To me it feels like this game could have used a little more reviewing before it was released. It should be obvious that if you're making an RPG, people generally tend to get involved with the story as well and like to see the characters grow and change, like an interactive novel. But instead I just get something that resembles a script actually had effort put into only to be **** blocked by the fact that someone decided it would be cooler if there was a giant action scene to try replace any meaningful dialogue. Hey idiots, games like Ocarina of Time wouldn't be nearly as revered as they are if they didn't have any character development, and your game isn't any different.

I guess the real part that bugs me about this game is that it's the sequel to something I really enjoyed. The Original ToS, or Tales of Destiny for that matter had an interesting battle mechanism while still telling a story that captivated the imagination and gave us characters that we could both love and hate from both sides of the conflict. Instead I just get left with this mushy feeling of, "If only it had been a little bit different."

Back